Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:15 PM   #11

klas wrote:
Quote:
Do you use zoom at all with EIS off?
Sure I do. Most of the time when I make an effort to steady the camera I can get good steady footage. But a lot of the time I'm not thinkingordon't careand I'll just zoom in and then the video will be shaky. When I do steady myself I will rest the butt of the camera on something or lean up against something, or rest my elbows on something. On a decenttripod I can't imagine it being shaky. Are you using a cheapo tripod? You also have to remember it's a tiny camera. If the wind blows it can make the camera sway, even on a decent tripod. Do you havea medical sensistivitytomotion or something?

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 6:40 PM   #12

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I remembered when first seeing the Akibara review I thought the 1080/30p video looks really jerky when panning from the sky down to the pond and didn't know why it looked like that. After seeing some HD1010 Vimeo videos I noticed the jerkiness in all of them and saw some comments on it there and around the net. Personally, I think the EIS sucks and ruins the image quality so I leave it off.

Rev.

Agreed. After having some really bad issues with EIS, I learned quickly that my video was actually, and almost in all cases, better with EIS off. The EIS can introduce MORE shakiness when doing anything except holding the cam still. If you move at all, be it panning, tracking, whatever, EIS can literally ruin the video. I never use it anymore -- yes, it sucks THAT bad. Learn to hold it as steady as you can, and I bet your video will get better with EIS off. Just one man's opinion of course, but I've owned a CG65, HD700, and an HD1000 at this point.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:36 AM   #13

I agree, Taynt3d. I have just finished running some key footage from my HD700 through Gunnar Thalin's deshaker for Virtualdub. It is very, very much better than the camera, and it smooths out the zooming too.

In the HD700 there is the added problem that you lose about 20% of the image width when you switch EIS on. Altogether not nice...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:07 PM   #14

Two of four reviews on Amazon mention the lack of optical stabilizer.
mckoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:35 PM   #15

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
In the HD700 there is the added problem that you lose about 20% of the image width when you switch EIS on. Altogether not nice...
Which is really bad when you consider shooting in widescreen on the HD700 probably cuts off about 15-20% of the field of view itself. So, shooting in HD in an HD format with EIS on with an HD700 really limits field of view. For all you HD700 owners out there, try that sometime. Turn off EIS and go into a 640x480 mode. If you only shoot HD with EIS, you won't believe the difference, it's like slapping a wide angle lens on the camera (almost).
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:38 AM   #16

Hmmmm

I was just about to ask if I was better off buying the HD1010 instead of the HD1000 that I am about to buy, but after reading the jerkiness problem I think I will go for the HD1000 and save a few pounds

renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 9:52 AM   #17

Well, the jerkiness only appears when using the EIS which most people turn off as it degrades image quality. So if you're going to be shutting it off anyway then you might want to keep thinking on which to get.

Rev.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:39 AM   #18

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Well, the jerkiness only appears when using the EIS which most people turn off as it degrades image quality. So if you're going to be shutting it off anyway then you might want to keep thinking on which to get.

Rev.
Since writing my post I have been thinking the same thing..... for me to get the HD1010 over the 1000 its going to cost me an extra £60. Do you think its worth the extra (approx $120.00) :?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:21 PM   #19

Hmmm... can't really say for sure. I have the HD1000 and love it. I guess it also depends how you'll be viewing your videos. If you plan to primarily play them on your computer then I would get the HD1010 as it records progressive scan in 1080. Otherwise you'll see interlace lines if your monitor is less resolution than 1920x1080. If it's only 60 pounds more then I guess you should probably get the HD1010.

Rev.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:26 PM   #20

I will be using it to edit on the computer and create DVD's.

From all the clips I have seen on Vimeo, I am very impressed with the video quality and can really see the difference from the HD700, which was my initial choice.

I think I will ponder a bit more..... I would say I am about 70% for the 1000 at the moment. £60 is'nt a lot in isolation, but when you look at the whole price it makes it seem an awful lot of money. Although I dont use my current camera that often, I still do like to have something that produces good results :-D