Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:16 PM   #1

Has anyone here used their computer connected to a HD LCDTV or Plasma?

Here is my dilemma at the moment I am using a small 20" wide screen Dell monitor, which by the way I just love, but it is time to upgrade to a larger screen.

My dilemma is I can either get a Samsung 32" HD LCD TV or a 24" Dell monitor but not both. I want to be able to show my videos from my HD1010 at their best which seems as though the TV wins out here. I also want to surf the web, watch TV through my computer TV card and play the occasional game of half life or Diablo III when it comes out.

I have seen a Sony 32" LCD connected to a computer in a store but the text looked really big and a bit blurry and I don't know if it was just because they had the resolution set up wrong.

Bottom line I suppose is do you think using the TV as a computer monitor will work for the web and games good enough for me to bypass a computer monitor?

Thanks

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2008, 5:50 AM   #2

oops! im gona proofread this.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 6:12 AM   #3

WELL!

I did a whole page worth if crazy information and I am not going to want to make you dizzy.

It is impossible with the current technology to have a pc connected to a high definition monitor without seeing "issues".

YOu ever wonder why the 24 inch pc monitors are 16to10 while high definition monitors are 16to9? it has alot to do with the 6pixle and 8 pixle. To my understanding, you are forcing 8 pixles from a pc graphics card into a high definition that only supports 6. these are multiples of 6 and 8. the problem is very common at the moment and the result is banding. If you look at the typed text from a pc into a high definition monitor, you wonder why some spots are blurred while others are sharp. This is called "banding"

There is no mythical HD monitor that will ever work on a pc....from what I know of.

So what you really need to ask yourself is. the samsung you want is only 32 inches that is only 720p which provides a resolution of 1366x768. You plug this into your pc and now you are wondering why the image does not cover the ends. This is because it is off by a few pixles. Now you need hardware scaling and stretching. MOst high definition does not support scaling and stretching. If they did...ahhhh yes! the banding. I have blured areas on my text on some spots!

That was my expirience from a hd monitor that I got rid of since I do some graphic arts work sometimes. I'm not one but I do dable with very sharp images. This next link provides some user expiriences.

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/comm...isplay-pc.html

This link provides to a link about a monitor that does 1080 natively...i think
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088497

anyway, Im not going to bore you. I stayed away from a high definition monitor and purchased a HP w2408 (this is a LG screen) that is far superior than any samsung or gateway or dell monitor in the market.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=1x7J_woAw88 this one shows the horrors of color banding.

this next one shows ou the color palete. Both claim same numbers in the millions but gateway is far behind which the lcd is from samsung
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7xfLSspLbqM&NR=1

so gateway is the same as samsung as
HP is the same as LG.....LG is the best! So I chose the HP w2408

My final thoughts are that if you are not that picky at all about graphics and quality, make sure you get a hd that is 1080 native vga and a video card that uses this resolution as well. also make sure that it supports scaling and stretching on the HD monitor itself! THe monitor you choose will be a hit or miss. Be carefull! or better yet, get an external drive, plug in the sanyo to it and plug that into a high definition monitor that supports the sanyo output through HDMI and not use the pc at all for presentation of the high def content. pixle pitch is what you should also look at. anything higher than .50 is worth it
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:36 AM   #4

Hi Cresho,

Again a fountain of knowledge and a lot of good information thanks mate. I suppose at the moment until technology jumps up another gear in the TV stakes I would be better off sticking to a computer monitor.

I actually went to a Dell kiosk today and connected my HD1010 to a new Dell 24" monitor to check out a few videos I took and they looked gorgeous. Did it look as good as the Samsung 32" TV...hard to say without them being side by side but I would say the difference if there was any would be little enough as not to worry me.

Something I did notice though was that the camera when showing videos through the dock automatically scales up 720p videos to 1080. I couldn't see any real difference between the full 1080 and the scaled up 720p, maybe you would on a 40 or 50 inch plasma but on the 24" Dell they looked the same. Also I did not see any real difference between 1080i and 1080p either, maybe I just don't know what to look for.

I even played a bit using the camera to shoot directly to the screen. I tell you I held my hand close to the camera in macro mode and it was almost like looking down a microscope with the big screen. Very sharp, you would be surprised at how much dirt is really under your fingernails.:-)

Anyway thanks again Cresho, it looks like I will go with the Dell. I had a look at the HP but it only comes with a 12 month warranty and seeing as though I just recently exchanged my Dell 20" monitor under warranty after it developed a fault two weeks out from the end of its 3 year warranty, it suits me better. I am a full time carer for my Dad and I have my monitor on at least 12 hours a day every day and warranty is a big deal for me.

I wonder what the new Diablo III will look like on the screen. :-)

Cheers

Robert
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:07 PM   #5

Just a small additional info here!

I recently grabbed my high definition 20 inch from the kitchen (btw, the xacti plays well on it) and pluged my pc into it. It is a 720p high definition monitor. It gaved me a scale to wide option or a 4:3 option. I did manage to get the picture to look good and did not notice any banding I was not able to get a 1080p for obvious reasons but the resolution was pretty high which was just above the 1360x768. the option i was really hoping to see was a 1:1 pixle. I was curious if it had this support but none available. The other one was a scaling option to "fill to aspect ratio". None was available.

