Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:37 AM   #1

so im new to the camcorder world (and this forum), so hello! i just picked up a HD1000 from JR music world for 550!

My fiance and I are getting married in Whistler, BC and this was our wedding gift to each other. Our honeymoon will be a roadtrip from whistler, to jasper,to Banff and back to Vancouver to fly hom to NY. So..we will be in the car alot!

My first question: is there a car charger for the camcorder? Or should I just bring an power inverter and charge it off of that (if i need to).

2nd question: We are leaving august 12 and coming home august 25th. We have our wedding and our entire honeymoon to shoot. I purchased 2 8gb cards and 1 16gb card. I plan on shooting in 720p. Any idea how much footage this will get me? Should I get maybe another 16gb card just in case?

any tips for a noob user? any settings i should use? my best guess is we will primarily be shooting outdoor stuff, with the exception of our actual wedding.

thanks in advance for all the help!

atom631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:31 PM   #2

when you first launch your camera, on the left it tells you now much pictures you can store with your current setting and on your right tells you how many hours you have left with your current setting. my 16gb has around 2h48m with [email protected] record [email protected] it is the best and 1080i only puts in more trouble than it is worth. I was able to have a workflow that converts [email protected] to [email protected] but it is not worth the trouble when my workflow provides a much crisp and better image from 720p.

Car cig power, I ran into 2 I have. they have psp or portable playstation cig lighters. I Have one and I dont recommend it But I do use one. It also powers my zaurus 3200. The reason being is that the psp cig lighter charger could cause a problem. I did a search and came up with nothing. So I decided to experiment and risk blowing my camera. So far, no problems.

I also use a power adaptor for u.s.a or world. It is the same one that charges my zaurus 3200. Voltage and watts and amps are the same. The cig Lighter I use is also the same. It will power up the psp, the hd1000 and my zaurus. My zaurus has a small issue in some occasions with the cig lighters. This is why I don't really recommend it. The cig lighters specifications are totally unknown to me and I remember the specs I wrote down from my dabling with a electronic meter I have.

I am also in the market for a portable cig lighter that is recommended (mines works fine but I do worry)
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:14 PM   #3

awesome! i have a psp cig adapter. i also have a husky mini-inverter that i keep in my car that works really well..so ill bring both just in case.

as for recording time... i have just under 6hrs w/ no pictures taken. i am bringing my canon powershot s410, so i dont think i need it for pics.

im thinking i might just pick up another 16gb for 50 bux just in case. it cant hurt.

Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4

Dude, you should definitely have enough with a total of 32gb's of storage. That should give you 5.6 hours of footage! I have one 16gb card and an 80gb external hard drive and when the 16gb card fills up I dump the videos to the hard drive, erase the card, and start filming all over again. It's a wonderful feature that allows you to save massive amounts of video while only needing one SDHC card. Anyhow, my last vacation I filmed like crazy and wound up with 24.6gb of data. It's like 4 hours of video or something like that. I tell ya... it's a LOT to watch! And with the hard drive I could've kept going. But I think you'll be A-OK with the 32gb of storage you have.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:13 PM   #5

i picked up another 16gb card and an extra battery. i think im all set!!! so far im loving the camera. i am such a noob and its a little overwhelming trying to figure out all the settings and moving from auto to trying the advanced controls... but im learning.