Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 3, 2008, 8:11 PM   #1

Sanyo Xacti hd1000 or hd1010 video conversion tutorial (open source stuff)
Sanyo Xacti hd1000 or hd1010 video conversion tutorial (open source stuff)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MAJOR NOTE! ALWAYS BACKUP AND KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL XACTI MP4 FILES!!!!!!!
TO MAKE THE TRANSITIONS EASIER AND BETTER, please record your stuff in [email protected] or [email protected] NO 1080i or interlaced is supported in ffmpeg from what I have read! Never play an externally edited video on the xacti! Never edit your content from your pc through the xacti! Copy the files to your pc hardrive!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
what to expect:
What we are attempting to do in this portion is by converting progressive video (no interlace please) to something usable by softwares as well as the professional softwares such as vegas or premiere. Currently, Vegas Video and Adobe premiere cs3 (with quicktime installed) can open the mp4 videos from hd1000 or hd1010. This method I introduced is for those who are just starting out and do not wish to spend more cash on software that might not even work. New software is on the horizon so this method will be obselete sooner or later.

Downloads: These use "built-in" decoders encoders and will not interfere with windows. ffmpeg is wrapped inside each application...so to say in some words.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. avidemux (cut-paste editor) http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/
2. Devede (DVD burner software) http://www.majorsilence.com/devede/3....11b-setup.exe
3. WinFF (Converts your video to other types, sizes, etc.) http://winff.googlecode.com/files/winff0.422setup.exe
4. My script addon for winFF for encode passthrough. http://webpages.charter.net/cresho/x...3audio.wff.zip
5. ImgBurn Iso burning software (needed to burn iso dvd image from devede) http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe
6. VLC Media Player (incase windows media player cannot play them) http://www.videolan.org/

These next two pieces of softwares are just extra codecs which decode video libraries. This is not needed if you are using videolan VLC media player. These 2 are not needed by anything mentioned above because all the softwares above use "built-in" decoders which will not interfere with windows operating system. I looked very closely. But if you want to use your own player, then these next 2 are needed incase you have no codec packs installed on your pc for decoding various types of files.
7. ffdshow (decodes codecs on your pc) http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ffd...0705_clsid.exe
8. xvid (xvid codec and very universal) http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html

Now you can install avidemux, Devede, ffdshow (just click next till its done when it asks questions), WinFF, xvid, ImgBurn, VLC

Before we get started, we need to adjust the software.
1. Launch avidemux and go into Edit->preferences->Output-> tick (put a check) on create openDML files. This tells the software you don't want to split any avi.
2. Extract my custom WinFF to your desktop and launch WinFF and click on edit->Presets-> and click on import at the bottom. Look for where you extracted the "xacti2avipassthroughmp3audio.wff" and select it, open to finish selection and save to close window. Close winFF to give it a permanent effect.
3. Use VLC if windows cannot play the files you create. When opening these avi files, you can associate it with vlc or just right click on file and say "Play with VLC"

Now We are ready to work.

Current Workflow!
Xacti->winFF->Avidemux-> to avi or Devede/ImgBurn

Currently, the framerate reduced by these means and burned to dvd produces flickering of sorts do to "every other frame" being used. When reducing framerate from 59.94 to 29.97 in sony vegas video, it produces a more fluid motion but of course with lowered framerate, you get blurred motion but this fixes the video flicker problem when burning it to dvd.

Explenation on why this method...
winff passess through mp4 video without reencoding and converts the audio to mp3 to be used by avidemux. avidemux "can" open the raw video files of the xacti just fine but is unable to "build VBR time map" which is vital in the success of a synchronized audio and video output. WinFF Ensures that when you open a video file in avidemux, it asks you 2 questions each time you add a video: Do you want "build a VBR time map", and do you want to use safe mode...use yes on both occasions. Now it can correctly build a avi that is playable in all players that I have tried with no issues (as long as your codecs are installed). You can then use these files to burn to dvd through devede and imgburn after editing.

1. I use WinFF to transfer the mp4 container contents to avi
2. I use AVIDEMUX to join all the files by first and then editing with the tools such as cutting and joining videos and creating a final output.
3. Devede can use the xacti files directly if you wish but will not accept 1080i videos due to no support from ffmpeg.

I am going to make this tutorial very short! If you have questions, just ask. If you need a Winff Template specifically for adobe, corel, sony products, ask and ill put out a string for you to use to conver the videos that are workable on your professional softwares.

WinFF/avidemux tutorial xacti hd1000 or hd1010
----------------------------------------------------------------------
WinFF
Execute program and you can now add files as needed. after you are done with adding the files you want, you can now click on the tab next to where it says "convert to...", select AVI and select "xacti 2 avi passthrough video with mp3 audio" and output it to your desktop if you wish. Now you can click on convert to start the process. A terminal will pop up. When it is done, it will say something like "press enter to continue".

After the conversion from mp4 to avi, we will use avidemux to join the files for a quality build. If you are planning of using vegas video or adobe premiere, output the avidemux files using the settings i will post during the avidemux tutorial.

avidemux
Click on open and add your first movie (do not mix 1080p or 1080i or 720p or any diff. fps). If you want to combine more videos, click on file (upper left of interface) and append. It puts the second file on the end of the first one inserted and you can add more if you wish. It will ask you two questions" "build VBR time map" and "safe mode" so click yes to both (if these do not come up, your videos will not be in sync and will play awfull in most media players. in video section on top (not the side bar).

