Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1

I had an HD700 for a period of time and I found the field of view at the unzoomed/wide end to be very narrow.

Does anyone out there know if the HD1000 in particular is any wider at all? (Of course, referring to the default lens with no adapters.) Or, maybe is the HD1010 any wider?

Thanks!
bwgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:29 PM   #2

I'm not the guy who can answer your question but I can adapt a fish-eye-lens to my hd1000 to grab more of the surrounding. Maybee they have such a lense for yours?
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:18 PM   #3

If you have a look on the front of the lens it will tell you the zoom range of the lens. On my HD1010 the zoom range is f=6.3-63.00mm. If the numbers on your HD700 are lower than 6.3 then it will have a wider view at wide angle. If the number is larger than 6.3 it will have a narrower view at wide angle.

As Cresho says you can buy a semi-fisheye or a wide angle lens for the front of the HD1000 & 1010 maybe you can get one for the HD700 I don't know.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:05 AM   #4

I no longer have my HD700, but in looking at specs on the web the HD700, 1000 and 1010 all have the same specs you mentioned (6.3) for the 1010.

That said, I do have a Canon TX1 that shows 6.5-65.0mm on the lens. But it has a significantly wider field of view (via my own testing) than the HD700 had. I could be wrong, but my reading says the actual field of view is not totally determined by the measurement you quoted.

So, I'm wondering if anyone who has upgraded from the HD700 to the 1000 or 1010 can comment on the comparative field of view...
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:53 AM   #5

This is interesting. on a side note, how do you like you canon?
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 1:41 PM   #6

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
This is interesting."
Yes, I have been trying to determine the real field of view for a few cameras. On paper it seemed the Canon Tx1 would be narrower than the HD700, but in actuality it was quite a bit more wide. Hence my attempts to figure out if the HD1000 is wider than the HD700, even though the lens specs look the same.

"on a side note, how do you like you canon?"

I like it quite a bit. It is nice and small and the image quality is quite good for stills and movies.. I'm pondering a move to the HD1000 or HD1010 just for maybe a bit better picture quality, but I wouldn't want the same narrow field of view. Also, the Canon doesn't suffer from any of the odd still issues the HD700 had. (Flashing to black screen, picture turns out composed different than what shows on the monitor screen, etc.)
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:56 PM   #7

If you want to work out the 35 film equilivant for a wide angle lens fitted to your camera you can do this. The normal lens on the HD1010 is 6.3mm to 63.0mm (35mm film camera conversion 38mm to 380mm)

So if you multiply 38mm by the size of the wide angle lens you get this

Sanyo Wide angle lens which is .7 works out as 38mm X.7=26.6mm (most wide angle lens on most cameras is 28mm.

Sanyo Semi-Fish eye lens which is .4 works out as 38mm X .4 = 15.6mm. which is very wide but shows a black round part on the outside of the lens. If zoom in until there is no black border it is still way wider than the normal lens and even the Sanyo wide angle.

I will make a short video for you showing the difference between the standard lens, the Sanyo Semi-fisheye and my old Raynox 6600 pro wide angle lens which is .66

Robert
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:05 AM   #8

Vimeo has the video up now. I mention on the video that my Raynox is 26.6mm wide angle on this camera but that is what it would be with the Sanyo Wide angle lens. The Raynox is actually 25.08.

So if you wanted to compare the standard Sanyo Wide angle to the Semi Fisheye in the video just imagine the Raynox zoomed in a little bit.

Here is the video.
http://www.vimeo.com/1702175

EDIT=====> I made a mistake with the Raynox wide angle lens I forgot to zoom back out to full wide angle after using the Sanyo semi-fisheye. I have made a corrected video but have to wait until the end of the week to upload it as I do not have enough space left.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 7:42 PM   #9

The trick with an HD700 is to record in 640x480 mode. Yeah, yeah, I know all you HD fanboys will freak that you're leaving all that res and bitrate on the table, but if you want the widest angle on that cam, it is BY FAR done by running in 640x480 mode with EIS off. It's like putting on a .7x wide adapter or more without actually putting anything on it. And the reality is for web video, it still looks great. Also, if you adapt a wide angle lens to it and then run it in 640x480 with EIS off, the field of view is SICK. I use that all the time, and even in the most crowed indoor spaces, I get an incredible field of view for such a small pocket cam.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:39 PM   #10

That is a neat trick going to 640X480 it certainly gives you more up and down space. On my HD1010 though it does not give any more horizontal space.