Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:56 AM   #1

I've read many comments in the various posts and of course faster is better than not fast enough but bottom line:

Is a decent quality Sandisk SDHC class 4 fast enough for HD on this camera?

I see that Sandisk has extreme II & III models that exceed the class 4 & 6 specs but is this really necessary?

Is there a published spec from Sanyo somewhere?

Thanks

Bob S.

staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:38 PM   #2

I use a Kingston SDHC (class 2 I think) 8gig card and it works fine. I have noticed that the faster cards I have found only go up to 2gig which is too small for me as I need at least 5-6 gig for my flying videos.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:43 AM   #3

Thanks. BTW, the faster cards go all the way to 16GB - class 6. I haven't looked for a 32GB.

So if class 2 is fast enough 4 should be fine.

I would still like to see a published spec from Sanyo. I don't understand why they don't have one?

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:53 PM   #4

I have Scandisk Ultra II 8 gig class2 card and it works just fine...paid $20 for it at Best Buy!
Zalpineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5

The maximum bitrate of the HD1010 is 14Mbps so you only need a class 2 SDHC card which would top out at 16Mbps. Remember the class refers to the minimum speed the card is guaranteed to work at.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:34 PM   #6

I will bump up this old thread because there is something new that people should know.

At the bottom of the camera next to the connector ,
its a sign of the class 10 mark ..

I took that information as an direction of what the camera needs.

And got an class 10 8GB ..

The point are that even if the footage are " limited " to 14Mbps,
in praxis about 1700KB per second .
The true fast card will pay out when the camera is used to transfer or receive files from the computer.

I do not know if all HD1010 haves the same marking (10) engraved at the same spot .
But my camera has it , and I could not ignore it .
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Out of curiosity, I checked my HD2000 and yes, I found the marking 10 at the bottom of my camcorder, just next to the tripod connector. Personally, I do not think it has anything to do with the class of the SDHC card to be used. Since there are two arrow heads going in opposite direction around the 10 mark, I would think that it has something to do with the thread of the tripod connector. In any case, I would just ignore it. BTW, I have no problem using just class 4 SDHC card for my HD2000.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:50 PM   #8

About the card speed , the first card that I tried on the HD1010 was an TRANSCEND 4GB 133X non SDHC .

The card worked nice , but I had issues that I could not determine at that moment.
At the end of the day , it was mostly related with the performance of the computer in hardware and software.

I did some benchmarks at the SD 133X and got about 18MB/s Read and 5.5MB/s Write speeds .
(High speed USB stick - SD Reader 150X )

But even so , I said to my self ... Get an 8 GB so to have about 90 min record time , and about speed I selected the 10X just to stop thinking of it.
Yes, the sign at the bottom of the camera effected me allot,
about getting the 10 class card.

Unfortunately , the Users manual its very poor about suggesting SD cards.

After getting the TRANSCEND 8GB class 10 SDHC, I run some benchmarks again ...
And the new card was 17MB Read 9.8MB write , but !!
I had use the Sisoft Sandra bench mark , and it benches the card at different file sizes ...

At the 2MB test ( that the actual camera produces 1900KB/S at 1080P 60Fields ) .... the 133X card was able to write at 1.500KB/S !!
(High speed USB stick - SD Reader 150X )

In conclusion any card are good if at the 2MB test offers true 2MB write speed or more ..

Unfortunately, by benchmarking the HD1010 docking station the Read Write speeds as card reader, are very slow like 4.5MB /s , as it uses low speed USB interface Ver 1.0 ( probably for wider compatibility ) .

Last edited by kiriakost; Oct 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM.
kiriakost is offline   Reply With Quote