Here is a quick lesson on cutting in avidemux. use the bottom slide navigation to place you in the location on where you would like to cut a scene. there is a select button right under the slider navigation which places a marker on that location, you can place a start maker on one spot and an end marker on the end of a scene which you dislike and in edit up on top, click on cut. you have just removed a scene for your final cut (this does not delete your original files or anything just for your information). You can repeat the process until you are ready to create a final video output.

Creating a compatible output (this will be edited further later on to fit the needs of the average user)
1. For video, use "mpeg-4 ASP (Xvid4), then click on configure and under main tab, use encoding type: "two pass-average bitrate 14000. click on "ok"
2. Format should be "avi"
4. Save as output.avi. Make sure your video has ".avi" because the software will not add it. If you forget, you can simply add it yourself after. It's funny how it doesn't create file extensions here. When creating a 2 pass encode, the first pass makes a road map which then uses to correctly create a good quality video. A output.avi.stat file is created along side the output.avi file. Do not delete this until all process is complete.

Important! If you save a file as avi, name it myvideo.avi and if it is mpeg, name it myvideo.mpg and if you don't, then your files will come out myvideo with no extension. If you have such extensionless files, you can add a .avi or .mpg by renaming the file (right click rename) as long as you know what file extension you know you tried encoding it to.

Here is what to expect!
It is going to take a long time encoding. you are basically encoding high definition [email protected] Most softwares do not take advantage of all core processors. It could take as much as or over 24 hours depending on how much hours you put into it.

next part...creating a dvd
devede and imgburn is self explanatory and very easy to use incase your wondering so you can skip reading this part incase I ever right one.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:38 PM   #2

This is funny, I already have 2 requests or curious people. Ill post something up in a day or 2. I have get back to my life and then ill post something here.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:47 AM   #3

Looking forward to your guides.

I am about to purchase an Xacti HD1010, so am grateful for any guides. Editing & Converting HD footage to DVD's will be my biggest interest, especially with regard to frame rates etc (I am in the UK - PAL).

renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 2:51 PM   #4

Cresho,

I'd be interested in your tutoral.

Currently I have Sony Vegas 8 Pro. What problems is that software having with resizing videos? I haven't thoroughly used Vegas yet, but would be interested in knowing some of it's pitfalls in regards to resizing.

Thanks
Stephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:12 AM   #5

I have the 8 as well, when I did my conversion, it looked blury compared to the tools im using. The method that vegas video uses to resizing videos is most likely to be "nearest pixle" the method I use in resizing is "lanczos3". When I did my videos from 720p to dvd size in vegas, I noticed lots of artifacts and "pixle" problem on shoulders or curves. This is a major problem. I did a file comparison and came to the conclusion that resizing in vegas was not good enough. The same applies with adobe photoshop. Resizing big pictures like 8megapixles to like 320x240 resolutions showed tons of issues. Using gimp with lanczos3 proved way beyond my expectations.

My final video editing is done in vegas or in linux depending on what my mood is of course after a resize.

But What I am going to post is about free stuff off the internet that are legal "check and make sure cuz laws change" for purpouses of resizing, joining, and dvd authoring "the dvd authoring portion will be delayed."
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:33 PM   #6

Here is a small update. I had to look for a different tool to convert the files from mp4 to avi. mp4cam2avi has a serious problem. It cannot convert files that are bigger than what it supports.

I was using 2 files that were around 2.5gb each. they both failed or where not recognized. I did find this tool that works well with the mp4 files. Im finishing up some of the stuff and will post it up soon. Just a reminder, these tools are all free and that is what we are going to achieve here.

Second part of my tutorial is the mp4 to dvd disk using free tools is almost done as well.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 6:30 AM   #7

I finalized the workflow!

Now I'm actually writting out the steps.

just an overview.

It is possible to do these things.

mp4->avi->avi editing/joining->final file playable on any pc or....->finalized to dvd

or

mp4 to dvd directly without re-encoding or anything.

free stuff and easy to use.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:14 AM   #8

Thanks very much Cresho for doing this for us, it is much appreciated. I am about to purchase a HD1010 also and would love to know how to edit the videos.

I spent a frustrating couple of weeks trying to burn dvr-ms videos from my TV tuner to DVD for my DAD using paid software and ended up getting a refund as the program would not do it. So it would be fantastic to have the hassle worked out before I bought the camera.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:18 PM   #9

No problem! There are many way so of doing this but I thought I post something since the mp4cam2avi has issues with files over 2gb. Most tools that cost lots of money kinda work but the free stuff is the safest best.

I just dragged some of the mp4 files I had in my sd card into the dvd burner software. The output is fabulous though it does not support menues. You can put the videos in order though. If you have a progressive dvd burner, you wont be disapointed. It is the easiest and fastest way to show off your videos or demo stuff out in a blink of an eye (well almost). I am also currently looking at free dvd software at the moment that provides menu support and will be updating this information as well.

In linux, its very easy but in windows, there's to much shareware, tutorials that are outdated, and vegas 8 with dvd architect are way to expensive for some people like myself but do have access to it.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 9:08 AM   #10

Am I missing something..... I cannot see a link to your guide
renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote