Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:09 AM   #11

Ohh! and one more thing, I don't like it when people say that I don't know what I am talking about.

Here is my dot pitch challenge. Your mission is to take a picture with your xacti and post it here as an attachment using your samsung monitor. Also state resolution of monitor used which is prefferably the native resolution. you can see the difference in quality that I was referring to. Take a picture of your mouse cursor at default cursor settings. Do not use the extra large cursor at all or ill post my extra large cursor here! Use the small default one. If you then would like a take two, we shall post a modified image using jpeg and reduce the compression settings until we see artifacts which is The main reason why graphic artists or photophiles or videophiles do not use HDTV for editing images. BUT! it is a perfect way to present your videos and pictures to the family. 96dpi

hmm..to give you credit to where it's due, Your samsung does have an impressive dot pitch....for an HDTV. Also, The resolution is perfect. my old emprex has a dot pitch of Dot Pitch:. 0.1730mm (H); 0.5190mm (V). THis is very very ugly. Also, it had a terrible unsupported resolution of 1366x768 which caused the banding issues. BUt the mitsubishi I am telling you about is fine! very lovely.

When ever I buy an lcd or an HDTV, I use free convinient means as much as possible to determine the quality of the set. Here is an example. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and also you can download a copy http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/lagom-lcd-test.zip . This helps me determine how good my screen or the one I'm testing and if it is worth it to a customor's time and money.

pic is based on native resolution of [email protected] with 96 dpi

Attached Images

Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 4:35 PM   #12

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
Ohh! and one more thing, I don't like it when people say that I don't know what I am talking about.
Dude, you seriously to need relax and have a beer or something!:? I never said you didn't know what you're talking about. I commented on *one* thing you said and called it nonsense and I still stand by that.

Look, I'm merely saying I've been sitting in front of LCD monitors since their inception and when using my 50" Samsung LCD HDTV connected to a PC it works and looks just like a typical PC monitor. I don't have ghosting issues or any other types of discerable artifacts. I've also hooked up Dell HDTV's to PC'sfor partners in my firmand the performance was identical to the standard LCD's they replaced. I'm not going to argue specs with you cause it's pointless. A PC hooked up to a good LCD HDTV will be function nearly indistinguishably from a typical LCD PC monitor unless you start talking about the high end PC monitors with uber fast response times and stuff like that.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:38 PM   #13

hehe! It's alright. It was not a really a challenge or anything. IT got me really curious. Your tv is really nice and your pixel res is awesome standardized at 1920x1080 with a .155 dot pitch. That is really sweet. No banding or anything since it is pixler per pixle. I was just curious to see how good your dot pitch was cuz specs mean nothing.

plus the "relate2" asking the question got tons of info from both of us. You are also right about your image looking nicer. Both the mitsubishis are older than your samsung and I was not aware of the new pixel pitch available to consumers. HDTV is very much catching up and I was not aware of it.

YOU SEE, I learned something new and it may be almost that time to buy a new HDTV. and how am I going to question you since I got some good advice from you as well in other threads.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:37 PM   #14

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
YOU SEE, I learned something new and it may be almost that time to buy a new HDTV. and how am I going to question you since I got some good advice from you as well in other threads.
Heh, it's all cool man I'm glad you see I wasn't trying to personally insult you in any way. I was just taken aback a bit with the comment about HDTV's. They sure have come a long way!I went with Samsung cause I use their LCD computer monitors exclusively since it's my personal opinion they are the current leaders in the LCD industry. As a result I was amazingly surprised how wonderful the PC image is on the HDTV and I'm hooked up through thenormal VGA port. There are those out there that argue the 15pin VGA connection is inferior and you get much better quality through a DVI or HDMI connection but this is another claim I really can't agree with. I've hooked up PC's both ways and about 85% of the time the quality appears exactly the same. I've seen only a few instances where a DVI connection yields a better image and that could be attributed to a number of other factors (electromagnetic interference, poor cable, etc).

Anyhow, cool to see we actually agree with each other!

