Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 10, 2008, 4:55 PM   #1

Hi All -

On my holiday video's i have a strange "UFO" effect. When shooting clear blue skies etc agrey vaguespot is visible. It is clearly some dirt on the lens. Alltough the lens looks clean. How can I easily remove the lens so I can have a look at the inside? It is not an electronic failure, you really see it is some minor dirt. Thanks for your guys help / advise

djinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:21 PM   #2

Someone else on here had this very same thing. It was kind of diamond shaped. It's not something you can fix by cleaning in any way unfortunately,it's a defect in the sensor. You will need to return it and get a new one. If you are past the return time you will have to send it in for repair. If you have to send it in I would print a photo or screen grab and circle the darkened area.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:51 AM   #3

are you sure it's a defect ? Isn't this a lens flare ? Xacti C1 had beautifull flare and I use them for playing and making a vidéo. C1 had a circular oeil... My Actual CG65 offers diamond flare also... very pretty :-)

I plan to buy a HD1010 ; dos somebody can tell me if there is lens flare ? Maybe some screen captures ?

m.alexis.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:50 PM   #4

Flare is something totallydifferent. I found the thread with the user having the dark diamonds on blue skies - you'll need to checkout hisRapidshare clip to really see itbetter thanin his picture that he posted. In the Vimeo clip you can clearly see it:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27

If this is what he has then it is a sensor defect. The poster on that thread notes he doesn't have it anymore afterexchanging his unit.

Rev.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:42 PM   #5

Thanks for your comments. I have indeed exactly the same. Don't feel like going through all the RMA hassles, especially not in holiday season.

On the screesnhot it doesn't really bother me, but on a video (sunny landscapes etc) it's really like an UFO is flying around

Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:31 PM   #6

Well, if you don't return it you may go past your return period and be stuck with a camera that has a grey ufo diamond in all your shots :? And at that point to get it repaired will probably take a lot more time to send it in to Sanyo.

Rev.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:32 AM   #7

It's on different locations in the screenshots. Does it move when you zoom in or out? Could be dirt on one of the inner lens elements, which I think rotate when zooming...

You can always sell it to some UFO conspiracy dude, claiming that you can see the invisible aliens with it :-).

But seriously, return it. If it is just dirt, it can be cleaned very quickly.
Rawit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 2:37 PM   #8

Good idea

Iwhen I first norticed it myself was on footage of blue sky. I really thought, "hey what is that "

The location remains the same but looks different on the screenshots due to the zoom.

On the screenshots it is barely seen, but on the HD movie, it is quite disturbing

Bought it at pixmania.be, will see when they reply for RMA procedure
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:28 PM   #9

djinx wrote:
Quote:
The location remains the same but looks different on the screenshots due to the zoom.
Exactly. Like I said, it's a damaged area of the sensor. In the other thread I mentioned how it's just like the grey spots that appear in LCD monitors when packed poorly and shipped. I'm an IT Technician for a living and I see this kind of grey spotting all the time.

Rev.