Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1

I'm having problems with external microphones. I bought a very nice Sony mic that should be compatible (ECM-MS908C), but the sound is very low. Even with the senstitivity turned up in the camera, I can barely hear the input unless the microphone is 10 inches from my mouth. (The microphone has batteries and it's turned on.)

I have the same problem with a small, unpowered audio technica stereo microphone. That microphone records very loudly with my digital audio recorder but at a very low level with the HD1000.

Has anyone found a mic that works very well with the HD1000?

I want a versatile microphone that can record environmental noises (e.g., the sounds of kids playing in a park) AND do a decent job of recording an interview in a quiet room.
photosensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:57 PM   #2

I used the Rode SVM as the external mic with my HD1000.
http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.ph...StereoVideoMic

It looked ridiculous, bigger than the camera, but it worked very well. You had to use an elastic band around the Dead Cat to stop the fur dropping down into the lens field of view, though. It sounded superb, and since the SVM has amongst the lowest noise level of any mic, it picked up every sound which my ear could. I didn't notice any sensitivity problems. I recall it 'just worked'.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:39 PM   #3

It looks like more than what I need.

I'd like to hear from anyone else who has tried other microphones. What was your experience?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:49 PM   #4

How do you actually KNOW it's too quiet?

Are you listening via the camera itself? With headphones plugged into the camera?

If yes, then maybe the playback volume is too low? Playback volume is different from recording volume and can only be set from the settings menu when in playback mode (using the switch) -- you can't change it when in recording mode.

If playback volume is set high or you are seeing this "low volume" in your video editor (small waveforms, low levels), then I'm starting to think you have a bad mic jack or some defect. Have you looked at the audio in an editor? Where are the levels?
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:03 PM   #5

At first I was listening to the camera itself (and comparing with and without an external mic). Then I downloaded the clips onto the computer and had the same results. In fact, looking at the clips in a video editor, you can see that the audio tracks are very different. The audio tracks with the built in mic have long spikes (strong audio), but the audio tracks with the external mic show very small spikes (weak audio).

I experimented with the external mic settings on 1, 3 and 5. Setting 1 was inaudible. Setting 3 was faint. Setting 5 was audible but very weak.