Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1

The HD1010 is arriving tomorrow, hopefully before we leave for July 4th weekend in Philly this year. I still have my Sony TG1 and after I directly compare the cameras, one of them is going to be returned.

I've been having a lot of trouble viewing the AVCHD video from the Sony on my computer. I finally bought Toast Titanium and found the video player able to play the files. Unfortunately my Macbook Air is too slow without dropping most of the frames. When I convert the files using Toast, the interlacing looks very annoying and I haven't found a setting to remove it without making the videos look very soft.

I find it highly annoying that there is no progressive mode on the TG1, especially since I mainly view the videos on my computer and share videos with my family over the web. I'm only home on the weekends so my secondary viewing is on the PS3 on my HDTV. The MTS files from the TG1 play on the PS3, but there is a couple second delay before each clip plays.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:29 PM   #2

I've had success playing high def AVCHD files from a Canon HF100 with the Oxygen player. I downloaded a free "Lite" version a few months ago. It plays 1080i files very smoothly on my 3 year old laptop.

I've been able to play 720p files at 60fps from the Sanyo HD1000 with GOM player and Windows Media Player (classic version with codec updates). I can't play the 1080i files from the Sanyo though. Haven't found anything yet that will play those files on my laptop.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:36 PM   #3

Those don't work on the Mac.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:40 PM   #4

I'm guessing the AVCHD from the Sony TG-1 is somehow different than the AVCHD in the Canon HF100 no? Because I can say for sure I've downloaded raw files from the HF100 and renamed the file extention to .mpg and they played perfectly. Tummy, I know you said you've tried the extention renaming with no success so I'm curious as to whether the codec used by the Sony is somehow different. Tummy, if you can post a clip from the TG-1 I can have a go at getting it to play on my machines (albeit Windows XP machines).

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 2:56 PM   #5

Try this:

http://www.theartofmurder.com/00008.MTS (71mb)
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:18 PM   #6

Tummy, tried the file. It plays back 100% perfectly fine on my Windows XPwork PC (Core 2 Duo @ 3ghz) when I rename it to .mpg. I've also tried importing it in the Vegas Pro 8 installation here at my work PC and unfortunately I couldn't get it imported no matter whether it was named .mpg or .mts. I get "The file is most likely corrupted or of an unknown format". That part is a pain in the @ss! Overall though the video quality looked really nice.

*EDIT - forgot to note... when I tried clicking onFile -> Properties in Windows Media Player it frozeMedia Player. So that too is notcool.

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:59 PM   #7

Argosy wrote:
Quote:
I've had success playing high def AVCHD files from a Canon HF100 with the Oxygen player. I downloaded a free "Lite" version a few months ago. It plays 1080i files very smoothly on my 3 year old laptop.

I've been able to play 720p files at 60fps from the Sanyo HD1000 with GOM player and Windows Media Player (classic version with codec updates). I can't play the 1080i files from the Sanyo though. Haven't found anything yet that will play those files on my laptop.
When I tried to go to the web site for the Oxygen player, it was no longer up. Apparently, the web site and product are no longer available since it infringes on some third party intellectual property.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:16 PM   #8

I convert out of AVCHD format when pulling down to 24p. Then edit and archive only the 24p. I bought the $15 version of CoreAVC as it is the fastest and best codec for H.264 at the moment.

A losslesss H.264 format intermediate (or maybe x264 quantizer=10) will give files almost as compact as AVCHD with no visible loss in quality. See my post at
http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=11136

Get the latest files from Soupafresh's link at the bottom of that post. The current batch and AVS files I use are:

xport -h "trevmar.mts" 1 1 1
rename bits0001.mpa trevmar.ac3
rename bits0001.mpv trevmar.avc
DGAVCIndex -i "tremar.mts" -o "trevmar.dga" -e
azid "trevmar.ac3" "tremar.wav"

and the AVS file:

loadplugin("dgavcdecode.dll")
video=AVCSource("trevmar.dga")
audio=wavsource("trevmar.wav")
audiodub(video,audio)
AssumeTFF()
Tdecimate()

Oh - and you can concatenate successive MTS files merely by using a command like
copy /b 1.mts+2.mts trevor.mts

Enjoy!

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 5:23 PM   #9

I don't know why you guys have such a difficult time with avchd, I have klite code installed and able to play .mp4 or .m2ts or .mts just fine. They are equaly power hungry for playback or editing I am glad to find that .mts from HF100 is just as easy to work with as .mp4 from HD1000, previously I was scared of AVCHD format though.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:11 PM   #10

I got back from a couple days in Philly for Jul 4th holiday.

Overall I think the HD1010 has some improvements from the HD1000, but the image stabilization is not much, or at all, better than the previous model. I like everything about the HD1010 except for the stabilization, especially compared to the smaller Sony TG1 I brought along as well.

Here is a clip from the HD1010 at max 10x zoom, handheld, 1080p/30. You can see some shake. I found that if you keep very still, it does a pretty good job, but if there is any panning or more movement than it can handle, it jerks the picture as it keeps up. Not sure how else to describe it. http://www.vimeo.com/1287895

You can also see the same effects in the other HD1010 videos on Vimeo. The stabilization is just not as buttery smooth as what I found on the Sony TG1.

I took the same scene with the Sony TG1 and you will see that it is smoother.
http://www.vimeo.com/1287979

While watching similar scenes on my PS3 and 1080p 50" plasma, the video from the HD1010 makes me feel a bit motion sick, while the video from the Sony is very smooth. I get motion sick from shaky video easily though. The movie Blair Witch Project made me vomit!

The LCD on the TG1 is better than on the HD1010. Colors are bright and look very nice. The HD1010 looked dark and dull in comparison. Also, my HD1010 kept saying that the Brightness menu item was not available, so maybe with a firmware update, that will be fixed.

In low light scenes, the TG1 appears to have better exposure. My black dog looked black, where the HD1010 pumped up the scene and made her fur look purple in places, and showed a lot more noise.

I find that the video from the HD1010 is sharper than the TG1. I'm guessing that is due to the larger sensor size, large lens, and higher resolution recording (1080p vs 1080i)?

I feel the autofocus on the Sanyo has improved, but I don't think I have any evidence to prove it. It still has trouble focusing on my black dog.

A couple other things. They replaced the "Full Auto" button with a button called "Photo View". This makes the LCD switch to 4:3 picture mode and overlays guides for the area that would be captured for video. I find it much less annoying using this mode when composing still images and more useful than the "Full Auto" mode in the HD1000.

The logos on the camera were all in gold, except they forgot to change the silver on the lens cap. The TG1 has an automatic lens cap, which was very nice and made it quicker to whip it out and start shooting.