Rev.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:19 AM   #15

I run all the other pc's through vga as well. One thing that bugs me is the sony compliance hdmi-hdcp through dvi which is not allowed through the VGA 15 pin. at the moment, my graphics card has both vga and dvi as well as my hpw2408 supporting both. My problem with the pc monitor is that in dvi mode, I am not allowed to use 1 to 1 pixle. If I use a resolution such as 800x600, the image is stretched which is a REAL BOTHER! So I use vga since it allowes for 1 to 1 pixle or fill screen without stretching the image. when using vga, I am not allowed to pass through blue ray signal inless I hit the switch on my hp monitor to use dvi. Then I get the HDMI-HDCP compliance to view blueray movies.

It really sucks nothing is standardized and we have to jump through hoops! I got rid of the software, the blueray player, and the cables and stuck with vga since it is a no hassle no drakonian technology!
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:51 AM   #16

Yeah, I hear ya, it really is a pain in the rear. What I do though is view my Blu-Ray movies through my PS3 hooked up to the HDTV via HDMI and I view my HD DVD movies through my XBox 360 w/ HD DVD player connected via HDMI as well. I've read of a lot of headaches playing hi-def discs on the PC, though I've admittedly never tried it myself. I'm sure when the Blu-ray burners drop in price I'll get my feet wet with it.

Rev.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 1:16 PM   #17

Rev,
I have a 50 in Sanyo Plasma HDTV and have been trying to connect my Dell Inspirion 6000 laptop to it via an Intel 915GM graphics card. The graphics card has a 7 pin S video out in addition to a VGA. I bought adapters to connect the 7 pin S video on the PC to the S video on the TV..TV says no signal. I checked the VGA outlet with a known good PC monitor and it worked fine so I got a VGA to RCA/S video adapter and tried connecting the TV to the VGA outlet, still got the "no signal" on my TV screen.

I have played with the graphics card settings, TV primary notebook secondary and vice versa, extended desktop etc etc still no luck. The TV does not have a PC in connection so I have to use either RCA video cable or S video.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated
ncman424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:33 AM   #18

hi,

to share my experience.

the VGA, DVI and HDMI are connectors that make the display different .

my HDTV is Samsung 40" support 1920x1280 .
connected to my computer G45 Intel,
all photos including raw formats photo samples from professional DSLR cam downloaded from professional site..... displayed brilliantly (all photo lovers visited have same impression )

for general watching , as brilliant as my son's 22" Acer LCD mon (supports 1366x resolution)

see big difference for 720p or 1080i for 40" Samsung and very little difference for 22"Acer Lcd Mon

tried VGA ,DVI HDMI cables,
result as follows : VGA , quite bad
DVI or HDMI , brilliant in graphics,photos and text ,see no difference ( except using HDMI have sound output )

when play my 720p videos in quicktime , and window media , my professional photo lover could distinguish Quicktime better than window media , but view in 3 m distance , i could not tell

------------------
i have adjusted the brightness , contrast , sharpness , color of the 40" Samsung , it makes a difference , ultimately i tune the best setting and view very brilliant photos , browing the web and video.

my conclusion to 22" LCD and 40" LCD as follows
22" LCD , since view about 1 m distance , color , sharpness seems better than 40"
40" LCD , since view about 3 m distance , some web text in size 12 not watchable. but as a whole , watching 40" is preferable !

watched 65" Sanyo Aquas , in 3 m distance , as some of you may have watched some polo sample footage , is very very stunning...................but for fast motion , eyes tired easily.

when watch footage output via the dock ,hd1000 is wonderful and worth purchasing.

parissiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:54 AM   #19

Default Monitor or TV Advice!

Hi, can anyone recommend what I change to please, I want to upgrade to a single large Monitor or lcd tv.

As I do a lot of graphics work its important that visuals are as good as possible, Im currently using two sony 19" monitors side by side but want to upgrade to one area about the same kind of size...preferably possibly a 32" tv perhaps but I have no idea if that will be ok for the work I do..

I read that thread which was interesting but need advice if possible regarding the graphics and do the icons remain the same size, (i know zilch about this area) current 32 bit setting on monitors is 1280x1024, I dont want everything to go all large and blurry or anything like that..just to essentially keep what i got transffered onto new single screen...

So many thanks..

ian.
ITXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:50 PM   #20

I forgot about this thread, just to let everyone know I ended up getting a 24" Samsung LCD monitor because at the time the Dell 24 inch was having some problems.

I am very very happy with the Samsung and decided in the future I will buy a large LCD TV for showing my videos but not for editing them.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote