Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 16, 2008, 5:26 AM   #41

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
OHH YA! you have the hd1010. Have you tried a video with 720p and 1080p on the same subject, then resized the 720p with lanczos3? I usually add little sharpness. I'm curious to see what you think of it. you are running the [email protected] right?
1080p is only 30fps on the HD1010, maybe next model will give us 1080p 60fps

I will try lanczos tomorrow to increase 720p at 60fps to 1080p at 60fps. 720p 30fps's only benefit over 1080p 30fps is an extra 7minutes of video on my 2gig card so it is not worth resizing to 1080p 30fps.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:40 AM   #42

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
This is a 2 pass. The first pass creates a stat file. The second pass actually creates the video file. a 2 pass takes 2 times longer than a single pass. 2 pass is high quality. Just remember that a 2 pass is for quality. after your video is made, you can delete the stat file after your avi is complete! avidemux will say its done! you will need to copy your files from your camera to your desktop-if I understood correctly, you are using your camera as a drive? what camera are you using. If you are using 640x480, why? this is the xacti hd1000 and hd1010 guide. Of course, if you have a different camera, what are you using and send me a 2 second video or attach one here. I need to see gspot's output. If you can, post a pic of gspot's output. I need to see what codecs you are using. Can you see and hear the video from avidemux?

ohh! what is your input? you mention 640x480. It could be you need to do something else and I can advice you on this. the settings are for users with 1920x720 video resolution high definition. for 640x480 video (not720p input), you will need to use 6000kb/s just because the video does not requires too much for low res. you can go as low as 3000 for smaller files but you then start to see artifacts.

If you preffer, do a test run with a single pass quantaziser with 2 quantization. Let me know what happens.

I am using a hd1000 and not using it for a drive.

I have tried with different clips. One of them is this: From gspot:

mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
- avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]
Recommended Display Size: 1280 x 720
Frames/s 29.971
codec avc1
Codec Status Undetermined
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

When I open it in avidemux I can see and hear the video.
What settings should I try to render it with?
Newcoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:41 PM   #43

ya this works! I just used one of my recordings same settings are yours. all i did was open the mp4 file, then i changed video to mpeg-4 ASP (xvid4) and configuerd the codec to use a single pass-qauntizer with quantizer 2. left audio at mp3 (LAME). saved file and I had a viewable output that works just fine.

Now If i used my recommended settings with 6000kb/s, it works as well.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:37 AM   #44

I didn't get a chance today to do the 720p 60fps to 1080 60fps will try and do it tomorrow.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:19 PM   #45

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
ya this works! I just used one of my recordings same settings are yours. all i did was open the mp4 file, then i changed video to mpeg-4 ASP (xvid4) and configuerd the codec to use a single pass-qauntizer with quantizer 2. left audio at mp3 (LAME). saved file and I had a viewable output that works just fine.

Now If i used my recommended settings with 6000kb/s, it works as well.
I made it work now. But it is strange that it leaves a file without an unknownfile extension. But if iI choose Open with-->vlc player it opens and play just fine.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:16 PM   #46

what does the file look like? in windows, do you have "hide extensions for known filetypes" check on?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:27 PM   #47

I have the show extended filetypes set to on and all other files in the folder have extensions but this has none. In the type column is just says "file"
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:22 PM   #48

lets see.....

it says: Nothing about renaming. I guess i forgot to mention this for new users. If you create a file such as avi format, then when you save your file, make sure it says myhomevideo.avi.

Those files you created that I assume are avi, you just add as .avi to the end. If they are mpegs that you created, then just add .mpg.

In normal commercial windows applications, everything is automated for you. if you don't add an extension, that software will add one for you. This one, you need to name it video.avi when you save a file

I also updated the tutorial
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:56 PM   #49

Well here is what I found out converting 720p 60fps to 1080p 60fps using Avidemux.

1. The conversion work well although if I pixel peep at the image it does soften a bit and also looses a little bit of colour.

2. The solution is simple though. Through some experimentation I found using these settings it ends up as good as the original only larger.

The only thing to remember is I started with a base of Cresho's settings mentioned on page one of this thread, especially using lanczos3 in the resizing setting.

MSharpen at 110 strength up from default 100
MPlayer eq2 to increase saturation to 1.05 up from default 1.00

I find this program a lot like Photoshop, you can tweak to your hearts content, I personally just have to find the happy medium otherwise I get too anal about getting the absolute best. This is the reason with photoshop I ended up settling on most of my photos to just do a small S curve in "curves" small sharpen and slight saturation increase to give the photos the "pop" that I like.

I just have to find the same settings in Avidemux, which I think will be pretty close to the above with just a bit of contrast added.

Cheers

Robert
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:11 PM   #50

thanks for this info. Another thing you will need to look at is the type of monitor you are using. Most monitors right after the second half of last year are using gamut 92%. before then, it's around 70%. If you saturate your pictures too much and when you purchase a new monitor, you might end up with an overly saturated picture. I recently purchased a fujifilm camera before I grabbed an hd1000 and ended up finding it saturated my pictures automatically leaving my result looking really poor with bleeding colors. It looked fine on my old monitor but not the new one.

As with my videos, I leave them alone because 92% gamut shows me enough colors that I don't want to mess with it. This is why I have backup copies of original pictures and I keep my camera default or none adjusted. What interests me is having a baseline that I can use for a final copy.

With my dvd conversion, I just noticed that I probably have my pc's default, which overly saturated, causing my images to look very good but poor on my high definition. by default, my hp2408 is setup as defaults but I can use srgb but then it would look pale in comparison.

thanks for the info! the sharpness tip will help alot. The color correction is needed as well since the original from my 1080i does look different compared to my 720p.