Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:38 AM   #11

Tummy wrote:
Quote:
staats wrote:
Quote:
the image stasbilzation and focusing is better. Maybe? Botton line, is it worth $200 more?
Over the summer I bought a HD1000, then exchanged it for the HD1010. Got it from Amazon and they have very liberal return polices.

I would say that the 1010 is an improvement. First of all, I take more pictures with it than I do videos. The 1010 has a photo preview button which displays the frame as the photo would appear with the outline for the video. The HD1000 required a half press to see the photo framing.

The image stabilization is not better, it's just different. It's not able to adjust for larger movements and makes the picture more jerky. I usually turn it off.

I think the focus is a lot better, but could be better still.
i am bumping this incase the guy with the question misses it.

THanks! :-)
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:48 AM   #12

I saw it and thanks to everyone so far.

I am looking at this as a still photo device as well for travel etc. I have a more serious (read difficult to use) digitial camera with capabilities like macro focus, mny kinds of exposureetc. for those situations.

So the update on the still photos thing is nice.

One other thing, I've read it's a 4MP and REV1010 says the 1000 is a 3.5.

Are the they both really the same or is the 1010 slightly higher resolution?

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:10 AM   #13

I am also thinking about buying HD1010 model, becouse 1080p is better when viewing and editing videos with your computer, but if you plug camera to your TV it doesn't matter is it 1080i or 1080p, you can't see much difference or any difference at all. There has been lot of arguing about video modes, please don't mix up things

Sanoy HD1010 has 1080i (60 fields per second) and 1080p (30 frames per second)

Sanyo HD1000 has 1080i (60 fields per second)

specifications are here:

Sanyo HD1010: http://www.sanyodigital.com/specifications.aspx?v=22
Sanyo HD1000: http://www.sanyodigital.com/specifications.aspx?v=17

Both cameras take 4MP still pictures.

I am not sure about this, but I bet there has to be some hardware difference between these models, becouse I think you can't easily add 300 fps (frames per second) slow motion mode to these cameras only with firmware changes.

If you are looking videos mainly from your computer, your choice would be 1010, but if you usually watch videos from TV then you could choose 1000 or 1010.

Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:45 AM   #14

yes, I'm bad! I meant to say that 1080i on the hd1000 is 60 fields per seconds a.k.a. 30 frames per seconds. But as I was telling the other guy, there is no 1080p mode on the hd1000
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:30 PM   #15

Quenaelin wrote:
Quote:
I am also thinking about buying HD1010 model, becouse 1080p is better when viewing and editing videos with your computer, but if you plug camera to your TV it doesn't matter is it 1080i or 1080p, you can't see much difference or any difference at all. There has been lot of arguing about video modes, please don't mix up things

Is this really true because I only watch my videos on my Toshiba 56"? I've thought about selling my HD1000 and getting the HD1010 especially with the Windows Live 25% discount on Ebay but if the quality isn't going to be noticeable maybe I'll wait until there's a HD1020 or 2000 model. I'm really happy with the HD1000 except for slow focusng when zooming. I have successfully edited 1080i videos using a trial version of Corel Videostudio X2 Pro and burned onto regular DVDs as AVCHD which played back on my PS3 with no obvious loss in quality.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:41 PM   #16

I really don't have both models, but I know that from TV you can't tell much difference between good quality interlaced and good quality non-interlaced video. Judging from videos from vimeo and youtube, there isn't much difference between 1000 and 1010. Only big differences are 1080p and 300 fps video mode, are they worth it, you could decide. Maybe it could be worthwhile to wait if they are putting proper OIS in to their models. After merging Panasonic's OIS could be possible, if it isn't end of Sanyo Xacti cameras, I hope not.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:52 PM   #17

Just a quick comment about trying to judge the quality of full HD video on Vimeo or Youtube it is a waste of time. By the time I have compressed 3 gig of full HD Video down to 500 meg to comply with Vimeo's requirements the quality is not the same as the raw footage out of the camera.

If you wanted to compare you would have to download a raw file and compare.

What someone else said though about comparing 1080i to 1080p on a TV I agree. I even played some 720p on a 42" Plasma in a store using my camera and the dock and it looked stunning.