My old high definition monitor had a terrible native resolution of 1366x768. my pc had a support of 1360x768(this is where the 8pixle and 6 pixle comes in story). when stretched, it caused the nasty banding.

The high definition monitors have improved greatly. A really good high definition monitor for me still stands at 1920x1080 resolution 1:1 scaling support also with "scale to aspect ratio". Also, it must support very odd pc resolutions like 320x480 or even lower rediculous resolutions. Sometimes, on my older hd monitor or even the samsung kitchen hd monitor, It gives me an error of not supporting the lower end resolutions. Even then, it must support pc monitor hibernate mode signal from the pc. the one I had before did not suspend the high definition at all. I'm not sure about the samsung support on this since I did not try. last but not least, it must support vga. if you go this route, the only issue I see here is blueray. Blueray requirement is HDMI for secure DRM drakonian technology for anti-copy purpouses! It is an enconvinience since HDMI forces lock on 1080p. If you use this, you cant play games lower than 1080p res ex. battlezone, and older games. with vga, it will scale resolutions but you get no blueray movies.....darn I'm starting to ramble!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:44 AM   #6

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
It is impossible with the current technology to have a pc connected to a high definition monitor without seeing "issues".
Absolute nonsense!! I have a 50" Samsung LCD HDTV and have a computer also hooked up to it. The picture is fantastic and no different whatsoever than a large computer monitor. No ghosting,no blur, nothing.I've used the computer on it to download and view movies and stuff like that and trust me, it's no different. Afterall, it's the same type of techology used.

I'd highly recommend you go with that 32" HDTV rather than the computer monitor. You'll want the size for certain things. However, if you're going to be sitting very close to it then you probably don't want something that large.

Rev. - btw, I'm an IT Technician for a living so I'm not talking out my rear on this.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:21 PM   #7

Hi Rev2010,

My only problem I have with going to the Sanyo 32" HDLCD TV is the clarity of the text. The Sony 32" LCD I saw connected to a computer in store had very low res text in file manager. I know it can be changed with the screen settings but it is a bit late after I get it home and find out it doesn't work.

I know it would be fantastic for watching my videos and TV but how is for general computer work?

Also one other question do you know if it supports watching TV through my computer TV card and working on the net at the same time. My current way of working/playing is to have the TV in a small window while I surf the net or do other general computer stuff? I can then bring the TV to full screen when my show is on and make it small when I need to answer an email or something.

Thanks

Robert
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:30 PM   #8

The LCD HDTV works the same as a regular computer LCD monitor. When viewing my computer hooked up to my LCD HDTV through the TV's VGA port I can attest to the quality being exactly the same as when viewing on a computer LCD monitor. The text is the same - razor sharp. There is no blurryness or anything like that - so long as you make sure you use the TV's native resolution which will likely be 1920x1080 at a 60hz refresh rate. If you use other resolutions or higher refresh ratesthen yeah, you'll get blurry text but you'll get the same thing with a PC LCD monitor when not using the native resolution/refresh rateof the monitor!

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:32 AM   #9

Thanks Rev I appreciate that. So I take it if I use my graphics card DVI output instead of VGA it will be the same as my Dell 20" only larger?

Robert
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:41 AM   #10

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Cresho wrote:
Quote:
Absolute nonsense!! I have a 50" Samsung LCD HDTV and have a computer also hooked up to it. The picture is fantastic and no different whatsoever than a large computer monitor. No ghosting,no blur, nothing.I've used the computer on it to download and view movies and stuff like that and trust me, it's no different. Afterall, it's the same type of techology used.

I'd highly recommend you go with that 32" HDTV rather than the computer monitor. You'll want the size for certain things. However, if you're going to be sitting very close to it then you probably don't want something that large.

Rev. - btw, I'm an IT Technician for a living so I'm not talking out my rear on this.
uhhhh! ya! my monitor has a Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.27 mm yours has a Dot pitch: .155 mm YOU know what this means? IT MEANS ALOT! Not only that, I have a 20/15 vision. I can see many defects. For presentation, your minitor is fine though but not for fine graphic arts work or if you are hardcore into photography. Even my older brother can comment on this since combined we have about 7 high definition televisions.

emprex 32 inch
mitsubishi 65 inch
mitsubishi 46 inch
samsung 20 inch
etc

THERE ARE ISSUES!
1. hdmi-hdcp needed for blueray decoding
2. vga will never support BLUERAY PASSTHROUGH
3. compression artifacts of certain images you cannot see jpeg defects on poor dot pitch
4. many many more.

This is why when I ask a client if they want best of both worlds, I recommend this monitor.

for graphic artists and videophile alike, I recommend a monitor similar to these specifications
sharp PN465U, 2 x 24-pin DVI-D-HDCP
15-pin HD-15 VGA In
Pixel Pitch 0.53mm,
Maximum Response Time 6ms,
LCD Monitor,Vertical Viewing Angle 176

the pixle pitch is off the scale Dot Pitch0.53mm. IT SUPPORTS DVI-HDCP. THis is important for future! But i'm not that crazy for this.