Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:05 AM   #1

Hi All

I was really happy last week I got a HD700 for £150 off Ebay, Nearly new condtion most things in the bags sealed up. I really enjoyed using it at Glastonbury, the quality on the camera monitor and when I play it through my telly is great , really happy with my first digicam.

I am a little worried and concerned now though as I am trying to edit stuff on my Laptop. What I hoped for with the cam was the ability to plug the sd card straight in to my laptop and mess around with the clips a little bit and store and watch them on my laptop or external HD.

The reality at the moment is the video in quicktime and adobe is jumpy and unwatchable. I have read bits about computers not being quick enough and dropped frames in transfering the data. My laptop is newish has 2gb Ram, 1.66 Dual Core ,5400rpm Hard Drive.

Can one of you knowledgable and helpful posters tell me what to try ?

I know their is a thread on this cam, but after the 500th post I figured I would start a new one to answer my worries. Hope this is ok and apologies if it is covered elsewhere.

justin.merdeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:30 AM   #2

Try downloading ffshow, this works better for me than than quicktime. When the recordings are playing in quicktime what is the cpu usage? also some gfx cards help offload some of the cpu but as you have a laptop it's unlike this will help you.
If all this doesn't help than you might have re-encode to less intensive codec such as divx.
I have trouble with editing in videostudio 11 and I have a faster cpu, I generally tend to recode to HDV if I'm doing a big edit as it is easier to work with for me.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:30 AM   #3

Sorry new to this, is ffshow a media player or a codec ?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:50 AM   #4

Download this codec pack:

http://www.download.com/Media-Player...dlPid=10846125

Make sure when installing you uncheck the boxes to install the other two softwares as they're just IE toolbars and junk like that. After it's installed open the file in Windows Media Player. You can open it in any version but I prefer the older "Classic" version which is present on all Windows XP machines. The file is called mplayer2.exe and it's in the root of the Windows Media Player directory. You can simply click Start -> Run and type mplayer2.exe and it should launch.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:16 AM   #5

Sorry I meant to type fddshow, look on google it will point you in the direction. justin.merdeka wrote:
Quote:
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6

herbs wrote:
Quote:
Sorry I meant to type fddshow, look on google it will point you in the direction. justin.merdeka wrote:
Quote:
Heh, got it wrong again Herbs. It's FFDSHOW. But, it's included in the Media Codec Pack I linked to so if he installs that he'll get it as well.

Rev.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:47 PM   #7

Thanks a big improvement, the audio does crack up a little though, and it is running slightly faster than the video.

Any other tips to try, or is this just my laptops performance.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:02 PM   #8

Well, the problem with laptops, and some desktop PC's, these days is they have video cards that are built onto the motherboard and share system memory. Integrated video cards are generally far lower in performance than a seperate stand alone video card. Of course, in a laptop you really have no choice. So yes, you will suffer a performance hit. Is your processor a "Core Duo" or a "Core 2 Duo"? If it's a Core Duo that also may be the cause - lack of CPU power. Core Duo's were very poor processors hence the release of the wonderfully performing Core 2 Duo. You also may have a bunch of unnecessary startup applications running in the background slowing your computer down. You would need to disable all that is unnecessary from automatically starting up.

Rev.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:06 PM   #9

Thanks Rev, the processor is a 1.6 pentium dual core, Not really technically minded is this something I can upgrade on a laptop ?

Also does anyone know if I wanted to stop unneccessary processes in Task manager what do i need to keep running ?

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:16 PM   #10

justin.merdeka wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Rev, the processor is a 1.6 pentium dual core, Not really technically minded is this something I can upgrade on a laptop ?

Also does anyone know if I wanted to stop unneccessary processes in Task manager what do i need to keep running ?
Technically it is possible to upgrade the processor on a laptop, but unless you're a tech nerd or IT professional just forget it. Trust me - I'm an IT Professional :-) There are way too many factors involved - up to what ghz the motherboard can handle, can it handle the bus speed of the new CPU, is it the correct socket type, etc etc etc. So for the sake of simplicity and being realistic let's just say no.

For the processes to shut down, well that depends entirely on your computer and installed software and devices. basically, if you use msconfig you can uncheck (turn off) pretty much everything under the startup tab. However, if you have a printer it may turn off your printing monitor software, your audio/video applets, and anything else you may actually need to use. You have to know what can be disabled with little effect to your functionality - again... it helps to be an IT geek or have a friend who is one. When disabling things you can actually mess up and make your machine unbootable (if you're disabling Services for example) so it's best to know what you're doing or have someone on hand who does.

Rev.