Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:22 AM   #1

Hi I am about to get an HD1010 as a Birthday present and I have been searching for an answer, which I haven't yet found.

The flash pops up by pressing the little button on the side which is fine, but will the camera tell me when flash is needed. I currently have a Sony HD1 stills camera which has a pop up flash too, but that pops up automatically when needed. I know I could, if I am unsure just pop it up, but I think I would rather be told to do it than just guess.

Also, I read in a review somewhere, which I cannot find again, that the HD1010 now overlays a 4:3 frame over the widescreen image to make it easier to compose photos.... am I right in this or did I misread?

Many thanks in advance

renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:41 AM   #2

Hi renpriv,

To answer both of your questions,

Yes there is a warning orange hand comes up beside a flash indicator to let you know to pop the flash up.

Regarding the 4:3 frame it is the other way around. You can have the LCD screen show no frame and fill the LCD screen with what you will capture during a video. Or show a 16:9 thin white lined frame inside a 4:3 LCD with black bands on either side cutting down the screen size to 4:3.

Or if you choose to take your photos in 16:9 format the LCD screen is shown full size no black bands and the thin white smaller 16:9 frame shows the area that will show in a video.

Bottom line yes you can compose your photos easily just not the way you thought.

I just picked up mine today and I am very impressed with the video quality. Vimeo output is good but does not show the true quality of the video.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:02 AM   #3

Duplicate post
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:03 AM   #4

Thank you for your rapid answer - Good news about the flash

I think I understand what you are saying, but it seems a funny way of doing it. I thought what they had added to the 1010 over the 1000 made it easier to compose 4:3 photos, but it still isn't ideal :? Can you have one display layout when in Video mode and another when in Photo mode?

Why does it still show a thin white line when in 16:9 mode, does it not capture all of what you see on the screen, or is that when the OIS is turned on?

Thank you

Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:05 PM   #5

When I shoot 16:9 photos (only mode I shoot in now) with my HD1000 it just displays the image like the photo is going to look. In other words, it fills the screen entirely, since it's 16:9, and what I see on the screen is what comes out in the photo. There are no white lines or anything like that.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:35 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply Rev

How is the quality of the 16:9 photos?

I have seen user pictures on Flickr (only 4:3) and I am so surprised at how good they are. I am wondering if they have been touched up as they seem better quality than my dedicated still 5MP or are they really that good? I only ever print 6x4 anyway (when I do print)

When the camera is set to 4:3 stills, does the display still stay at that ratio when you change to 16:9 video mode, but with bars like relate2 mentions?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:11 PM   #7

I don't have any pictures on flicker and I don't take any with 4:3 so you have me confused with someone else I think the photos are great in 16:9. They're not going to compete with some of the regular digital cameras out there, especially being the max resolution for 16:9 photos on the Sanyo is 3.5mp, but I still think they look great. I used to have a Canon A40 (only 2mp) and the photos indeed look better and sharper on the HD1000. My old Canon took great photos but they always had a slightly soft touch to them. I shoot my photos in 16:9 now since I mainlyview them on my 50" LCD HDTV. And, you can still view them fine on the computer anyway but when you're enjoying your vacation videos and photos nothing beats sitting on the couch and watching it on a huge widescreen.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:16 PM   #8

Sorry, I should have said "other user pictures" :?

Really glad to hear your pictures look good on a 50" as that is what I have too. Generally all my Vids/Photos end up burnt to a DVD as a slideshow, so it sounds like I am going to be please with what I get out of the camera.

Roll on 26th August

Thanks again for your help and info :-)

Ren.