Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:19 AM   #91

Linux users are in for a treat now that I started working with the pitivi movie editor. It is complete with a timeline and fade effects for an even better video edit. It looks like an imovie editor. At the moment, I have not dabbled enough with this to post a tutorial. I am hoping one can help out but if not, ill post more info and the results. If you want to try it out, just install it off the ubuntu repos in add and remove. Ill post something if i get a chance.

1080i is not supported yet but you can work with 1080p and 720p
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:41 PM   #92

Hello! I think it's time to post information about a more advanced user interface. It is called blender. It runs in linux as well as on windows. I am not going to post any tutorials because someone already did it. I have been using blender for years and have had good results for video HD editing.

If you guys hate the simplicity of vegas and want something you can really work with 3D animation along with live action video, this program tops it all!

My rants on features:
  • FFMPEG integration.[/*]
  • Excellent memory management and stability.
    [/*]
  • HDR (high dynamic range) support.[/*]
  • OpenGL Interface
    [/*]
  • Used for broadcast quality HD content and at least one full-length feature film.[/*]
  • Includes a node-based compositing system.[/*]
  • Provides interfaces for Python and C/C++ plugins.[/*]
  • Runs on all platforms, i.e. you can share project files with Windows and Mac users.[/*]
  • Includes a full-blown 3D renderer that can be used for credits, subtitles, logos, special effects, particles, lens flares, glow, softbody, fluid, you name it.[/*]
  • Can treat video itself as an object in 3D space (e.g. for camera mapping effects). Google "camera mapping" for more info.[/*]
  • A lot of things that would otherwise require Adobe After Effects can be done in Blender as well.[/*]
http://www.blender.org/
This program was purchased and unshackled from legal rights of it's previous owners and is legally free for all to use for the open source community.
anyway, to get you started, you can download the windows version and also you can follow her tutorial. I have not tried the windows verion, only linux here so if something is broken, you can ask a question.
http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2008/0...-with-blender/

Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:16 AM   #93

Hello Cresho.

Thanks for your efforts. I'm new to video editing.

Need your advises.

I owe a HD1000 for more than 7 months now. Took more than 100GB of videos/photos. Had no intentions of burning them to DVD until today, I took some videos of my kid's 5th Birthday. Thinking of burning the videos to normal DVDs and give them to the kids who came to the party. Of course, the DVD is to be played on the normal home DVD players (NTSC).

I just want a simple cut/edit function. Don't need any chapters/menus/filters etc. After editing, burning them to the normal DVDs with the best qualities as possible.

I took the videos in both 720p and 1080i. There's this software I read from the Japan Forums (I can understand some Japanese). Any comments on this software?

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks.
vacuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:05 PM   #94

So I'm assuming that this tutorial is here because thesoftware that came with the camcorder is crap?
Peskypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:37 PM   #95

vacuum wrote:
Quote:
Hello Cresho.

Thanks for your efforts. I'm new to video editing.

Need your advises.

I owe a HD1000 for more than 7 months now. Took more than 100GB of videos/photos. Had no intentions of burning them to DVD until today, I took some videos of my kid's 5th Birthday. Thinking of burning the videos to normal DVDs and give them to the kids who came to the party. Of course, the DVD is to be played on the normal home DVD players (NTSC).

I just want a simple cut/edit function. Don't need any chapters/menus/filters etc. After editing, burning them to the normal DVDs with the best qualities as possible.

I took the videos in both 720p and 1080i. There's this software I read from the Japan Forums (I can understand some Japanese). Any comments on this software?

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks.
99 bucks?

You did not read the post. winff transfers the files to a new container, avidemux is only cut cut cut and join and final output. In dvdflicks, just drop your videos (you dont even need the other stuff I mentioned if you just want a dvd) and burn a disk to test it. It is idiot proof! of course, when you play it back on your dvd, it will play it in the order you droped the files in and there is no menus and it will loop back to start of dvd and replay upon completion of film. If you want menus, then read the post.

I remember tmpeg 10 years ago. Never liked it and sucked for what I wanted to use it for. 99 buck, the guy is crazy, it was free before. with that, you can get a light version of vegas video.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:40 PM   #96

renpriv wrote:
Quote:
As I am in the UK and we use a different frame rate to the US, will the settings you show be ok for me?

I have successfully burnt someone elses file to DVD and it has played fine, but I am not sure what frame rate the file was :?
if you read the post, you can see that I posted how to convert to pal. DVDflick will do this too! just read it. if you drop your mp4 to dvdflick, and do the pal conversion from there, it will work. I posted the other stuff incase people want a more fluid look rather than a flickery framerate.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:44 PM   #97

Peskypete wrote:
Quote:
So I'm assuming that this tutorial is here because thesoftware that came with the camcorder is crap?
I assume the same thing always. Everytime I buys something, the software does not work. Nothing ever works.

But really I posted this here is because I do not use windows. I run linux and I wanted to show people other options. I cannot say the software does not work because I never tried it. In fact, if you read, people here don't even use it.....sort of. When it first shipped out, software did not work at all from what I read. Of course it is a year later and I don't even know if the software still does not work.

The software I mentioned runs on windows. all of it.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:35 PM   #98

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
I assume the same thing always. Everytime I buys something, the software does not work. Nothing ever works.
Yup, I hear you there. I tried Premier out for a few minutes, found it unintuitive, took forever to re-encode and the video was severely degraded. Thought maybe it was something to do with me (it could be) but I don't have time or energy to deal with yet more bloatware.

I used Videoredo for editing mpegs (great program, doesn't re-encode mpeg files either and fixes sync issues). Now I have MP4 outputs, I thought it would be nice to use something like VideoReDo (which can't handle elementery streams).

I don't need dvd compliancy (PS3 playsMP4 beautifully baby!), so I think what's best for me is to use the camera to do the trimming - it seems to work quite well.

Maybe I can find a free mp4 to mpeg2 converter and then use VideoReDo...

VideoRedo (TVSuite) will actually allow editing, re-syncing & dvd authoring of MPEG2 files, and it is very nice & simple to use. Of course, it's not free, it's around $50, I think. But it's only for Windoze, I beleive

Any

Peskypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:12 PM   #99

you said-"Maybe I can find a free mp4 to mpeg2 converter and then use VideoReDo..."

LOL! you didnt read anything!

ffmpeg and ffplay opens the mp4 files. load the files in winff like i mentioned and select your output. it creates dvd compliant mpeg2 as well. best of all, it is free.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:52 AM   #100

Hi

I have just tried to burn a dvd with dvdflick with the file directly from the camera.After 7 hours i got an errror log that is saying that it could not convert the audio!!!. See attached errorlog.

What have I donewrong and can I continue the process somehow without starting all over?
Attached Files
File Type: txt errolog.txt (5.6 KB, 318 views)
Newcoma is offline   Reply With Quote