Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:38 AM   #1

Just a quick post to say I have finally got my HD1010 and I am so pleased with it.

So far I haven't noticed any focus hunting issues that people have mentioned with the HD1000; in fact the focusing seems to be very quick at adjusting.

Another thing I am really pleased with is the image stabilizer. I know a lot of people moan about it and that it ruins image quality, but I really can't see any difference in quality between having it on or off. I have tried doing some panning shots and it seems to cope very well. The only time it gave a weird effect was when I was at full zoom and shooting a PowerStation chimney and it made it look like the chimney was wobbling, but it was very windy and I was cold. I tried clips with it on and off and I have to say I prefer the more stable picture with it on, rather than the shaky picture with it off.

So far I have been shooting in 720p 60fps and the results on my 50" Plasma and 37" LCD are absolutely stunning. I am also amazed at just how good the still images are too. As I hardly ever print my photos, instead burn them to DVD and watch on the TV as a slideshows I am more than satisfied with their quality. They look much better than the 5MP stills that my Sony DSC-H1 produces.

I have only done a little editing in Vista Movie Maker just to try it, but not burnt anything to DVD yet. This afternoon I am going to install Nero Elements 8 for Vista which comes with the camera and see how that looks.

I used to think the quality of the videos on Vimeo was good, but they really don't do the actual footage justice.

Anyway, off to mess with my new camera

renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:38 AM   #2

Congrats man, glad to hear you're loving your new cam! I have the HD1000 and still love it, so small and such great video. I do the same thing with my pictures - view them on my 50" Samsung LCD. As a result I now shoot all my photos in 16:9.

Again, congrats!

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:53 PM   #3

wobbly cmos, leave stab on!
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:04 PM   #4

Good to hear about your new HD1010. I also bought one about two weeks ago. I have been playing my videos through my 20" widescreen Dell monitor and they look good but today i took my camera and the dock to JB HiFi and was able to connect it directly to a 40" HD LCDTV and man I tell you I thought they looked good on my computer monitor but on the TV they looked stunning. :-)

relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 7:53 AM   #5

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
Good to hear about your new HD1010. I also bought one about two weeks ago. I have been playing my videos through my 20" widescreen Dell monitor and they look good but today i took my camera and the dock to JB HiFi and was able to connect it directly to a 40" HD LCDTV and man I tell you I thought they looked good on my computer monitor but on the TV they looked stunning. :-)

You are so right, the videos and photos do look stunning on a big panel :-D
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:37 AM   #6

how are you presenting the images? are you using a pc or direct from the hd1000?
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:31 AM   #7

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
how are you presenting the images? are you using a pc or direct from the hd1000?
I am looking at them both on my Laptop display (HP 17" TrueLife Display - I think that's what it's called)via the SD card slot and direct from the docked HD1010 to the Plasma & LCD

I know because of their small resolutionthey won't be able to be blown up into big prints, but on the rare ocassion I do print a photo its normally only a 6x4, so its not that much of an issue.

I am sure a real photophile will find fault with them, but I am happy with the result and that is the main thing

Really looking forward to doing my next holiday DVD with proper video and widescreen photos, instead of 640x480 stills camera clips and 4:3 stills :-D
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:38 AM   #8

I just ordered this camera myself. I have been looking for a camera that did really good video, but everyone kept saying get a camcorder.

So i bought one of these from Amazon's refurb store. 508 bucks and i get a full unconditional 30day money back guarantee with no restocking fee. Not bad.

So does anybody have any tips or tricks for this camera?

I will be doing the majority of my video shooting in the bar I DJ at. So it will be in very low light situations.

I didn't see any type of lamp or light that comes with this camera. Is that the case? The light on my old Sony camcorder was useful in the dark scenes.

Are there any iso settings i can use for the video when shooting in the dark bar that would help with the video?
DjPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:37 AM   #9

First off I wouldn't expect miracles with this camera in very low light. That being said it does have a cold shoe on the top of the camera where you can fit a self powered movie light.

The two settings that I can see that affect low light is "High Sensitive mode" and "Lamp mode" Lamp mode apparently slows the fps down to 15 during videos to increase the amount of light. I would suggest you do some experimentation to see what suits you the best.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:03 AM   #10

Oh man, $508 for refurb? Warehouse123.com has it new for $578 including 4GB SDHC card & new battery & other goodies. And that place is not always the lowest priced either!
(I'm still on the fence... the ole C6 is still holding out... it has a few "dying" pixels, they seem to cut out after the camera has gotten hot..)

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote