Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:16 PM   #1

Hi all,

My girlfriend is getting an HD1000 to take on a horse packing trip in the mountains. She would like a waterproof (or resistant), fairly rugged case to store the camera and one extra battery in. It would be great if it had a strap so she could hang it from her saddle.

Something along the lines of a Pelican case would be great, but the ones I was looking at all seemed to flat too lay the camera on it's side, unless I picked out an overall quite large case size.

Does anyone have a Pelican case number they can suggest or a different brand of compact, waterproof, hard sided cases to look at?

Thanks.
Ryan
rye_guy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:30 PM   #2

I use a Pelican case for my astronomy eyepieces. There are plenty of models available that you can 100% easily fit the HD1000 in. If you want a good waterproof case you've already found it, Pelican is the way to go. They have cases with cubed foam so you can custom shape the foam to fit your gear. Look at the dimensions on the websites.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:00 AM   #3

Well, I've got a few candidates so far...

1) Pelican 1050 http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1050 is just barely big enough to hold the camera by width, but wouldn't leave enough room for any foam (only 0.2" between the bottom and the lid when the camera is on it's side). I'm not sure of the dimensions of the extra battery, but there should be a couple inches of room at one end for it.

2) Pelican 1200 http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1200 would leave lots of room under the lid for the foam to arranged, but the darn thing is almost a foot long!

3) I also found this at another website. Otterbox 2500 http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/otterbox-2500/ It seems to match the "shape" of the camera the best. There's about an inch to inch and a half room in all directions, so that should leave enough room for me to add some foam (not included with case, although it is lined) and the extra battery.

I think the Otterbox is the most promising so far.
rye_guy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:07 AM   #4

Only problems with the Otterbox is 1. I don't see a handle and 2. No foam inside. The Pelican 1050 is too small, forget about it. The 1200 seems to be the best bet.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote