Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1

OK, I can get a 1000 for $200 less than the 1010. From all the reading I've done perhaps???? the image stasbilzation and focusing is better. Maybe?

Botton line, is it worth $200 more?

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:56 PM   #2

I got mines for 635 with a tripod, 16gb sd card, pouch, screen protector, sd card reader, ..hmm a few more items and this included tax and shipping. So your savings could be around 300 dollars.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:24 AM   #3

Thanks for responding but your reply is unclear. You got which for how much? In any case I'm asking about the value difference between the 1000 and 1010 not how good a deal you can get on either.

Have you used both versions?

The 1010 hasbeen out for a while butreading all the various threads is like a trip to OZ, interesting at times but inconclusive about the point I'm asking.

So that's why I asked point blank hoping there's someone who's had reasonable experience with both. If you've only used one of the two I don't think you can make a knowledgeable comment.

Thanks

Old Oct 20, 2008, 6:46 AM   #4

From what I read, people think it is worth spending the little extra money. I do struggle with focus at times...sometimes it is frustrating and other times its fine.

this guy has an opinion of the hd1010
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=928734

You are absolutely right but my post is simply stating about the bargains out there and you can get the hd1000 cheaper which leaves you with the decision of spending less instead of200-400 dollars more for the hd1010. So the cheaper price of the hd1000 might be a better deal or to say "a big stepping stone" for a newer xacti like probably a hd2000 (not out or even mentioned by sanyo...doesnt exist).

From my reading, both cameras have issues with focus (the hd1010 is improved but it still has issues), night shots are better in the hd1010, and the hd1010 needs a ring adapter if you want to use semi fish-eye lenses but the hd1000 does not need a ring adaptor. According to members here, The only difference between the two is firmware and hardware wise is totally identical. One more thing, because of the odd shaped or spaced lenses, you get a lense flare the size of a pinhole when you have a light facing you. this problem can be fixed by zooming in slightly. That is why I say that you can grab a hd1000 in ebay new for around 450 and i seen them cheaper than this recently. The HD1010 does [email protected] 60 fields per second. the hd1000 does 30. You also get slow motion capture like 300fps but I am not sure since I dont have a clue on this detail.

Just to add a bit more info, I was in your shoes. I decided for the hd1000 just because people are still having issues with night and focus. I had no desire to edit 1080i videos since its still not supported as well as progressive videos. We are borderlining here between good softwares and none existing softwares that can edit these video files. I almost purchased a hd1010 but I decided to wait for sanyo to release a newer one.

I think if I was in your shoes with my 650 dollars I had at the time, I would of purchased the hd1010. It was selling for 800 and would of spent 1000 dollars by the time i was done with sd cards and bags and tripods and all. I saved about 400 dollars.

400 dollar saving is what made my decision clear.

I just looked in ebay for a hd1010 and there is one for only 600 plus shipping. and sd cards that are 16gb are running low in the 30 dollar range. looks good.

I hope someone can help you further..
Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:32 AM   #5

I'm not going to buy from Ebay or from overseas. I'm also staying away from most of the NYC based retailers. Too many horror stories.

That doesleave a couple like B&H as well as JRR.

The number of retailers in the $400+ range then quckily dwindles to zero and while trying to decide I lost the one I was willing to use. So at this point the difference in price between the 1000 and 1010 from a reputable retailer is neglible.

I'll wait a bit and see if some more deals come up on the 1000.

Hopefully more input on the differences? :>)

Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 6:20 PM   #6

"The HD1010 does [email protected] 60 fields per second. the hd1000 does 30."

I think the HD1000 does [email protected] 60 fields per second too or am I getting frames mixed up with fields?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:27 AM   #7

no, hd1000 does [email protected] fields per second. There is no 1080p. Like I mentioned before, Both hardware are identical minus the firmware. It also have better compression algorhythm and this is why you see the hd1010 with [email protected] per seconds.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:11 AM   #8

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
no, hd1000 does [email protected] fields per second.* There is no 1080p.* Like I mentioned before, Both hardware are identical minus the firmware.* It also have better compression algorhythm and this is why you see the hd1010 with [email protected] per seconds.
My 1010 says it's doing 1080p 30fps. What are you talking about?
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:16 AM   #9

staats wrote:
Quote:
the image stasbilzation and focusing is better. Maybe? Botton line, is it worth $200 more?
Over the summer I bought a HD1000, then exchanged it for the HD1010. Got it from Amazon and they have very liberal return polices.

I would say that the 1010 is an improvement. First of all, I take more pictures with it than I do videos. The 1010 has a photo preview button which displays the frame as the photo would appear with the outline for the video. The HD1000 required a half press to see the photo framing.

The image stabilization is not better, it's just different. It's not able to adjust for larger movements and makes the picture more jerky. I usually turn it off.

I think the focus is a lot better, but could be better still.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:37 AM   #10

Tummy wrote:
Quote:
Cresho wrote:
Quote:
no, hd1000 does [email protected] fields per second. There is no 1080p. Like I mentioned before, Both hardware are identical minus the firmware. It also have better compression algorhythm and this is why you see the hd1010 with [email protected] per seconds.
My 1010 says it's doing 1080p 30fps. What are you talking about?
please read carefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAID THE HD1000 DOES NOTHING OF 1080p. IT IS NONE EXISTANT. THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!