Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:00 PM   #1

My CG6 has "died" after about a year and a half. Just a well I suppose since it had developed some bothersome hot pixels that Sanyo can't fix. I've owned a lot of digital cameras, and this is the first total failure. The symptom is that the CCD does not work; no live display, just black in all modes like the lens cap was on. Menus work fine and information overlay works fine, as does playback (so the LCD is OK). I tired reset, using another battery, charging it, and using another card and the internal memory. I'll try leaving the battery out for a couple days. Worked fine last time I used it, it died just sitting on my desk.

This was my second Sanyo, think I'll spend less and get something else next time.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2008, 5:13 PM   #2

The exact thing happened to my xacti HD1 today!

The same black as if the lens cap is on - tried various batteries and memory cards but to no avail.

I suspect the CCD has died (it was producing over exposed photos only for the last month or so and therefore was showing signs that it was on its way out!)

Has yours shown any signs of producing not 100% expected results?

PS can i claim this on insurance and say I dropped it and it stopped working after the drop?
djleekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:09 AM   #3

Hi, no, there was no warning. I had used it to film some scenes maybe 4 days before it died, and it was working fine. I set it on a desk and left it. Turned it on later and it was dead. The battery has been out for a week, so let me try it again... no still dead. I'm shopping for a replacement.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:52 PM   #4

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
My CG6 has "died" after about a year and a half. Just a well I suppose since it had developed some bothersome hot pixels that Sanyo can't fix. I've owned a lot of digital cameras, and this is the first total failure. The symptom is that the CCD does not work; no live display, just black in all modes like the lens cap was on. Menus work fine and information overlay works fine, as does playback (so the LCD is OK). I tired reset, using another battery, charging it, and using another card and the internal memory. I'll try leaving the battery out for a couple days. Worked fine last time I used it, it died just sitting on my desk.

This was my second Sanyo, think I'll spend less and get something else next time.
I have owned my CG6 for about 2 years and I hope it won't happen to me. Price of CG9 is very affordable, it will be a nice replacement.
cathy9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:37 AM   #5

The last time I used my HD1 was to capture Madonna leaving her hotel in Cardiff for the launch of her Sticky and Sweet world tour! Imagine if it had died on that day. Luckily it died exactly a week later!

Also one week prior to it dying I had already ordered a HD1010 so I wonder if it knew I was gonna get rid of it!

I have now assumedthat my CCD has died on the camera!

SO A FEW QUESTIONS

Can it be repaired?
Does anyone want to buy it for spare parts?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Lee
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:27 PM   #6

If you can see the information display on your screen but NOT the image, then in all liklihood the CCD is OK. Sanyo placed some lubricant on the iris of HD1 cameras. Over time, this lube dries out and if the the iris sticks closed the image blacks out - that's why you can't see an image. Sometimes you can see the closed iris by looking in thru the front lens. Search the internet. You'll find instructions on how to disassemble your HD1, remove the lens assemblyand clean off the lube. You have to be somewhat mechanically inclined and comfortable with working with small parts but it's not difficult. The camera disassembles relatively easy.
ericok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:14 PM   #7

Thanks for that information - ill have a search to see what info I can find out about it.

I work i tv industry with proper cameras and such and so have loads of equipment at my disposal if I wanted to open this baby up!

Obviuosly I now have my HD1010 and so will probably dispose of the HD1 model.

Thanks for replying.

Lee