Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:32 AM   #1

Hey guys, really into this camera, been planning on buying it for a while now but I've got a few questions before I go ahead and buy one. Hope you guys can help.....

1. What is the camera compatibility with Apples? Specifically Final Cut Pro but also iMovie.

2. What's the highest size of memory card it can take? I've been looking at a 16GB one class 6 for £21.

3. Has this camera been officially released in the UK? I've see it on a few 'grey import' sites but I'd prefer to get one with a UK warranty.

4. What's the lens attachment like? I've heard some people say its threaded and some folk say its push fit. I was looking at the Sanyo semi-fish eye lens, any use it? I'd like a baby death lens but I'm unsure of the fitting.

Any other things I should know (apart from the shaky IS) before I go for it?

I'm mainly going to be filming band footage - live and studio based on location. Does anyone have any suggestions for a video light / external mic which works well with the camera.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.
vneilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2008, 8:15 AM   #2

vneilv wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys, really into this camera, been planning on buying it for a while now but I've got a few questions before I go ahead and buy one. Hope you guys can help.....

1. What is the camera compatibility with Apples? Specifically Final Cut Pro but also iMovie.

2. What's the highest size of memory card it can take? I've been looking at a 16GB one class 6 for £21.

3. Has this camera been officially released in the UK? I've see it on a few 'grey import' sites but I'd prefer to get one with a UK warranty.

4. What's the lens attachment like? I've heard some people say its threaded and some folk say its push fit. I was looking at the Sanyo semi-fish eye lens, any use it? I'd like a baby death lens but I'm unsure of the fitting.

Any other things I should know (apart from the shaky IS) before I go for it?

I'm mainly going to be filming band footage - live and studio based on location. Does anyone have any suggestions for a video light / external mic which works well with the camera.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.
Hi Vnielv,

I have the HD1010 and love the camera. I will answer some of your questions.

1. Sorry I don't know I am a PC man.

2. 32 gig

3. Sorry don't know.

4. It is a 40.5mm thread. I also have the semi-fisheye lens and use it for my Hang gliding. Here is a video showing the difference between the standard lens....Raynox 6600 pro wide angle lens and the Sanyo semi-fisheye lens. If you are doing bands in any enclosed space you would really need a wide angle lens as the standard 38mm(35mm film camera equivalent) is fairly narrow. http://www.vimeo.com/1741337

5. I have seen a video on Vimeo of a person testing the Rode external microphone which appeared to work very well. It looked bigger than the camera but the person liked the quality of the sound.

6. External lights I have also seen a video of a person using a light composing of LED's which screwed to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera.

I hope that helps with some of your questions.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:16 PM   #3

I have also questions about this camera, should I buy it or something else? I have been thinking between Sanyo HD1010 and Canon HF100.

Sound is more clear in Sanyo and AGC is good choice, especially when filming loud and noisy band rehercials. I don't want to adjust mic sound input lower, becouse I never remember to do it, I guess that is the case with Canon HF100.

Canon HF100 in live: http://www.vimeo.com/1134041
Sanyo HD1000 in live: http://www.vimeo.com/786213

I know Canon HF100 has better focus and stabilization system. But how much better they are than Sanyos?

I am also filming sometimes inside car, camera attached to passanger seat, Canon HF100 CMOS seem to be more shaky in almost every test pictures I have seen, when camera is attached to car. Is this CMOS issue, but how can Sanyo perform so much better, if this is CMOS issue?

Canon HF100 incar: http://www.vimeo.com/920276
Sanyo HD1000 incar: http://www.vimeo.com/649764

Really don't know what to buy anymore, is Sanyo good camera or should I get Canon or Sony instead, or Panasonic, they seem to be more expensive, becouse they are known to be good quality products? How about Sanyo is it good quality product?

My last Canon IS2 broke when I was shooting in snow rain, so I don't know about Canon and they are now manufacturing them in China.

How about Sanyo can it take humidity and cold weather?

Is Sanyo manufactured in Japan?
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote