Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:08 AM   #1

OK, its 325g so a bit heavier and bulkier than the those but wow for £160 uk pounds is this something to consider for those obsessed like me with hybrids and have never felt they've moved on since the c4?

As a longtime Sanyo c4/hd1/hd2 user I've been hunting around for something better than either, over a year ago I bought a Canon tx1, portable yes but mjpeg video, forget it as for the purple streakng horrendous.

Initially toyed with the hd1000 but the still quality is not upto the hd2(or hd1 or tx1) and in the end wanting to get away from the dreaded ccd chose a completely different hybrid the Casio f1, great stills and high speed but as a hybrid forget it the video after a while has annoyed me to such an extent I hate it, it's not stabilised in any way digital only and it has no wide angle at all when in digital stab mode, about 44mm.

Anyway, after frustration and also the evident rolling shutter of cmos now becoming evident in the video too(wobble-bobble!!) I was on the verge of getting a dedicated video cam with ccd and putting up with the ccd smear and 1080i etc then the z1012 came to my attention, I dont have it yet but it appears to be a great choice and the mp4 is of the hd1/2 variety but at 15mbits/sec. The controls are limited, its auto but from the videos I've found it seems to control ccd smear well, has good resolution, very little focus hunt, super fast zoom and very very stable image stab. Its also 10mpix, shoots some of the best stills from a compact zoom in a long while has 33mm wide, seeminlgy good low light capability, all in all ofr £160/$250 it appears to be the new superzoom hybrid champ, x12 is stabilised lense and you can add a ele adapter( not sure its zoom through, just at its longest setting)

Anybody got one, am going to get one next week, any issue with it?

Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:40 AM   #2

Other examples are around but on there is limited examples, look at how stable this is, how is it sanyo cant put something like this out after all this time??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z650Mwiq5hA

Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:06 AM   #3

Just checked Vimeo and there are only two videos both from the same person. The quality of the posted video was pretty poorandthat camera focus hunts far worse than the HD1000 in those videos! The poster also said there was no manual focus available when in video mode, don't know if that's true or not though.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:43 AM   #4

Looking at the choices:

Format

QUICKTIME MPEG 4 with stereo sound

Quality

HD (1280 × 720) at 30 fps
VGA (640 × 480) at 30 fps
QVGA (320 × 240) at 30 fps

Length

HD: continuous up to 29 min. based on memory capacity
VGA, QVGA: continuous up to 80 min. based on memory capacity

No 60fps and only max 29mins

Wonder if it can optically zoom while taking video, a lot of cameras can't, but some do I know :?

I am happy with my choice of a HD1010 which I am eargerly waiting delivery of :?
renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:10 PM   #5

Hi, If you look at the 2 straight from vimeo they are poor- first attempts, click on his name, loren rogers and you'll see a couple more, one at Berkley with a few mates, you can download it i you are a vimeo memeber, it's about 367Mb and last 10 mins, therefore the videos are compressed further from their original size, 2mb/sec aprox, therefore for 10mins should have been over a gig, he could export to avc for better compression.

It was just an alternative for those fed up with with the wobbles of Sanyo cams, I am!! Plus I thought even on the Berkley exported video wathced in Core avc player it was more consistant in focus than anything I've seen from a Sanyo and as for stability, well its a no brainer.

Therefore for the casual video shooter who doesnt necesarily need h264 1080p quality and is happy with h2 format improved video(which is basically what it is) maybe the kodak is an alternative, as for stills from the Sanyo's, well the Kodak comes from a different planet.

The cmos sensors being used in all new low-end camcorders certainly give me cause for concern and as we all know sanyo's digital image stab aint that good and most users switch it off because with it on you just get a whole new set of problems.

All things considered I think the Kodak Z1012 is the current bargain of the century!!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:18 PM   #6

http://www.vimeo.com/1439151?pg=embe...39151&hd=1

download the video, stability and focus are excellent !!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:02 PM   #7

Adventsam wrote:
Quote:
http://www.vimeo.com/1439151?pg=embe...39151&hd=1

download the video, stability and focus are excellent !!
Just watched it. Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The video was terrible. Not only was it extremely blocky/grainy, but the automatic white balance kept shifting from red to green during the indoor card game scene and the stability was bad as well. The video is very shaky. Also, in another indoor scene there's horrible purple striping. Have you ever owned an HD1000 or HD1010? I'm sure the stills from that Kodak blow away the Sanyo's but dude, there's no way that video is better or even close to the quality of the HD10** models.

Rev.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 3:18 PM   #8

I said I thought it may be an alternative for those with hd1/2's who dont need a H264 based cmos camcorder.

Irrespective of what you think, it seems better to me than a HD2 and for many they dont need 1080i/p hassle, 720p 16:9 format is suffice. Irrespective sanyo stabilisation is useless!! I have sanyo cams as well and to say these videos in the hands of complete amateurs are not good is dissmissive.

Purple streaking smearing is an unfortunate feature of ccd's but all things considered its better than cmos wobble in my opinion.

Watched at normal distances on a reasonable hdtv I doubt you will notice any difference! apart from the shaky sanyo's
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:16 PM   #9

I hear ya man, for the price it's definitely not bad at all. I'm just saying the video quality from everything I saw was not good. I guess it would be a great alternative for the price, definitely. I'm just saying it does have a lot of issues itself.

Rev.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:14 AM   #10

You are correct, how difficult is it to make;

An hd2 with optical stabilised lense, maybe slightly better bit rate and improved speed/start-up etc.

Kodak have done the hard bit but forgot to add any video options to ice the cake!!

I wonder though if you set the kodak to a manual wb if it will hold it in video mode, overall though I think I can live with the wb altering more so than the video wobble, plus the improved wide-angle and sheer ease of use of mp4.