Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:10 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I have been getting used to the SANYO HD1000 for the past 4 months. I've been using it at the 1280x 720 SHQ, 1280 x 720 HR, and lastly the 640 x 480 HRsettings.

This past week I placed the camera on a tripod and filmed about 20 minutes of a scene. The camera definitely seems to have difficulty focusing - especially when the lense is in the wide angle setting (not zoomed in at all). If I zoom in, the picture gets much sharper. As has been posted on this forum, when zooming the lense goes out of focus until you stop zooming and it has a chance to re-focus. I've tried zooming in and locking the focus and then zooming back out to the setting I wanted to shoot the scene at - but this is a real pain.

My question to the forum: Is/are you experiencing similar problems with pictures being out of focus at the wide angle setting?

:sad:

Michael
mjclements48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:16 PM   #2

The HD1000 is known to have focus huntingissues. I personally have not had much issue with it. I mean, every once in a while something may go out of focus for a quick second but it generally happens very rarely - mainly when there's a brightlybacklit subject or on objects of very low contrast (ie. white bird on a somewhat white or bright background). There was a firmware update but it was long ago enough that your camera should have it already applied. If you're having serious constant focus problemsthere may be something wrongwith your individual camera.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:57 PM   #3

Thanks Rev., I am aware of the focusing discussions on the HD1000 and also agree with your assessment that there must be something wrong with my particular camera. I just took a good look at some footage I took of my son's wedding last weekend - there are several minutes of footage where everything is blurry when the lense is being used at the wide-angle setting, once I zoom in a little things get sharper. The good news is that iMovie greatly helps re-focus the footage.

I've been using autofocus lenses since back in the 80s - something must be wrong with this camera... it is going into the shop to be checked!

Thanks for your reply - I greatly appreciate having access to this forum.

Michael
Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:44 PM   #4

Nothing wrong with your camera! What you are describing is not an issue, but a feature.

Sanyo engineers decided to included the latest and greatest feature called UFM or in other words "unpredictable focusing mechanism" rather than an outdated technology called auto focus which been used in cameras since 80s...
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:19 PM   #5

^^^ :roll: Ignore him. I think he's taken it upon himself to be the anti-HD1000spokesman now that he got his Canon HF100.

As we've been discussing, there is a known issue with focus hunting but it should be nowhere near as bad as you describe. Maybe there was a bad production run and a few units have more serious issues. You can check out my Vimeo page which has a few videos posted. In one or two of them you can witness some minor focusing issue but as you can see it's not armageddon which Klas makes it out to be. :roll:

http://www.vimeo.com/user408416/videos

If you can, please post a video showing the severity of your focusing problems. Vimeo is a free site for hosting video should you need a host.

Rev.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:31 PM   #6

klas wrote:
Quote:
Sanyo engineers decided to included the latest and greatest feature called UFM or in other words "unpredictable focusing mechanism"
Klas, may I ask why you continue to post nothing but negative comments regarding the Sanyo HD10** line? I think we've all gotten the point you hate Sanyo and are now happy with the HF100 and that's great, I'm glad you're happy. I'm just wondering why you're taking the time tocontinue non-constructiveposting in a forumfor a camera you'rereturning and no longer using. Why don't you just go post a few bad reviews on sites like Amazon and be done with it?

Rev.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:53 AM   #7

Thanks and I'll go and sign up at vimeo and post a typical shot. It can be completely in focus and then just go blurry for about 15 seconds or more than backinto focus. This only seems to happen at the wide-angle setting.

I've sent it into Sanyo service (SKOKIE TV SERVICE) in Wheeling, IL for a look.

I really like the features that SANYO has packaged into this camera - but given the fact that they just released a HD1010 model, something tells me they know there is an issue within this unit. I can live with the going out of focus while the lense is zooming, had a Kodak video camera back in the 80's that did the same thing. The trick is to zoom in, lock the focus and then back out to the setting you desire to shot at.

Thanks again to everyone!

:-)
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:16 AM   #8

I had a HD1000 and now a HD1010 and can say that the focus is better. Not sure how to quantify it exactly, but I will say that it is no longer a concern for me and is about the same as another camera I have tested, Sony TG1.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:34 AM   #9

mjclements48 wrote:
Quote:
but given the fact that they just released a HD1010 model, something tells me they know there is an issue within this unit.
But see, you're saying the camera *stays* out of focus for extended times like 15 seconds... that's simply not normal. I've never had out of focus shots last so long. You had even mentioned the wedding video you shot had minutes of out of focus footage, that just says to me it might be a defective unit. The focus hunting issues with the HD1000 are primarily that it fluctuates focus occasionally, as if it lost focus then regains it, or as if it can't decide which object to focus on. I guess I'll have to see your video to get a better idea.

*EDIT - by the way, MJ, Vimeo only supports 1280x720 files.

Rev.

Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:45 AM   #10

Thanks, let's wait to see what the service techicians can find out. I spoke to them this morning, I'm encouraged by what I'm hearing - they indicated that this is the leading reason for SANYO HD1000 cameras to be sent into them - focus issues! Apparently I'm not alone and it just may be a production issue.

I'll keep you informed once I hear from them. I'm compressing a short clip of the wedding to upload onto Vimeo. Unfortunately, my iMAC is telling me it is going to take 30 minutes toexport the clip from iMovie.