Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:43 PM   #1

It says here
http://www.davecolorado.com/index.php/avchd-video-card/
that
"ATI HD graphics cards like the HD3850 or HD3650 have built in HD decoding including H264/ AVC"

Does that mean if you have one of these cards, that you can edit AVCHD painlessly?
Or is it only for playback? That would help.
timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:14 PM   #2

Only for playback
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:20 PM   #3

Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:24 PM   #4

Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:42 PM   #5

Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:50 PM   #6

Go to options, preferences in vegas video. Under video, you will see a section for dynamic ram preview. you can tell your software how much ram to use.

In this case, the speed of your computer ram and not graphics cards will determine how fast you can preview your videos on the fly.

here is a link. read up on this. Like I was saying, it is a combination of things but this guy states lower ram improves rendering speed. This is true if your pc is up to date.

http://forums.digitalmedianet.com/cg...0931222552.htm

The faster your pc ram, the faster your video preview. Video rendering depends on your cpu, ram, hardrive speed.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:41 PM   #7

Here is an update. On my same hardware- 32mb video or 512mb video accelerated 3d graphics card, previewing and editing is about the same.

When I want to render a final file output, this is about the same regardless of the video card.

I guess sony has to work on the vegas If I want to preview smooth video.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:47 PM   #8

Thank youCresho. You are the resident expert. I never knew blender could edit video. Wow.

However, the reasons why I asked about the power of these graphic cards on the Sanyo forum is because i was thinking about a future purchase ofXacti HD1010 (2000?).

I have been put off the HD1000/1010 (and still use theHD2)because of thetrouble of playing back and editing AVCHD. I don't want tohave to use your (wonderful but time consuming) conversion tutorial to transcode to an editbale formatnor upgrade my PC.

ButifI could buy a $200 graphics card, then I might get myself a HD1010 or a HD2000 when they come out.

More detail just in case anyone is interested....
These days my pc's are lasting years. I have a couple of 1.8GHz Pentiums from 5 and 6 years ago, and a 3 year old 3.3 GHz Dual Pentium box which I would like to use for another 7 yrs. I clone the hard disks. The boxes/chips last for ages. For most purposes I just don't need more power. I use MS Office.I don't game. I don't seem to need more processor power. But I do when it comes to playing back and editing ADCHD. I tested a little bit of Xacti HD1000 footage and I could not even play it back (the sound did not sync)!Buy a newquadruple corepentium!? It is not so much the cost but the hassle of reinstalling all the software. So if there were a way of slotting in a card that made editing ADCHD easy, then that would be great. But there isn't.

EDIT

The thread above changed a lot while I was writing this post. Thank you for the clarification.

To sum, a graphics card will allow playback outside of Vegas (eg using Windows Media player), but both preview and rendering within Vegas will be unaffected whether I use a graphics card or not.
timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 1:47 AM   #9

rendering video requires the fastest cpu, fastest ram, fastest...well average s-ata 3gb speed drives to effectively convert videos in record times.

Most motherboards come with a "built-in"graphics chips which is enough for video editing in vegas. There are many variables that require you to successfully achieve video viewing and editing in realtime or what ever but....

Nero showtime is by far the most optimized mp4 viewer. On my brothers pc, it is built for speed (old pc now) and if I use mediaplayer or quicktime to view the video, it is garbage. Nero showtime playes these files just fine. Depending on which vlc you decide to use or if you want nero showtime, it is good. You have a copy of this in your sanyo cd installer.

my pc is now slow. It is a amd64000 black edition with 2gb ddr800 ram. It has 1 terabyte diskspace @ sata 3gb/s. my graphics card is HDTV HDDVD HDMI-HDCP compliant (8800gt BFG oc)and my monitor is hdcp compliant. vegas in native windows running full 3d graphics cards capabilities is as dead slow as the video I preview on vegas video in a virtualbox environment with 32mb of memory. That slow. slow like 5fps during previews. Virtualbox has alocated 700mb ram and 32mb video memory. My virtualbox under linux uses 1 of 2 cores to do rendering fast.... I can minimize windowsxp running vegas rendering hours of video and play enemy territory quake wars just fine. with this in mind, it is as fast as my real windows xp box. This is because the software is not configured right on my end or sony might be getting lazy... Ill probably research this later for faster renderings like maybee look for a switch to utilize all 2 cores.

This just means either software rendering is not optimized for my hardware yet....... Future software will take advantage of the gpu or videofx chips and that is if they decide to support it. As far as I know, Vegas video is pure software! The fastest affordable quadcore may help.

here is this guys expirience. I like reading forums but most of my info comes from facts.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/avchd-for...d-files-2.html

Old Oct 25, 2008, 1:57 AM   #10

Quote:

EDIT

The thread above changed a lot while I was writing this post. Thank you for the clarification.

To sum, a graphics card will allow playback outside of Vegas (eg using Windows Media player), but both preview and rendering within Vegas will be unaffected whether I use a graphics card or not.
This is correct. Depending on software, some are not optimized at all. Try nero showtime. It is very software optimized should work on slower machines. It worked fine on my 3200xp amd chip. take precautions for backing up and restoring incase you dislike it. nero has been starting to get on my nerves lately with all the required DRM technology. I have HD decoding as well and still see problems! Nero is my commercial solution. VLC is my free opensource solution.
I apologize for the mess I made here. I started with an answer and it exploded.