Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 19, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1

Hi
I have been researching so much on whether to go for the HD700 or the HD1000. After seeing various clips over on Vimeo I can clearly see that the HD1000 has the better quality video.

The only stumbling block now is the frame rate issue. As I am in the UK and we use PAL at 25fps, but the HD1000 uses 60fps or 30fps. How is that going to affect any DVD that I want to create. I read that to play it straight off the camera to a Plasma TV via HDMI I should set the camera to NTSC and the TV should cope.... id that correct?

I would either being using supplied software to create DVD or Vista DVD Creator if its up to the job. Whatever I use, I obviousley want to produce a PAL DVD so it can be played in any family members DVD player.

Also, I can't seem to find many user still photos taken with the HD1000. I have found plenty taken with an HD700 and have been quite impressed, but as they HD1000 is only 4MP I want to make sure its going to be ok for me. I currenty own a Sony DSC-H1 which take great 5MP stills.

Thanks in advance for your replies
renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:32 PM   #2

I was under the impression most current DVD players can handle a variety of formats but I'm not sure. I thought the HD1000 was sold for a few different regions, including PAL support but you have to look it up. However, there's something else you can do... you can download my videos which contain both NTSC (American format) files at 1920x1080/60i and also files at 1280x720 at 60 frames per second. You can burn them to a DVD and see if they play ok in your DVD player. Here's the link to my thread which contains download links to the files:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27

Let us know how it goes.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:14 PM   #3

I used the HD700 extensively in Sweden earlier this year. I did not notice any flicker, or other frequency issues. The HD1000 and HD700 use very similar electronics, so I suspect you will be OK in the UK.

I can use my Sony Vegas editor with input files in PAL, NTSC or 24p and it manages the conversion reasonably well. But I use AVIsyth for 24p pulldown. If you don't know what these terms mean, don't worry, everything will prpbably still work for you, and if not, you can come back and Google this stuff

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:14 AM   #4

Thank you for the speedy replies.

I am downloading the video clips now and I will try and make the DVD's later in the day.

I will let you know how I get on :-)
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:04 PM   #5

I'm using 3 Xactis, from C1 to CG65. All are in 30fps. I burn DVD in 30fps, because I do not want to convert to 24fps (long operation, poor quality, etc.) New DVD readers and all computers are able to play with any 24 or 30fps, but old DVD readers and some recents (I know one, branded Philips !) plays jerky with 30fps.

Sorry for my english...

m.alexis.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:25 PM   #6

The long and short of it is that the clips are recorded at 30fps or 60fps, this is not the standard PAL rate but the camera can play the clips at PAL rate through the TV, this option is selectable in the menus.

The problem arises when editing clips on the pc, if you encode to PAL DVD you will see a noticable jumping or stuttering in the clips. What most people so is burn to NTSC DVD which does not have this problem as the frame rate is the same. It does however not cause a big problem as 99% of dvd players play NTSC so it will never be an issue.

There are no PAL or NTSC models, it is a standard model that records at 30fps or 60fps at the different resolutions that are neither PAL or NTSC DVD standard so whatever you encode to the resolution will be changed anyway.

Hope that clears it up.

TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:34 AM   #7

Hi TheTurk

Thanks for your reply, that helps me undestand things better now.

I burnt the clips that "Rev2010" gave me links for to DVD and they looked and worked great on my Samsumg 50" plasma.

Wierd thnig is that both the 720p & 1080i clips played great on my laptop, but once I installed Quicktime, which my DVD software insisted on being installed, the 1080i clips just played green - the 720p were fine ?? codec issue I guess, however I was very impressed with the 720p clips, so I would probaby use that setting so I can get more on the SD card. As far as I can tell from the DVD software it was set to PAL and not NTSC, but it played fine.

As my Plasma is only 720p I guess it would be pointless recording in 1080i anyway?

Does anyone have any links to still images taken with the HD1000?

Thanks for all your help so far

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:30 AM   #8

I kick off QTime and i do'nt use any Mircosoft format.

From years now, I use ffdshow codecs (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/), and my video editing software (Magix) can read, edit and convert mp4 (in avi container converted with a freeware nammed MP4Cam2AVI : http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/)
m.alexis.m is offline   Reply With Quote