Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:58 PM   #1

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/...anasonic_sanyo

Do you think it will help to improve the Xacti line? Panasonic is making some very good cameras.
Joseph_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:52 PM   #2

I think it will be the end of Sanyo. My guess is that Sanyo has some technologies that Panasonic wants, I don't see any other reason why a company that already makes good video cameras would want to buy Sanyo.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:59 PM   #3

Wow, that's incredible! My guess is they maintain it as a wholly-owned subsidiary, same like when AMD bought ATI.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:57 AM   #4

Unfortunately, the Sanyo name will dissapear I would think. Therefore Xacti, may becomePanasonic Xactiand maybe even get an is lense, which would be amazing, or it could just dissapear. My fear is it will dissapear and the technology may find itslef into a new breed of hybrid Panasonics, but this could take years.

Personally, I think its all over for Sanyo Xacti!
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:51 AM   #5

It will probably be end of Sanyo Xacti, perhaps Panasonic is continuing selling Sanyo products with Panasonic labels who knows. Panasonic actually has some pistol grip models (HDC-SD7) and Sanyo HD1010/1000 with Panasonic's Advanced OIS would be great. It would easily outperform all other pistol grip models in the market.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:03 AM   #6

It is all over for Sanyo Xacti. The business reports are saying that Panasonic is interested in Sanyo "a maker of batteries."

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-...811110069.html

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/07/news...onic_sanyo.ap/

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:12 AM   #7

Great .... just as I finally decide to buy the HD1010. I'm not sure it will make much difference though unless warranties are poorly honored. These devices have a very short technological shelf life. In 2-3 years it's into the garbage can and on to something else.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:25 AM   #8

As much as I liked my HD1000, I sent it back and have used two Canon HF100s and a Kodak Z1012 and a Kodak V1073 for all my recent work.

If only the Xacti could lock and hold focus reliably indoors...

This video was done entirely with the two Kodaks on 'auto':
http://vimeo.com/1811379

Inconvenient to hold, but they get the job done, even in difficult lighting and focus conditions.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:38 AM   #9

I know, I've seen your numerous postsabout your dislike of the XactiHD1000. Others have had good results and like the camera. So, I'm trying it out for a couple months.

Maybe I'll agree with you or find it to be just fine. My last camcorder was a Cannon HI8 from 1994 which produced great results but was a somewhat bulky ergonomic mess. It was one of the small ones too!

Things have changed a lot since then but overly complex operationand poor ergonomic design seems to be a constant. So far I like how this cameraphysically operatesbut I'm just starting the process.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:10 PM   #10

Kodak's video quality is like my Aiptek AHD200 but without ghostly sensor gridlines, but quality isn't so good compared to Sanyo HD1000/1010 video samples.

You never know what is going to happen, I think it is like Nvidia and 3dfx. I was formerly buying only 3dfx cards but fusion with Nvidia forced me to buy PowerVR's KyroII card and after that I bought only ATI display cards. Nvidia display cards were much inferior before fusion with 3Dfx, but now they are very powerfull market leader. I also owned PowerVR KyroII display card, that manufacturer vanished also, even they got state of the art technology with their tile based rendering architechture, which is now mostly vanished. Too bad becouse I think that architecture could provide much more 3D display power than todays graphics card can ever deliver. Tile based rendering just wasn't developed enought to make it worthwhile. I bet we could have more 3d graphics power with less electrical power than todays graphics cards.

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
As much as I liked my HD1000, I sent it back and have used two Canon HF100s and a Kodak Z1012 and a Kodak V1073 for all my recent work.

If only the Xacti could lock and hold focus reliably indoors...

This video was done entirely with the two Kodaks on 'auto':
http://vimeo.com/1811379

Inconvenient to hold, but they get the job done, even in difficult lighting and focus conditions.

Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote