Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:45 AM   #1

I was overall happy with my HD1000, but decided to preorder the HD1010 since it was only about $100 more than what I had paid from Amazon.

In the mean time, I also decided to try out the Sony HDR-TG1 which is arriving today. I'm a little concerned about editing videos from the Sony on my Mac and how easy it will be to upload to Vimeo and YouTube.

I read that the EIS is suppose to be much better and the field of view slightly wider than the HD1000. I bought the accessory wide angle lens for my HD1000, but found it too big and too much of a hassle to use. In one review I read that you could use the magnetic wide angle lenses similar to the ones people use with the HD700.

My questions will probably be answered tonight and over the weekend when I can get some video.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:06 PM   #2

EIS by default is inferior. I don't think there could ever truly be an EIS algorithm that doesn't in some way degrade quality with some type of artifacting. But yeah, talk on the net is the TG-1 EIS is better than average. I don't think the HD1010 EISwill be improved. Even if it were, I just hate the idea of EIS. They really need to listen to the many thousands of consumers shouting for OIS! I mean, don't they followup on the talk about their products like any good business should do? I think with OIS Sanyo would garner a much larger consumer base. The two main issues with the cam are the poor stabilization and focus hunting. They say in the HD1010 they've addressed the focus hunting but I'm really skeptical here. I think they'reprobablyBS'ing and the new cam will still have some focus issues. But who knows, maybe they really did :O

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:10 AM   #3

You know what id buy in an instant? The new sony hdr-cx12 features with 10.2MP in a xacti type unit!!!!

evangelionpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:54 AM   #4

I've played around with the TG1 for a few hours now and my intial impressions are really good. Stabilization works much better than HD1000, low light ability and focus are much better. I'm not sure I can live with the file format though. I will be taking more video over the weekend.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 7:48 AM   #5

Strange, we have another user here (can't remember who) that triedthe TG-1out and said the low lightcapability was much worse than the HD1000.

Rev.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:32 PM   #6

Overall I think I'm going to return my TG1. The file format is just too hard to deal with in comparison to the HD1000.

I do like a couple things with the Sony though.
  • *Smaller size
    *Better autofocus
    *Much better image stabilization compared to the Sanyo HD1000
    *Better low light ability, but still not good compared to a lot of other cameras, I think this might be related to having better focus. My HD1000 clips would constantly go in and out of focus indoors.
    *5.1 Surround sound recording feels really immersive when played on our home theater
    *Much nicer packaging, the out of the box experience is better, it feels like a premium product. The optional slip case is beautiful.

Some things I don't like in comparison to the HD1000
  • *Small battery life (45 mins vs 2.5 hrs), defeats the purpose if you have to carry another battery all the time
    *AVCHD format
    *Very expensive memory stick vs SD cards
    *No in camera editing, no ability to combine or cut out sections of video
    *Low quality still images
    *No hot/cold shoe for external video light
    *No external headphone or mic port
    *Does not stand on it's on a tabletop, you have to use a tripod
    *No remote control included
    *No HDMI connector on docking station, only a mini HDMI on the camera and does not come with cable / adapter
    *Costs more if you include the cost of getting a 16gb memory card, remote control, etc
    *Sanyo has a 720p/60fps mode which makes fast motion very smooth
    *Sanyo includes a complete printed manual, where the TG1 manual is on PDF

Please let me know if you had specific questions. I'm probably going to return my TG1 when the Sanyo HD1010 comes out. I think I'm going to be willing to give up the smaller size for the improvements and MUCH greater convenience of the MP4 file format.

Here are some clips I made with the HD1000, no clips from the Sony yet because the AVCHD format is a pain in the bottom to convert in comparison. We might go back to the beach this weekend or next weekend with the TG1 so I will probably have a very similar clip. If you're a registered user on Vimeo, you can download the source video to your computer.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:25 PM   #7

Tummy, what is the file extention the TG-1 uses? If it's .mts have you tried simply renaming the files to .mpg? For the HF100's files this is the easiest way to work with them.

Rev.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:04 PM   #8

I've tried renaming the MTS files to MPG but they still don't play. Quicktime doesn't open it at all, and VideoLan player plays audio, but the picture is frozen.