Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 30, 2008, 4:55 AM   #1

I happen to browse to Sanyo's website today and found this new model released today! Hope someone can get their hands on it soon and give us all a review. I was about to settle for HD700, but realize that the model is about 9 months old. Let's hope HD800 improves upon the many weaknesses of HD700.

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...800/index.html

http://www.sanyo.com/news/2008/07/30-1en.html

Cheers!

surfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:42 AM   #2

I have the HD700 and while it's sharper on HD TV than my older C6, I noticed the colours aren't as vibrant.

Would be interested to see how much better the video quality is improved compared to the HD700.
eyew28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:42 AM   #3

Sadly it looks to have the same lens which means it probably has the same narrow angle view and barrel distortion.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:34 PM   #4

There is an active discussion on the HD800 over on the general Hybrids forum at URL
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:05 PM   #5

I briefly had the HD700 after Amazon put it on sale for $300 some months ago. I tried hard to like the 700 but frankly thought it was terrible and didn't stack up to my CG65. My main complaint was washed out video and that it seemed to be on 2 or 3X zoom when opened at it's widest. Overall, I felt it was inferior to my CG65, which I still enjoy.

I have a Canon TX1 that has amazing quality for a small camera/corder but it is simply too difficult to use with one hand. Also, the teeeny LCD is a joke at max zoom.

One question not addressed in the HD800 promotional stuff is stereo recording. It doesn't state that it has it,......but even my CG65 does??

I'm hoping the 800 is "the answer", I like Sanyo's handling qualities and the .264 recording format. Hoping to hear some good stuff soon from early buyers.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 3:13 PM   #6

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
I briefly had the HD700 after Amazon put it on sale for $300 some months ago. I tried hard to like the 700 but frankly thought it was terrible and didn't stack up to my CG65. My main complaint was washed out video and that it seemed to be on 2 or 3X zoom when opened at it's widest. Overall, I felt it was inferior to my CG65, which I still enjoy.
I thought HD700 will outperform the VG series but look like it is not the case.
cathy9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:46 PM   #7

I've noticed that the HD800 is for sale on eBay by several vendors so hopefully we will have a user review very soon. I hope so. I love the size and form factor of the Sanyos,......but the full HD versions are too large for my purposes.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:41 PM   #8

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed that the HD800 is for sale on eBay by several vendors so hopefully we will have a user review very soon. I hope so. I love the size and form factor of the Sanyos,......but the full HD versions are too large for my purposes.
Are they VPC or DMX model? I wish it had come out white. I had seen the CG9 in white which look very nice.
cathy9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:44 PM   #9

The ones on eBay are VPC models. I'm not sure what that means, though??
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:58 PM   #10

Well, be careful about VPC and DMX. I bought a VPC-C6 from warehouse123.com and when it arrived, it turned out to be a DMX-C6. Not a big deal, but only because I never had problems with it (whew). DMX is the one from Asia that does not have warranty protection in North America. I seem to remember that somebody said that the new DMX models cannot be converted to English. (I was able to boot up the DMX-C6 and bungle my way through the menus and change it to English). So anyway, take care to get an English, VPC model.

I was half-prepared to make a credit card warranty claim if the camera ever failed, but because it says quite clearly on the box "no warranty in North America" I had a (sinking) feeling that the credit card company would notice that & decline any extended warranty. But as I say, I was fortunate and the issue never came up.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote