Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:52 PM   #1

I have been a bit disappointed in the crappy electronic stabilzation on the HD1000/HD1010. The HD1010 claims to have improved, but I find that it actually looks worse in some instances. Last night I bought a license for iStabilize for Mac and tinkered with some of the settings on a few clips.

Here is one example:
http://vimeo.com/2155025

Here is the original:
http://www.vimeo.com/1837578

You can see that the motion is a lot less jerky, but the viewable area is reduced and in some instances where there is a lot of movement, the software extrapolated around the edges.

The UI of the software is really not intuitive and there are several setting that I will still play with. But overall I feel that it works well enough, though is a pain to have to run everything through it.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:35 PM   #2

Thanks Tummy, it definitely looks smoother. It is a problem with video cameras without optical stabilization. It doesn't help with the HD1010 being so small and light also.

Lets hope the next upgrade of the HD1010 has optical stabilization, as long as they can still keep it small and upto a $1,000 cheaper than some other optical stabilised cameras. The forever problem of price -v- features.

I have been trying to get virtualdub to play the HD1010 videos so I can use the free pluggin called de-shaker to so the same thing. It says it can't open the videos.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:12 AM   #3

you can open the video files in virtualdub i also use deshaker. use mp42avi to convert. make sure each video is not over 50 minutes or 1.5gb..darn i forgot but make sure it is not bigger than what it can open. There is a file limit mp42avi file size can use.

tummy, you can get good stable video if you use both hands. left index and thumb on the viewer and loosly (not too loose) hold the xacti with your right hand. I get good results this way. The reason why image is not as stable is because the camera is so light and there is nothing to stabalize your stabalizer muscles. Your arms are over reacting...
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 1:02 AM   #4

Thanks Cresho, I will give it a try. The only problem is most of my videos are over 2gig in size. I suppose I can use Avidemux to cut the video into sections.

Although my really long videos are from flying and I really don't have any problem with them shaking, unless my hang glider starts shaking. :lol: and if that happens I have more to worry about than shakey video. :G
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:04 AM   #5

if you want to use virtualdub with files over 4gb, you will need to convert to xvid mp3 avi. Of course, this extra step takes for ever.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:02 AM   #6

Thanks mate, but I should be fine with the large files, it is the smaller hand held ones I would like to stabilize.

One thing though any chance of giving me some real simple instructions re using deshaker in virtualdub. I have tried these simple instructions from this link
http://dvformat.digitalmedianet.com/...e.jsp?id=28849

"Change all the settings to match the above dialog, click on Pass 1 and go back to the main VirtualDub screen. Rewind and play to output. Return to the Deshaker dialog, click on Pass 2, go back to the main VirtualDub screen, and save the video."

All I end up with is a black screen telling me that "This frame was not processed in step1". What is "play to output" I think this is where I am falling down, I have just been hitting the play button to run the video to the end.

I am usually pretty good at following instructions but this one has got me stumped.

Thanks

Robert

Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:34 AM   #7

The result is impressive though, how quick was it? is it just for mac, pity!

Overall, I would be very pleased, the original is very shaky.

Question, did you have dis(digital image stab)switched on or off on the original?

Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:34 PM   #8

ill see about creating a plugin. Ill have to do some reading
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:20 AM   #9

Thanks mate
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:01 AM   #10

Adventsam wrote:
Quote:
The result is impressive though, how quick was it? is it just for mac, pity! Question, did you have dis(digital image stab)*switched on or off on the original?
It's not very slow. I think in other reviews people rate it faster than the stabilization in Shake or After Effects. I don't have either of those so can't tell you for sure.

I don't remember if stabilization was on or off in that clip, but almost all my movies look like that even with stabilization on. I'm sure my technique is not good to begin with, since this is my first camcorder.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote