Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:34 AM   #1

I'm thinking of ordering the new HD1010. I visited a local store and had a look at the HD1000 and also played with a Canon HF-100 and a Sony HDR-CX12. Very confusing to try to decide among all the models out there.

One thing I noticed right away was that with both the Canon and the Sony I could zoom in an out very very slowly.. and the more I moved the zoom slider, the faster the zoom would go.. I could control it quite nicely and it could go real slow. On the HD1000 however, it was more of a on/off scenario.. there was some degree of control over the speed, but impossible to zoom slowly like with the other two. Is this normal and could I expect the same on the HD1010 or is there any chance they have made this feature more granular?

The other issue I'm reading about is the image stabilization.. both the Canon and Sony use optical systems and in the limited testing in the store they both seemed to work pretty good. The HD1000 on the other hand seemed to jump around and as I panned the camera, it jumped instead of panning as I intended. Seems most of you here turn this feature off as it also degrades the actual image? Again, has this been fixed on the HD1010 or can I expect similar performance to the HD1000?

Also reading about focus issues and how the HD1000 doesn't always focus properly, or goes out of focus momentarily. Again, sounds like a pretty bread and butter feature of any camera, I'm surprised to hear this does not work 100%? Again, can I expect this to work correctly on a HD1010?

I really like the format of the HD1000/1010 over the Canon and Sony models, and it seems the Sanyo can record in more formats and is more flexible in many ways. But ultimately a camcorder should shoot great video in most conditions as without that it defeats the purpose a bit, especially when we are talking HD over standard def. The ability to shoot good quality still pictures is important to me as well as I really don't want to have to lug two devices with me everywhere. The Sony is supposed to shoot 10.2 Megapixel stills, but then somewhere I read that the sensor is only 3.5 Megapixes...

Anyways, sorry for the long windedness but as I'm about to drop close to a grand on a camera, I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I do. Any insight and info would be great! Mike
MIDAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:14 AM   #2

MIDAC wrote:
Quote:
1. I have the HD1010 and the slow speed zoom is slow enough for me. It is not super slow but for me too slow is as much a pain to me as too fast.

2. The stabilisation is not the HD1010's best point, it does jump around a bit. I have with some practice though pretty much got a hold on smooth video by holding the camera lightly and using my other hand to hold the screen. This though is something I am prepared to live with because of the other fantastic qualities of the camera. I will also make or buy myself a stabilisation system like this one which seems to work very well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Fhj0oY_EA
http://www.vimeo.com/1394069
http://www.vimeo.com/1285705

3. The focus issue for me is no more than other cameras I have used. I will say though I saw a video on the net of a new Canon Video camera, sorry I don't remember the model and the focus was super fast, I mean almost instantaneous when moving from something close to far. It was a bit jarring to tell you the truth but I suppose you would get used to it after a while.

4. The HD1010 shoots stills up to 7fps at 4 Mega pixels and I know using my still camera shooting at high frame rates can get you some very good candid photos. It also shoots at 8 Mega pixels but this is interpolated the same as the Sony.

Just one thing though if you are a pixel peeper and are into DSLR type photos the HD1010 will not satisfy you. I have a Sony H9 which takes beautiful photos and I would say at the moment if the lighting conditions are not too challenging the photos out of my HD1010 are very good and satisfy me with the on screen quality. I will put it this way I was a bit hesitant about the photo quality of the HD1010 but am pleasantly surprised.

I will just mention here the ONE HUGE thing I like about the HD1010 it is small enough for me to carry everywhere with me. I can fit it into the back pocket of my jeans or the front pocket of my winter sloppy joe. As we all know a $10 camera in your hand takes a better photo than a $2,000 camera sitting at home in the draw.:-)

I also like the ergonomics of the HD1010 over the normal Video cameras. Just one tip when taking photos/videos of people shoot from your waist using the flip up LCD you will get much better candid photos/videos as I have found with my Sony H9. As soon as you bring a camera up to your eye people seem to freeze.

I hope that helps you Mike.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:00 AM   #3

Thanks Robert for you insight. Yes, the small form factor is indeed the reason I'm considering the HD1010 over the others. I have a large Nikon DSLR and unfortunately it sits at home most of the time because of its size. I use my tiny Canon SD point and shoot far more, even though the picture quality of the Nikon is far superior. The other cameras seem pretty small too but not as small as the Sanyo which indeed may fit in a pocket. Oh decisions decisions... :?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:01 PM   #4

I hold my tripod folded inward as a steady cam. same thing! weight holds the camera steady! Not only that, if i get tired, i just spread the legs open. One up the one they built! If I hold the steady cam tripod (man this sounds funny!) i can use the handle to tilt the camera up and down and it looks very proffesional on the video. if you want a demonstration, i just ran around my house and i used the tilt lever, moved up and down and it was incredibly smooth. Now of course your arm gets tired but the image is awsome. just make sure you hold the tripod as close to the camera ontop as possible.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:32 PM   #5

I have bought a digital camera 2years ago (Olympus) where I'm very disappointedwhenever taking night shoots. I hardly took nice picture for nightshoots. Therefore I am thinking tochange to acamcorder forstill image and also video too.

