Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1

The 1010 looks like a sweet little camera. Mine old Super 8 just crapped out today and I need to buy something and get it shipped to me by Friday. Two questions about the 1010...

- I read a review on Amazon that said the image stabilization was very poor. Does that only matter when you are very far zoomed in? It's not like I am zooming all day long, so if it is only a real problem during zoom I can live with it.

- I read on the Sanyo site that it is a 4 megapixel sensor that is processed up to 8 megapixel. I don't know the tech behind it, but do the pictures look good? Could I still print out a 16 x 20 poster of a picture and it look decent?

Thanks in advance. The sooner you can help, the better! I have to order ASAP!!!!

Patrick
poleary2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:36 PM   #2

poleary2000 wrote:
Quote:
The 1010 looks like a sweet little camera. Mine old Super 8 just crapped out today and I need to buy something and get it shipped to me by Friday. Two questions about the 1010...

- I read a review on Amazon that said the image stabilization was very poor. Does that only matter when you are very far zoomed in? It's not like I am zooming all day long, so if it is only a real problem during zoom I can live with it.

- I read on the Sanyo site that it is a 4 megapixel sensor that is processed up to 8 megapixel. I don't know the tech behind it, but do the pictures look good? Could I still print out a 16 x 20 poster of a picture and it look decent?

Thanks in advance. The sooner you can help, the better! I have to order ASAP!!!!

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Regarding the image stabilisation, is it as good as optical image stabilisation, no, have I found it a particular problem so far no.

One thing where people are having problems with shaky video is the camera is very light and you do have to be careful walking with the camera as there is no mass to dampen out your footsteps. It can be done and just takes practice to hold the camera steady.

Also there are options for steadycams that can be attached to the bottom of the camera to help with shaky video.

Regarding photos here is a link to my pbase account where I have uploaded a number of test photos I have taken. Unless stated they are straight out of the camera. Personally I find the still photos very good for a video camera, whether or not it would blow up to 16X20 I don't know but it is amazing what can be done with fractal resizing programs.

http://www.pbase.com/reelate2/sanyo_1010_video_camera
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3

Poleary,

I have had my HD1010 for about 2 weeks now and have been testing the HELL out of it.

The image stabilization when ZOOMED in is AWFUL. Yet this the shaking is a non factor when completely zoomed out. A wide angle lens will also help GREATLY with stabilization.

I am very picky and the stabilization is the ONE thing I was unhappy about with this cam but that being said, it is an EXCELLENT camera with many great features. Once you get the hang of it you can apply many techniques to avoid the digital shake.

Also, I am VERY happy with the 16:9 4 megapixel photos.

Good luck on your search!!

~Matty
Matty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 3:33 PM   #4

Poleary,

Please take a look at a short video clip I made showing zooming with EIS both ON and OFF.

With the stabilizer ON, the shakiness is indeed reduced, that is until the camera moves a bit. Then the shakiness becomes much worse.

With the stabilizer OFF you get a bit more shake when zoomed in but less when you pan or move the camera around.

http://ra.lunarservers.com/~beats3/video/EISTEST.zip

Hope this helps.

~Matty
Matty S. is offline   Reply With Quote