Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 20, 2008, 5:41 AM   #1

1. Has anyone had any success in copying videos back to the camera and getting the camera to play them?

I have been able using AVIDEMUX to successfully copy a partially edited video...Cut a section out then copied it to a different folder using the same name. (The O in Sanyo is actually a Zero not an O.

I tried the same editing the video with some sharpening and increase saturation then re-encoding as a .264 MP4 video with the same name, but the camera did not like it and locked up. I had to take the battery out, put battery back in take a photo, then I could access the faulty video and delete it in the camera.

I also tried using the filters but just copying the video but that didn't work either.

2. Does anyone know if the camera will play back edited videos when using the dock and an external Hard drive connected? It would be nice to edit the videos with menus, fades etc then play them back from the external hard drive.

Thanks

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:50 AM   #2

That is interesting but no....not possible to do this. Your camera does not have codecs installed. It is specific to what it can use because of licensing issues. It is specific to only playback of h264 and aac in a proprietary mp4 container as well as recording. Sanyo was specific to these specs and it will not play anything else out of the lines of h264 and aac and also it's proprietary mp4 container. It will not even play xvid and aac aka faac because it does not carry a codec database to draw up as a decoder.

If the community created a Hacked firmware to which we did what we wanted, we could eventually flash the tweaked firmware which I know people would add ffmpeg for recording videos as well as decoding and this would be considered an "open device" such as my zaurus, the Moko phone, eeepc by asus, etc.

Even if you used vegas video, these files will not even play on it. Even if you just did a direct copy of the audio and video and encoded it in an mp4 container it will not work. The codec they are using is proprietary technology and lots of people spent hours hacking these formats just for us to use or change it to something we can work with.

mp4cam2avi was created for such purpouses, to "transfer the contained data to avi" for us to use. THis project looks dead and does not work with files over 2gb which is a total drag!

Vegas video- With this 800 dollar software, you can use the mp4 by mainconcept (not a sanyo brand) and it only gives you 2 options for ipod conversion but you can tweak it....what I mean is that who knows what the mp4 is going to look like when sanyo uses specific timestamps , h264 compression rate, even the aac and etc.

I don't recommend experimenting with various ways of encoding just to see if it will work on the camera because if your camera locks up, it will be repeating cycles and most likely heat the unit up to death. Good thing you pulled the battery out.

This will Not possible without spending tons of hours figuring out lots of variables.

what I do recommend if you choose this path, people edit the flicks with the camera (ohh god I tried this and ugh...its okay but not for me).

sony playstation 3 can also play certain divx files.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstat...-support-divx/

lets see, http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=592023&forum_id=27 he has expirience with the ps3.

I think what I would do in this case and this is my personal expirience and have over 10+ years of pc, software expirience is building a pc microtower with built in handle.

I actually built one for a friend. It had a handle, it was super small, it had a micro atx form factor, foldable keyboard, micromouse, one powercord. It fit in a gym bag and he didnt care if it got banged up because it was a super sturdy pc case. It had dvi, vga, hdmi, NO NOISE from fans! It had like 17 or lower db fans and a fan controller set to low, terabyte disk space, a multi capable cd dvd player and burner as well. he uses it for presentations. about 500 bucks total and alot of customizations to go with it.

finally this post here proves it.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...27&page=47
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:07 AM   #3

Thanks Cresho for the in depth reply, I certainly learned something new. It just seems a shame because if you could drop your edited videos onto your SD card, showing your videos in their full glory would be so much easier.

You would not have to worry about showing your videos to your friends and making sure they had a bluray player or if their DVD player would accept the DVD you just burned.

Actually it amazes me that my little camera will play back my videos with just a HDMI cable connected to a TV. Makes you wonder when they will develop a small solid state video player....no more scratched or damaged discs, burnt out lasers or electric motors, just an SD memory card. If your video is over 32 gig you need to edit it more. :lol:
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:20 AM   #4

I personally burn to dvd. Most people around here still use the old television tubes with a dvd player. a few folks own high definition players with progressive scanning dvd players. THose dvd players output 480p to 1080p no problems and I won't say it looks like HD but my dvd's do look superb on them.

I am planning on getting a smaller pc form factor to carry around but it's not worth the trouble since It would only benefit the few people I know who own high definition sets which is very little.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:31 AM   #5

HA! you got me thinking about a small unit I could of wanted to market and Sell (I can do this around the area) but I actually found a unit to which you can wifi your videos into it. Im guessing you can use ftp. and it sits next to your high definition TV.

If you look at the supported specifications, you can easily encode videos to be played back on this device.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882994005

I'm not saying I recommend it but there are devices out there that manufactures are producing cheaply until the blueray drakonian technology decides to take off. Personally, I am not heading towards blueray at all.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:37 AM   #6

If you read the reviews, most had issues with it. one guy recommended a playstation 3 over this. Not a bad idea.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:01 PM   #7

If you own an HDTV, you might want to consider something like this media player for your HD videos...

http://www.tvixbox.com/

I have the 6500 and it works like a charm.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:59 PM   #8

ya I saw this and never gaved it a second thought because of this one small section i read.

"The TVIX HD M-6500A Digital Network Multimedia Player offers high quality HDMI and Component video as well as S-Video and Composite allowing connection to all types of displays. Networking capability supports video over LAN of low and high bitrate MPEG-2 (DVD and HD) as well as an optional wireless smart add-on (not recommended for High-definition 720p/1080i files). The TVIX is flexible enough to be connected to older standard definition TVs, HDTVs and PC monitors alike. The TVIX HD M-6500A also features both analog 2-channel and digital (Coax/Toslink) audio connections."

is it referring to the network alone that it wont support hi def or is it the whole thing. please elaborate!

Also, My friends pc ended being cheaper with 1t worth of disk space. They ask for 179 when the disk itself is about 129 right now. The 399 has no disk space. so your looking at 600 dollars worth with a sentence saying (not recommended for High-definition 720p/1080i files).

ohh and here is the case i used to build my friends pc
http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...01-F&area=

thanks for the link. It looks interesting.