Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:08 AM   #11

Does it have to be formatted with FAT32 partitions?

If so what does the unit do when full, auto open another file in the next partition?

Oh I see how you misunderstood. I was not considering 1GB cards I just wanted that number for calculation purposes.

Once reviewer said that the A-data cards felt flimsier? Hey I don't know. BUt I don't always believe all the bad reviews either. There were a number who had failures though. Maybe it's QC issue. Perhaps using a disk exercising program on the chip right after you buy one would uncover any early failures. Nobody want's a failure out in the field.

Now you say if you wait a couple weeks then it can be reformatted?

Can you explain what elapsed time has to do with recovery?

Thanks for the discussion.

Bob S.

staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:44 AM   #12

I don't think you can format it to reiserfs, ext2, ext3, ntfs and expect it to work in the sanyo camera. Sanyo xacti has a utility that formats the card for you to fat32/fat. When you are recording videos, as soon as it reaches its file max, it just stops. You are then left with a file that is about 2-2.5gb big or 30-40 minutes long depending on subject or compression (I'm not going to get into specifics). WHen it stops, you can start another video but it will be a second new file.

About giving sd cards time to "heal". There really is no specific timeframe. I just found out by expirience that the sd cards that have failed is most likely related to people not ejecting device before pulling it out of the card reader or what ever. partition becomes damaged and will need a reformat just to get it working agian. After the card becomes damaged, it "locks up" and is unreadable. I later found that I can insert, format, and have it working again.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:07 AM   #13

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
When you are recording videos, as soon as it reaches its file max, it just stops.* You are then left with a file that is about 2-2.5gb big or 30-40 minutes long depending on subject or compression (I'm not going to get into specifics). WHen it stops, you can start another video but it will be a second new file.
I don't know much about this but with my HD1010 it has a limit of 4 gig per video, but it automatically stops and restarts a new 4 gig video without any intervention by me.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:48 AM   #14

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know much about this but with my HD1010 it has a limit of 4 gig per video, but it automatically stops and restarts a new 4 gig video without any intervention by me.
Which how it should be in a consumer product of this calibre. It shouldn't even be using FAT32 but I suppose they had a good reason.

Thanks for the input. Is this a difference between the 1000 and the 1010?

I've had issues with the cards on my Fuijifilm camera and Windows sometimes not being able to read them. Windows won't but the camera will and with a USB cable I then get the photos. I always format the card on the camera. I can't say I've found any detectable pattern like ejecting or not ejecting the card first. Sometimes a reboot of Windows clears it up. Hey, it's Windows ... I've never lost any photos though.

Complexity goes up and reliability goes down.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:05 PM   #15

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
Cresho wrote:
Quote:
When you are recording videos, as soon as it reaches its file max, it just stops. You are then left with a file that is about 2-2.5gb big or 30-40 minutes long depending on subject or compression (I'm not going to get into specifics). WHen it stops, you can start another video but it will be a second new file.
you could be right since i was typing this half asleep. I just got lazy but the point is that there is a file size limit and thanks for for correcting me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

this gives file size limit info. It also depends on what fat version as well. I cannot recall about the video restarting on my camera but I did do an experiment and had a result. I just can't recall about the camera auto starting at all. ill probably post info on this tonight.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:31 AM   #16

Hi!

I just did a quick test. Just to verify once and for all the issue behind the continuation of video.

if your video is about 50 minutes long, it will split the file as long as it does not exceed 4gb. If you have a video that is 4gb long but not over 50 minutes, it will not create a second file. This is on the hd1000. I tried one with lense cap on so 50 minutes was around 800mb and started a second file.

interesting stuff.