Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:19 AM   #1

Hi Everyone,

As a brand new owner of this fantastic camera I thought I would start a thread to pick the brains of all the Sanyo Exati HD1000 and HD1010 owners.

My first tip to start the ball going is if I am filming outside in bright sunshine, I have been manually setting the ISO to 50 the same as I do with my digital camera. It appears to give me richer colour rendition. I haven't tested this on a wide range of subjects yet but it appears to have merit.

So any other tips have you found? I plan to use it mainly for flying my hang glider so if anyone has any particular tips for filming whilst flying I would be interested in hearing them.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:48 AM   #2

Here is one tip, not video tip but a physical tip re the camera.

I read a report when I was researching whether or not to buy the camera from a person who said the camera's plastic was too slippery and made it prone to be dropped. Well it is smoother than I would like and I have not had a problem of dropping it yet but I like to be prepared.

I had some clear contact, the stuff kids cover their schoolbooks with to protect them, lying around the house so I covered the right hand side of the hand grip, upper right side of the lens where your right index finger goes and the back of the LCD minus the mic holes. I am not going to cover the black area of the handgrip under the LCD as it gets warm when filming and covering this area may cause overheating problems.

So now do I not only have a better grip to the camera I have most of it also protected from the inevitable bumps and scratches.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:10 PM   #3

I hold my tripod folded inward as a steady cam. Weight holds the camera steady because it stabaizes my stabalizer muscles! Not only that, if i get tired, i just spread the legs open. If I hold the steady cam tripod (man this sounds funny!) I can use the handle to tilt the camera up and down and it looks very proffesional on the video. if you want a demonstration, i just ran around my house and i used the tilt lever, moved up and down and it was incredibly smooth. Now of course your arm gets tired but the image is awsome. just make sure you hold the tripod as close to the camera ontop as possible and make sure not to run with it because you might kick the tripod legs and cause yourself an accident.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 3:23 AM   #4

I took my first hang gliding videos on Sunday and what I learnt was

1. Either lock focus using the joystick or set focus manually to infinity.

The camera every now and then looses focus on the hang glider against a plain blue sky when set to auto focus.

Also if zooming in a fraction doesn't stop the lens flare, a lens hood may be needed. I know my digital camera comes with a lens hood as standard to prevent this.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:25 AM   #5

I thought I was unable to open my videos in Windows Media Player 11 as every time I tried to open a file it would not even show up in available files until I set "anyfile" even then I would get a message

"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while downloading the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

Well guess what I hit close instead of Web Help and then hit the play button and the video even 1080i files played fine.

It seems as though a lot of software has to be fixed to play these new mp4 files.

EDIT====> Seems as though ffdshow codecs are kicking in. Ahh so much to learn so little time. :-)

Cheers

Robert
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:39 AM   #6

Vimeo is the best place to show your Xacti Clips and experiments. Here some examples and tips.

1. Use fish eye for utmost steady hand shots: http://www.vimeo.com/1463115

2. Demo how I managed to do it: http://www.vimeo.com/1469722

3. The Jancam in action. With Xacti onBoompole cycling shots are possible. http://www.vimeo.com/1153750

4. Just to showhow I managed to get the little Sanyo Xacti HD1000 with the Letus Mini + Nikkor 50mm 1.4 on the Steadicam JR. :
http://www.vimeo.com/1197997

5. ANother sample of our first Vimeo Meetup Amsterdam all done with Sanyo + Fish eye. http://vimeo.com/1500969
DVC4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:42 PM   #7

i like your stuff dvc4ever. I usually show my friends your links and find them very enjoyable. what century fish eye are you using?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 3:07 AM   #8

I took a video the other day at Stanwell at midday in very bright conditions. As many photographers know it is very hard to get a good photo in those conditions as the bright midday light washes out the colour.

Well I tried with Avidemux to play with the contrast, brightness etc but could not get it right. I also tried a program I bought which has an actual curves dialogue box but again could not get the pop in the video that I wanted. The program was Serif MPX3 whixh has a lot of promise for the $50 I paid for it but it is just too buggy at the moment and I am getting a refund.

I then found this program AVS4you and it has a single button called autolevels, similar to Photoshop and bang just what I wanted with a single button.

I would love to post just a couple of screen shots to show the difference but somehow avs4you disables taking screen dumps even playing in an outside program.

So if you find you videos looking a bit washed out on those bright sunny days try avs4you http://www.avs4you.com/

Cheers

Robert
Old Sep 27, 2008, 4:28 AM   #9

thanks for the tip! does it open the mp4 directly? I know avidemux has tons of free plugins. Maybee ill add this information as well.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 4:56 AM   #10

Yes it opens the MP4 directly BUT there is always a but lately, it does not open 1080 videos yet. They have a beta available for download though that does open 1080 videos. They say it will also open 1080i but I have not been able to open 1080i successfully so far.

I only found the program yesterday and have just scratched the surface. Playing today I found a filter called "temperature" I don't know what it actually does but I love the look on my hang gliding videos. Its like looking through those high contrast sunglasses on a sunny day.