The main reason I want the best quality though is for when you show your videos in 10 years time to you grandkids on the newly release 500" TV you want the best quality you can display. :lol:
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:09 AM   #18

Quality is lower in youtube and vimeo, but that is mainly resolution quality. Focus, stabilization and brightness/contrast shows in video even if you recompress it to youtube quality, but I have also downloaded original footage (when available) from vimeo and judging from that.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 9:16 AM   #19

Question still remains, which has better price/quality factor, is 1080p and 300fps worth it. Generally is Sanyo worth it? My question is: Has it better features than Panasonic SD9 or Canon HF100? They all have about same price.

here is my comparison:

Sanyo HD1000 450€
+ 720p60fps
+ lowest price
+ good still pictures
+ manual controls
+ editing in camera
- bad stabilizer

Sanyo HD1010 600€
+ 1080p
+ 720p60fps
+ 300fps
+ good still pictures
+ manual controls
+ editing in camera
- bad stabilizer (even worse than HD1000?)
- graininess in low light

Panasonic SD9 599€
+ best stabilizer
+ no rolling shutter effect (CCD)
- too small still pictures
- bigger than Canon
- few manual controls

Canon HF100 630€
+ good stabilizer
+ best video quality
- graininess in still pictures
- bigger than Sanyo
- few manual controls

Sony TG3 669€
+ better stabilizer than Sanyo
+ metal casing
+ small
- bad rectangle shape
- memory stick Pro cards
- small lens = bad in low light
- few manual controls

Sanyo has good features, but I still have doubts about stabilization issue. Canon HF100 has good stablization and good quality video and I am really tempting to buy it, but then it doesn't have in camera editing and I really hate editing video with computer, so I haven't bought anything yet.

Sanyo HD1010 have better low light sensitivity but it also increases graininess, so I guess they only boosted sensor littlebit in HD1010 model nothing more. I have seen couple of videos from vimeo in low light condition that are actually more lighter than they should be and you also see graininess more clearly. But maybe with littlebit manual control you could avoid this? Dusk is like day:
http://www.vimeo.com/1719924
http://www.vimeo.com/1594562

Also fireworks seem to be worse in HD1010 than in 1000, maybe you could change this with manual settings?

HD1010 fireworks: http://www.vimeo.com/1736102
HD1000 fireworks: http://www.vimeo.com/1289039

Dark is dark in HD1000, but in HD1010 it is more like dark grey with graininess included. Then you also get washed out colors in fireworks, compared to Canon HF100's firework videos. Maybe HD1010 settings should be fireworks combined with vivid colors?

Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:04 PM   #20

My experience as follows :
I have sanyo hd2 and hd1000
when play via the dock to 40" LCD TV , there is big difference between hd2's 720p and hd1000's 1080i . I thinks it's the matter of resolution. Since i have not view any footage in 1080p ( hd1000 is 1080i) , could not comment.

in Hong Kong here , hd1000 and hd1010 is US$90 different . you can't belive hd100 is US400 now. 8G sandisk hd is $17us. so just purchase 10 could resolve the travelling problem to get 80G . Last Canada trip i used digimate to shoot 120G .

i gave up using hd2 to shoot video but photos ( for timelapse purpose , i made a
auto device with the remote control to shoot the clouds.... )

regarding the cam size ,hd800 vs hd1000 is the matter of give and take. size and quality.
I agree with relate2 that i will shoot the video as best as possible for grandson's....
just hundred grams to get stunning video is worth. my old video in vhs is stunningly bad ........ even dvd camcorder is a joke since it is just 640x.... when play in my HDTV,
regret,regret ........

i only have the problem----playing via the dock is stunning but using my computer in tel G45 ( no matter how to adjust the setting of the chips,only a bit better ) has a 10% quality discount ( someone told me that is the matter of encoding.... ,)

i love sanyo hd1000 very very much , light weight , portable , cheap , acceptable photo quality ,xacti library ,16:9 ,very large 1.8 aperture , ,using lightweight and cheaper sd card ,long life power(us$8 battery , i bought 3, too cheap , may be explosive ...... or use psp external backup battery)

I envy relate2 could fly in the sky , and see like a bird , record like an expert , i see the 1080i via 100" sharp aquas is also stunning

parissiu is offline   Reply With Quote