Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1

Hi- My hD700 which has been given TLC since day one basically quit recording last night. When I turn it on I hear this buzzing noise coming from the lens area like it is trying too focus but after that it just sits there and the top led just blinks red- won't stop untilI take the batteryout. The time is constantly showing on the screen. Any suggestions? I've tried swapping batteries, etc. but still the same result.

If I power up in playback mode it works fine.

Looks like I'll be calling Sanyo service Monday. Anyone know the charge for labor?

thanks
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:39 AM   #2

You may want to try removing the sdhc card and replace with another one. Maybe the card has problem instead.
vacuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3

Hi- thanks for the reply. Tried that but still get the same start-up results. I know it has to do with the auto-focus start-up routine.It sounds like the lens gearing is disconnected from the motor and it just whines/whirls now for 2-3 seconds. Perhaps some gearinggot stripped? I wish I could tear it apart and review but that surely would void any warranty I have left.

I'll call Sanyo Monday to determine how to get it fixed. This is just a bummer since I expected this to last for a while longer. I hope the costs aren't extreme.

brian-
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:51 PM   #4

sounds like the plastic gear stripped, and do you hear any looseparts inside moving when you shake?

no possable way to get t othe manual focus at al, but that may not help but who knows

sorry 2 hear but it happs.

labour I bet it be 55.00 per hour and part
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:03 PM   #5

It came back to life

I left it in the charger overnight and tried it today; sure enough it's working once more! I'm not sureexactly why because that night it stopped I tried my other fully battery and still no-go. Can't be related to the battery being low.Recently it has been humid where I live- Vancouver, WA- and I did have the camera in the car for days prior to using it the other night. Perhaps humidity played a factor here???? Perhaps I got lucky. Perhaps time for eBay?

Cross fingers the xacti keeps working.

brian

Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:08 PM   #6

some airtime may have been needed even keeping the charger on generates heat.

Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:07 PM   #7

A battery can go high-impedance, and not have enough current to drive (eg) motors properly. Check the battery which doesn't work and make sure it still is functioning correctly. Batteries do get old, you know
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:10 PM   #8

Both batteries are fine. I test the first one out today and it's working just like it did before. Shot about 30 minutes of video segments and periodically closed and opened the camera. Still ticking.

Hard to say what happened but all seems good now. I'll just not store my camera in the car anymore.:?

-B
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:50 AM   #9

that's excessive heat, I am sure I am doing the same with my other cam and never came into this problem but it sounds like it is stressed, and some cooling was needed if that was the case. maybe a repeat let us know if it continues

blegate wrote:
Quote:
Both batteries are fine. I test the first one out today and it's working just like it did before. Shot about 30 minutes of video segments and periodically closed and opened the camera. Still ticking.

Hard to say what happened but all seems good now. I'll just not store my camera in the car anymore.:?

-B
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:22 AM   #10

Just in case this helps someone stumbling across the thread years from now, I had the same problem as the OP - identical camcorder, same symptoms.

Spent a week trying everything I could think of and hoping that mine, too, would suddenly start working again - but it didn't. Eventually (and after trying to take the thing apart), a well-aimed blow to the top side of the camera with the blunt end of a screwdriver did the trick!

Whatever bit of mechanism had gone out of whack clicked back into place and the cam is fine again - touch wood.

Before the camera died and after it woke up again it was having trouble finding focus. A good lens clean solved that, but I wondered if the problem was caused by the focus mechanism somehow going off the end of its thread when hunting in the first place...?
Fujifilm L55
Sony HVR-A1 (work)
gadg17 is offline   Reply With Quote