Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:58 AM   #1

I think I've read somewhere that these cameras can accomodate up to a 32GB card?

Can someone succinctly explain the various speed class definitions, if there are any issues with 4 versus 6 or whatever?

Also, if I choose the 720/60 format how much time do I get per 1 GB?

Same question for any other likely formats I might choose?

Brands to choose/avoid? I am aware of potential counterfeits on EBay.

I am thinking of getting a portable USBhard drive which I understand can be used to offload the recordings from these cards.

Thanks in advance.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:33 PM   #2

So nobody knows nuthin'?

I think this hardrive looks like a nice off-loading device along with a pair of 8GB

cards.

Thoughts?

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/p...obile&exid=

and these cards

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_HD_SDHC.html

Bob S.

Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:03 PM   #3

"Also, if I choose the 720/60 format how much time do I get per 1 GB?"

720p/60fps = 11 min 20 sec/gig
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:50 AM   #4

Thanks. I was able to find a storage time table.

I'malso interested in peoples real life experience with off-loading the data cards onto a portable harddrive like the one I've listed.

From what I've read you need an external power supply for the drive which is perfectly understandable.

But from a practical standpoint what's it like to travel with Camera, docking station, harddrive, external power supply and what else?

Also, I'd want to be able to do this in something of a portable environment such as my car and certainly in the evening in a hotel room.

It doesn't appear to me that there's a slick, cable free, self contained product about the size of a pack of cigarettes that you could quickly connect to the camera for off-loading. So it's drag out all the various cables and power supplies/converters time.

We there is of course. Lots of cards and when a 32GB card is $10 the problem is solved.

Bob S.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:42 AM   #5

I think you need to make sure its a decent class, 6 or better i think for recording HD footage cuz of the ammount of data being transferred.

Ive got a USB external 500gb drive in the computer room with the dock connected. when ive been shooting i just drop it in the dock and let it sync to the drive. Flawless. I can then plug the drive into the computer and view the footage. The only issues ive got at the moment are editing. Using premiere cs3 the previewing of the footage stutters but that could be because of my computer or gfx card.

Id go for a decent 32gb or two 16gb cards rather than cheaper alternatives.
malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:50 AM   #6

Is class 6 really required. I didn't see that specified anywhere.

There seem to be so many designations for these cards not just class 4 or 6 that it gets very confusing. The prices vary like hell as well. I have Sandisk on my older digital camera and it's my impression that it's decent brand.

Bob S.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:02 PM   #7

1gb sd cards work fine on the xacti. its not a class of any kind nor it is a sdhc card. why do you want to shoot your foot off is beyond me. With a 1gb sd card, you will only get 10 minutes [email protected]

Here

go to this site and get your sd card from here.
http://www.amazon.com/DATA-16GB-Turb.../dp/B0010LPBRK

I use this card and works fine. the price on a 16gb sd cards are so cheap, mines came free including a usb cardreader and a tripod for my camera. 550 is not bad for what I payed for the whole thing plus tax plus shipping.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:31 PM   #8

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
1gb sd cards work fine on the xacti. its not a class of any kind nor it is a sdhc card. why do you want to shoot your foot off is beyond me. With a 1gb sd card, you will only get 10 minutes [email protected]

Here

I use this card and works fine. the price on a 16gb sd cards are so cheap, mines came free including a usb cardreader and a tripod for my camera. 550 is not bad for what I payed for the whole thing plus tax plus shipping.
Sorry but I'm not following your repsonse at all. Who's shooting their foot off and how?

The link you provided is indeed a SDHC card, class 6 so WTF are trying to say?

I have seen that card as reccomended by someone but on oneof the sites the reviews turned up some reports that they died shortly after being used.

Exactly which card type are you using?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:19 AM   #9

staats wrote:
Quote:
Cresho wrote:
Quote:

Here

Sorry but I'm not following your repsonse at all. Who's shooting their foot off and how?

The link you provided is indeed a SDHC card, class 6 so WTF are trying to say?

I have seen that card as reccomended by someone but on oneof the sites the reviews turned up some reports that they died shortly after being used.

Exactly which card type are you using?
I think I've read somewhere that these cameras can accomodate up to a 32GB card?

you can use 32gb sd cards on the hd1010 but depends on brands.

Can someone succinctly explain the various speed class definitions, if there are any issues with 4 versus 6 or whatever? specs are not available but you need to contact tech support for extra info such as this.

I see no issues with a lower than 4 speed classification sd card.

Also, if I choose the 720/60 format how much time do I get per 1 GB?

you get 10 minutes.

Same question for any other likely formats I might choose?

fat32 or fat only takes you 30-40 minutes per file since partition limitation of the fat or fat32 will not exceed 1.5gb or 2.0gb depending on version.

Brands to choose/avoid? I am aware of potential counterfeits on EBay.

ebay is sort of your friend. All brands are good. It depends on the firmware/hardware your unit has.

I am thinking of getting a portable USBhard drive which I understand can be used to offload the recordings from these cards.

this is fine. I personally use a sd card reader built into my pc and just cut and paste it into my desktop.

hope this answers your questions.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:39 AM   #10

Quote:
These people do not know how to eject sd cards. They corrupt the partition so they fail. After a few week, you can pop this into a windows xp machine and reformat and then it works again.

These guys need to learn how to eject aka "unmount" a device before removing it from a slot.