Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:56 AM   #11

Rev2010
**EDIT - by the way, MJ, Vimeo only supports 1280x720 files.[/quote]

You can upload higher resolutions, but they get converted. The original file is not modified though.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:09 PM   #12

That might be true for progressive scan videos but every 1920x1080i video I've uploaded comes out completely distorted.

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:16 PM   #13

that's not true, I posted plenty positive comments about Sanyo and I am not trying to convince anyone to dump it for HF100 or other better alternatives.

But, if someone didn't notice Sanyo HD1000 (just like HF100)is targeted to amature user and when the main feature like auto focus barely works I question the quality of the product.

My last hope was that HD1010 was an improvment in focusing and stabilization department, but from the samples that I've seen I don't think it's worth an "upgrade". Maybe they'll get it next time (HD2000), but until then I am forced to use alternatives that might be slighly bigger, but at least they work as advertised.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:37 PM   #14

klas wrote:
Quote:
I question the quality of the product.
Well that's fine, but your response contained no value and was rather sarcastic. Again, I can't see how you say things like the autofocus "barely works". Am I just a lucky user?? Cause I don't see hours of blurred footage when I look at my videos. I've posted many videos and none have any serious focus problems. Yes, we're all aware of some focus hunting issues but if you actually paid attention to what theguy wrote he said it's staying out of focus for extendedlengths of time. That doesn't quitesound like the focus hunting we're all wellaware of.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:43 PM   #15

klas wrote:
Quote:
But, if someone didn't notice Sanyo HD1000 (just like HF100)*is targeted to amature user
I actually think they're different target markets. I think the entire Sanyo line is more gear towards point and shoot, casual use video, keep it in your pocket everyday type users, where the Canon lineup, excluding the TX1, is more for longer "events" type shooting. The HD10XX is actually almost 1/2 the size of the HF100 in volume, so fits in your pocket more so than the brick shaped / traditional Canons. People do not carry the bricks with them everyday, but will break them out for weddings or other special events.

You can also see this is the case since Sanyo has stuck with the MP4 format which is easier to upload to web sharing sites like Vimeo and Youtube, unlike Canon which uses AVCHD and requires editing / exporting before you can share them.

In any case, with the improvements in the HD1010, I don't think autofocus is an issue anymore.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:48 PM   #16

Tummy wrote:
Quote:
klas wrote:
Quote:
But, if someone didn't notice Sanyo HD1000 (just like HF100)is targeted to amature user
I actually think they're different target markets. I think the entire Sanyo line is more gear towards point and shoot, casual use video, keep it in your pocket everyday type users, where the Canon lineup, excluding the TX1, is more for longer "events" type shooting. The HD10XX is actually almost 1/2 the size of the HF100 in volume, so fits in your pocket more so than the brick shaped / traditional Canons. People do not carry the bricks with them everyday, but will break them out for weddings or other special events.

You can also see this is the case since Sanyo has stuck with the MP4 format which is easier to upload to web sharing sites like Vimeo and Youtube, unlike Canon which uses AVCHD and requires editing / exporting before you can share them.

In any case, with the improvements in the HD1010, I don't think autofocus is an issue anymore.

I don't know what pockets you have, but HF100 fits in the same pocket as HD1000 and HF100 fits perfectly in HD1000 pouch. Personally, I don't consider HD1000 as "carry every day camera", for that I have Nokia N82 cellphone that shoots great vids at VGA resolution.

You also have to edit videos with Sanyo if you want to upload to youtube (or facebook) unless you shoot them in VGA quality which deffeats the whole purpose of HD cam.

Anyway, we got off topic here. The guy has issue with focusing which could be a faulty camera

Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:55 PM   #17

klas wrote:
Quote:
*I don't know what pockets you have, but HF100 fits in the same pocket as HD1000 and HF100 fits perfectly in HD1000 pouch. Personally, I don't consider HD1000 as "carry every day camera", for that I have Nokia N82 cellphone that shoots great vids at VGA resolution.
Here is a comparison of the Canon HF100 and the HD1000/1010. I excluded the roundness of the lens, but not the angle of the pistol grip. You can see that the overall volume is approximately 1/2 that of the HF100.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/...2b1e02d5_o.jpg

From the Sizeasy comparison you can really see that the HF100 is shaped like a brick.

I doubt you could fit the Canon HF100 in your pocket like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/...9ce73887_o.png

Quote:
You also have to edit videos with Sanyo if you want to upload to youtube (or facebook) unless you shoot them in VGA quality which deffeats the whole purpose of HD cam.
This is absolutly not true. I am able to upload the MP4 files directly from the HD1000/HD1010 onto Youtube. I don't have a facebook account to try.

Here is a recent ones I put up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPidenRQhZE

Here is one I just uploaded from the HD1010 shot at 1080p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAi3xjn7PEc
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:55 PM   #18

Something wrong witih your sizing there. I have both cameras and HD1000 is not half the size as you claim. HF100 is bigger, but not by much. It may not fit in a pocket like that, but I wouldn't dare to fit any camera in a tight jeans pocket. I use cases or bags.

Go again to sizeasy and try these numbers:

HD1000
4.4 x 3.5 x 2.1in

HF100
5.1 x 2.9 x 2.5in

EDIT: I see why your sizing is wrong, you used dimensions for Sony TG1 instead of HD1000 4.7x2.5x1.3in

Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:07 PM   #19

Are you dense or is english not your native language?

I specifically said in my posting that the numbers are EXCLUDING THE CURVATURE OF THE LENS and that volume is approximately accounted for by the space missing from the pistol grip. If both cameras were rectangles it would be an easy comparison using Sizeasy, but the Sanyo is much more ergonomic and curved than the other.

The VOLUME of the HD1000 is approximately 1/2 the VOLUME of the Canon HF100.

In any case, I also have a SONY TG1 and the size of the HD1010 is approximately the same, excluding the curvature of the lens on the side.

Another way to test it is to put both cameras in a plastic bag, and measure how much water they displace. You will see that the HD10XX is approximately HALF THE VOLUME of the Canon HF100.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:40 PM   #20

I just didn't read your post completely. Anyway, enjoy my...

Attached Images