Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:12 AM   #71

I have one question for you Cresho.

Playing my videos using Avidemux I get no sound. I can get garbled sound when I set win32 in the audio output preferences. It doesn't make any difference if I set No downmixing/stereo/prologic or prologic II.

It doesn't worry me that much as it still saves the videos with sound, it is just that I can't get sound inside the program.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:38 AM   #72

what soundcard are you using? do you have a 24bit high definition audio card? This sounds wierd but I have no problems. It could be a soundcard issue. aac audio can be set. in fact, you can set this up in your audio properties in windows xp. i think in control panel it is called "sound and audio devices properties. Under audio->Sound Playback->Advanced->Performance->, CHeck to see if where you have these values. you can reduce these or increase. if they don't work, then it's an avidemux issue or a codec issue or even most likely a hardware issue.

are you having issues with your hd1010 files? or are these video clips you are using from something else?

avidemux comes with its own built in decoders and codecs. If you are expiriencing audio problems, It is your hardware.

I have an old gigabyte motherboard with amd 6400 black edition, audigy gamer 24bit high definition card with a 8800gt and 2 television tuners. Much more stuff but I sometimes get a bit of rice crispy snap krackle pop effects when playing back videos in avidemux. This happens rarely but it does happen. When I am running windows xp and kubuntu doing it's own things ontop of ubuntu with virtualbox, I really start to hear the snap, crackle and pop. THis is related to poor performance of your hardware. The way the software decodes the video takes lots of juice from your hardware. Bandwith is an issue here. I can honestly tell you that my ddr800 ram 2gb worth has already peaked. I am already eyeballing the ddr memory for the new gigabyte motherboards. It's not even in the market yet. I just build my nephew a pc setup running linux with the capacity to utilize the new memory but found out its not out yet. That is a bummer I tell you!
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:19 AM   #73

Thanks Cresho for your help. I have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 sound card. I also have an issue with no sound in one of my games called FEAR as well so I would say it is a hardware/driver problem.

At the default settings in Avidevux I have not sound with any of my videos using Avidevux not only the ones from my camera. I don't think I will worry too much about it as it saves the videos OK it is just the sound missing when I preview the video.

cheers

Robert
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:25 PM   #74

In linux, I became a little scared after you posted your issue. I opened up one of my videos and guess what? NO SOUND! I was angry. Anyway, I turned off windows xp and kubuntu and also shut down virtualbox then my sound came back after restarting avidemux. There is a setting we have not looked at (and yes it could be a driver issue but funny thing is I do not use drivers). IN windows, when I install the audiocard drivers, the only thing I allow for installation is drivers, panel control, speaker control, eq, I do not install any other such as hd audio player or any of the audio creators or editors. I figured it would take something up. Just basic stuff I needed worked out for me. Your eax may be causing fear some issues with sound but then again ill stick to my guts and it tells me you have something in the background running.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:06 PM   #75

Thanks again for your help but there comes a time for me when chasing problems on my computer I just give in and live with it.

Regarding the game FEAR when I first bought it, it worked fine, 12 months later I bought FEAR second encounter and now the original FEAR and second encounter the sound would not work. I spent weeks trying to find that setting/addition/switch that was changed from last year, I even did a clean install and it still would not work.

I have a suspicion it may have something to do with my TV card as I think that was the only thing I changed on my computer but as FEAR is the only game that the sound does not work on I have put it away and now Avidemux in playback, oh well, that's life. :-)
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:28 PM   #76

Just to let some of you guys and gals know, I'll be posting an update for this.

I recently took videos of a family barbq and ended up with with 30 video files. I mixed it in avidemux and ended up with audio video sync issues by about a half a second. The start of the video was fine and in sync but at the end, the video ended up becoming not so sync after all. I am able to fix this on my own but it took various tools to do it. It's not that bad. I am just going to need to do more fiddling around just to make sure that this method works good with no issues. Trial and error!

What does work at the moment id dumping your videos into dvdflick and it works just fine. so videos directly recorded from xacti, you can dump the files into dvdflick and it will make your DVD videos no problem!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:26 PM   #77

Audio video sync issues
-----------------------------

Apearantly, there are some sync issues with avi. A work-a-round is available though. I recently took videos of a family gathering and I had to work with about 33 files. I tried copy audio and copy video into a avi container but my totem player has an issue with it. Instead, I copied audio and video to mp4. THis was a combined 33 mp4's from the xacti. It worked! I could'nt open it up in my totem player though because it locked. I had to use VLC player which also has an issue with avi files but not mp4. mp4 files work fine on dvdflick. It accepts them just fine so no need to do more work.

I think my lesson here is not to use avi. It is an old container or wait for a better video player to come around. maybee this is a linux? who know.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 1:43 PM   #78

I tried converting a file 1gb 30fps 720 into an avi with settings suggested from the tutorial. It took 12 hours before it was finished. Now no matter what player I use. The video halts after 2 minutes. I forgot to install the ffdshow before I started. Could that be the mistake?
Newcoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:21 PM   #79

yes this is a mistake. If you encode videos, it should transcode as fast as you copy a file.

Remember that these methods are new and mp4 still has issues. I have recently discovered 2 new methods in recording videos without seeing problems with audio sinc. the tools are very easy and transcoding is far better than the current method. The files play in other players as well.

im currently posting the new methods up. It is taking me a while since I am babysitting
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:13 PM   #80

Hello!

I just want to add some information about the update. Recently, in creating the avi files with over 4 hours of video footage and in one single avi file, I had audio in sync at the start but it was out of sync past the middle towards the end. I had a suspicion it was related to the mp4 file format and avidemux not being able to "build vbr time map for audio and video synchronizations. So what I had to do is find an application that copied the video and reencoded the audio portion only. I also had to create a script and make sure it had a gui for simple usage. It is done and now the videos play just fine in any media player.

Ill post the updated tutorial today or tomorrow.