Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:18 PM   #21

I am 99% sure that EIS was on for the sample you see on Vimeo. It would be interesting to see an on vs. off comparison somewhere. Seems like it wouldn't make up the difference between the TX1 and the HD700....
bwgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:38 PM   #22

Cresho EIS is Electronic Image Stabilisation.

One comment about the Panasonic I looked at it before I bought my HD1010 and you are so right about the sound, it is just horrible.

Also one other deal breaker for me was the zoom speed. In movie mode it is slowed way down compared to when taking a photo. When I want to zoom I want to be able to zoom much faster than the TZ5 can do, I don't need a camera to artificially slow the zoom down and give me no option to speed it up.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:02 PM   #23

Electronic Image stabilization.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:47 PM   #24

ohhh i goet it, what you guys are saying is that EIS is good for stabalizing image but not good for FOV? I hope I am not confused because I am!
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:14 PM   #25

That's how EIS works on the HD700. It crops the image and then moves the crop around inside the wider image to try to counteract camera shake. That's also why you get a sharper image with EIS off on the HD700, because when EIS is on, it crops the image and then scales it back up to the targeted res. In fact, I bet my 640x480 mode without EIS is nearly as good as one of the HD modes with EIS on because of this -- but I digress.

On the HD1000 it's TOTALLY different. The sensor is bigger than the HD image they capture, so they can move the full resolution around on a bigger chip (thus no crop is needed for EIS on the HD1000). So for the HD1000, EIS on or off doesn't affect the effective resolution of the captured image (whereas on the HD700 it does).
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:28 PM   #26

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
That's how EIS works on the HD700. It crops the image and then moves the crop around inside the wider image to try to counteract camera shake. That's also why you get a sharper image with EIS off on the HD700, because when EIS is on, it crops the image and then scales it back up to the targeted res. In fact, I bet my 640x480 mode without EIS is nearly as good as one of the HD modes with EIS on because of this -- but I digress.

On the HD1000 it's TOTALLY different. The sensor is bigger than the HD image they capture, so they can move the full resolution around on a bigger chip (thus no crop is needed for EIS on the HD1000). So for the HD1000, EIS on or off doesn't affect the effective resolution of the captured image (whereas on the HD700 it does).
NOW IT MAKES SENSE! thanks a bunch. I'll leave it on then.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:46 AM   #27

I guess I never actually said that that is why EIS off increases the field of view on the HD700 but doesn't on the HD1000. Beyond that, I'll never understand why 640x480 is wider than widescreen HD, that's just stupid. Nonetheless, I use 4x3 on the HD700 all the time just because of the wider angle.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:51 AM   #28

Duplicate post :roll:
renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:01 AM   #29

Would someone with an HD700 be willing to post a video showing field of view with EIS off and with it on? Just point at something from the same distance and create a short clip in each mode? I'd be curious how much difference it makes... especially in high-def mode...
bwgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:21 AM   #30

Doesn't really matter cause EIS sucks so bad no one should ever use it, lol. Didn't take me more than a day to realize that it was making things worse, not better.