I understand I shouldn't replaced my digital camera with camcorder. But as for travelling, I would justlike to get a device for both purpose.

I have look around in this forum and ending up withSanyo HD1010 and Canon HF10/100 (and coming HF11). I am a beginner here and also to HD world. ThereforeI need some advise from those who have explored with HD1010and HF10/100/11. Which would be the best choice ifIneed a good still picture with above average quality video.

Thanks.

mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:17 AM   #6

Mike,
Have you looked at some of the Kodak Point and Shoots? They truly are pocketable. With Optical Stabilization they do very good 1280x720 video. See my Vimeo clip of the V1073 output at
http://www.vimeo.com/1028849

I also have a Z1012 IS, and that has an even better quality lens, and doesn't have any lens-focus artifacts at zooms < 6x. Klic-8000 battery last longer, too.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:18 AM   #7

Trevmar,

Thanks for your recommendation. I don't noticed I have additional option on digital camera with HD video. I think Casio EX-F1 is comparable with Kodak in this case.

Do you know anyHD digital camera that able to flip the LCD screen to view from front? I think one problem with digital camera is... the LCD screen can't be flipped to the front... if you are taking picture foryourself :lol:
mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 6:28 AM   #8

Lack of the flip screen is a big problem with all the Kodaks. It will be nice when they add one.

The Kodak cameras use MP4 compression, which is a big advantage over the other still-camera manufacturers, which still use MJPEG, and other similar schemes.

The video compression is 14 Mbps Divx5 at HQ and 9Mbps for standard quality, which gives very good images indeed at 1280x720.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:19 AM   #9

Well guys, I ended up buying the HD-1010 and so far I am quite impressed! Size is great, fits in my cargo pant pocket no problem. The photos it takes are very impressive.. totally on par with my Canon SD camera as far a colour and detail.. not the same resolution for zooming in on things, but still very impressive. Video is also quite stunning, and I have not noticed any problems with focus, etc. The IS system does kinda suck and I have found myself turning that off.. almost works better with it off honestly. I don't find camera shake is bad at all unless you start zooming in on things.. and when you do, if you can lean against a wall or put the camera against something then even at moderate zoom it is great. I ended up buying a wide angle lens, and Ambico V-0341 semi fish-eye, because for indoor use the camera has a very narrow field of use. The Ambico fixes thatnicely, and with the appropriate adapter ring, only cost me around $49 at a local shop (found the lens in the clearance bin). The lens is actually a 52mm so rather big (and heavy), but you get none of the fish-eye look, only slighly bowed lines, and no black corners because of its large size. And the field of view is great with the lens, I can hold the camera at arm's lenght and shoot myself and someone standing beside me very comfortably. I also hooked up a 750GB hard drive to the docking station and now I can sit on my couch, copy clips from the camera to the HD, cut, join, and splice things.. organize them into folders, etc. All with the camera and the supplied remote. Sanyo has put some really nice features into this baby.

So for anyone still debating on whether to buy this HD-1010, I would say go for it! Not a perfect camcorder, but video is great and photos are stunning, and it shoots nicely in low light too. I'm heading out on vacation soon and with two 8GB cards and two 4GB cards I hope to bring back hours of memories using my new Sanyo.

Mike
Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:24 AM   #10

Hi, I have a the Casio F1, as a video-hybrid it is a non starter, the video is avc excellent quality but it needs to be on a stabilising device all the time, if you hand hold the wobble of cmos and lack of optical image satbilisation are major weakness, also the wide-angle starts at 45mm in video. I would not reccomend it for video. Stills are excellent though, no doubt about it as a stills camera it is very fine indeed and approaches dslr in terms of speed of response!

I need a hybrid though, and for me the Sanyo range have not moved forward since the hd2, cmos is fine for not having ccd smear(purple streaks in bright light) but really its probably the worst thing they could have put in video cams, the rolling shutter gives a wobble effect and no amount of post video correction can sort it, its very distracting and I hate it. The saving grace for Canon and Sony is they have put in very fine optical stabilisation but even this on the Canon is causing users to use additional stabilisation devices, overall I believe Panasonic is best and Sony 2nd with Canon 3rd. Factor in avchd editing and you will need a good powerful laptop to edit the avchd footage and really its one heck of an investment, time mostly!!Advantage of the Sanyo/Casio etc is they shoot good quality 720p, what most people need, but lack of decent optically stabilised 720p video cams at the lower end(they dont exist) means there isno choice but to compromise witha Sanyo etc.

Personally the hd1010/0 can no longer be called ahybrid in my opinionsuch is the poor still capability, they are videocams and therein lies the problem, great hybrids at the moment are very very thin on the ground and probably the Kodak range are the only ones that offer a hybrid capability ie great stills and reasonable/user friendlyvideo, that is stable, editable, good low light and acceptable for all but the most discerning home video buffs! It aint perfect but, life is all about compromise.

ps the z1012 has a real 33-400mm optical stabilisedzoom, ccd for extra stability(true progressive) not psuedo"rolling-shutter" progressive!!

In fact I'd choose a Sanyo hd2 over a hd 1000 everytime!! is the video quality as good, nowhere near, but is it more stable, easily editable/watchable, you bet.

Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote