Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 18, 2008, 4:07 AM   #1

I just processed a flying video from my hang glider using my HD1010.

I was experimenting with 1080p 30fps -v- 720p 60fps. This video was taken at 1080p and cut and joined using Avidemux then processed further in Serif's MoviePlus X3 using an agressive curves and sharpening setting. I may have overdone the Curves setting but hey I love experimenting. :-)

I think the 1080p 30fps is OK when I have a fair bit of height but when I am close to the ground and flying fast I think 720p 60fps does a better job.

Anyway enjoy a view over Stanwell Park, near Sydney Australia.

http://www.vimeo.com/1995790
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2008, 7:40 AM   #2

:| Very nice! I noticed your fisheye lense in effect . at one point, I was thinking you were too close to the homes down in the bottom
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:41 PM   #3

Thanks Cresho, it is very deceiving with the fisheye effect, it is very hard to judge what height I am flying at looking at the video. Actually just before I turn onto final over the lagoon/creek I am lower than it looks. It also looks as though I am flying right over the tops of the houses, again I am not, I am just to the right of the lagoon/creek before I turn onto final.

I have even had my flying buddies on seeing my landing approaches on video saying that I really come in high. I just tell them no it is just the wide angle lens making it look as though I am higher than I really am. Similar to my test on Vimeo showing the standard lens compared to the Raynox 6600pro and the Sanyo Semi-fishey. With the semi-fisheye lens fitted the houses on the other side of the road look miles away.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:56 PM   #4

I really enjoyed that video.. wow, hang gliding looks like a lot of fun!

It also looks a little dangerous.. :lol:

I'm beginning to think I should get the HD1010 rather than the HD800, I guess we are all universally disappointed with the HD800... personally I'm disappointed with the price of the HD1010, but it's something to get over I guess.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:42 PM   #5

Hi Crunchy,

Thanks for the compliments, dangerous, it is all relative. Two of the instructors at Stanwell have been doing Tandems at Stanwell for over 30 years each and still going strong.

Regarding the HD1010 compared to the HD800 and the price, yes the price of the 1010 may be high, but you do get a lot of camera for the price and I can still fit it into the back pocket of my jeans, which is just amazing for a full HD video camera. :-)
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:31 AM   #6

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
I just processed a flying video from my hang glider using my HD1010.

I was experimenting with 1080p 30fps -v- 720p 60fps. This video was taken at 1080p and cut and joined using Avidemux then processed further in Serif's MoviePlus X3 using an agressive curves and sharpening setting. I may have overdone the Curves setting but hey I love experimenting. :-)

I think the 1080p 30fps is OK when I have a fair bit of height but when I am close to the ground and flying fast I think 720p 60fps does a better job.

Anyway enjoy a view over Stanwell Park, near Sydney Australia.

http://www.vimeo.com/1995790
Great post!!!!!

I wish I see this many years ago when I was little

Get back to the topic, the shots are excellent. How do you like your HD1010 TODAY? And other than fisheye, you bought any other accessories? Oh, what lens size is the HD1010? Is it a 43 mm?

TIA,

bun
bunanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:36 AM   #7

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
I really enjoyed that video.. wow, hang gliding looks like a lot of fun!

It also looks a little dangerous.. :lol:

I'm beginning to think I should get the HD1010 rather than the HD800, I guess we are all universally disappointed with the HD800... personally I'm disappointed with the price of the HD1010, but it's something to get over I guess.
Hey, I notice you are also in the market for another cam. Have you bought anything yet?

I am still checking out the HD800. I think the jury is still out. The only one video that was posted was shot in pitch dark, I guess, I would like to see more posting before I move onto HD1010. Relate2's video is shot under outdoor lighting, I believe the HD700 or HD800 should do just fine. The only advantage I can see onthe HD1010 is

1) able to use my accessories lens, (this is a big plus for me :-) )
2) 10 X optics

cons:

a little bigger.

Any thoughts?

bun
bunanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 1:04 PM   #8

Hi,
thanks a lot for the video, I've always wanted to try hang gliding instead of skydiving, but since I've been skydiving I've never found the time: but I must.

Any way back to the HD1010..

I use my CG65 for jumps and have the HD700 ( the ratio size/ quality is really good!) but for sure i'm interested in the 60fps wide angle and semi HD would be enough.

I've seen on your video, vignetting (I'm not shure that it's said that way in english) on the left but not on the right. Is that normal?

What are the settings for the wide angle, as I found nothing in the manual?

Looking at your video it's hard to see how far away you are for it, would there be a way for you to do a little video of yourself holding the camera with your arm semi flexed.

Thanks
mike
fastmike524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:12 PM   #9

You are never too old to take up hang gliding. I didn't start till I was 54 and we have a pilot at Stanwell who is still flying and he is 85. :-)

The lens size is 40.5.

Here is a test I did with the standard lens, Raynox 6600pro wide angle lens, and the Sanyo Semi-Fisheye lens.
http://www.vimeo.com/1741337

To answer your question the camera was mounted about 1.5-2 feet away from me on the base bar of my hang glider. I would say it would be very similar to holding the camera in your hand with a slightly bent arm.

The vignetting is normal just on one side of the lens, why I don't know. You can easily get rid of it by just zooming in a bit but I want the maximum field of view so I leave it fully zoomed out.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:11 AM   #10

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
The lens size is 40.5.

Here is a test I did with the standard lens, Raynox 6600pro wide angle lens, and the Sanyo Semi-Fisheye lens.
http://www.vimeo.com/1741337

Relate2,

where did you buy the Sanyo Semi-Fisheye lens from.

I will probably be buying a 1010 this coming week and will defintely need the extra lens.

Cheers

Steve the Dropbear
The_Dropbear is offline   Reply With Quote