Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1

1 day owner of HD700, from Amazon.com, $299 free shipping.

Overall very satisfy with almost the whole camera, except indoor video shooting. It is NOT acceptable. I tried to scan thru 1300 post on the HD700 user reivew, did not come across any suggestion about lighting. Video noise completely overwhelm the HD advantage. I am thinking to keep the HD700, ONLY, if I can improve indoor video recording. I am completely ignorant about video lighting equipment. Any someone with experience suggest some 'reasonable' cost for lightling equipment for video recording? I think with the help of video lighting, the HD700 indoor shooting may become acceptable. Or I am better off to go with the HD1010, which I think is $620

Start a new thread, as it is getting difficult to get info out of 1300+ posts :-)

Edit: Sanyo website shows HD800 with 3D digital noise reduction. Anybody has any idea about HD800? And the new 3D digital noise reduction wrt indoor video shooting?

Any idea where to find cheap large size SD cards? I am using a Adata 16 G and presumably good for 2.5 hr. The cheapest 32 G I can find is $64.99 from newegg.com, still a "little" bit deep for a hobby - my wife jumped in.

TIA,

bun
bunanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2

TRY ISO 50 WITH LIGHT AND WITHOUT AND WORK YOUR WAY UP.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:23 PM   #3

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
TRY ISO 50 WITH LIGHT AND WITHOUT AND WORK YOUR WAY UP.
Thank you. That is getting much better! I turned ON ALL the lights, i.e., a little bit brighter than ambien light, whatever it means, and set the iso to 100. The noise is much much reduced on my computer screen. I have NOT put it on my projector and try them on my home theatre system. Thanks again. As I suspected, noise/gain is mainly light intensity. Small lens, small amount of light can get in, it is purely physics 101. That is why I was thinking the HD1010 may have an edge as it seemed to have a bigger lens optics. My other digicam is panasonic PV 250 using miniDV tapes. Low light situation is also poor. I will continue to work on optimize the video output, I am getting slight upbeat now with this little wonder, HD700.

Anybody know the difference between VPC-HD700/EX/GX?

Edit: Anybody tried any battery extender on the HD700? I have been using this, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SZVMRW, for ALL my PDAs and it lasted almost forever, just want to know if anybody try it yet.

TIA,

bun
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:04 AM   #4

ahhhh...a pda fanatic! I use a zaurus c-3200 which has about 32gb. I have tons of movies on it as well as music and about 5000 games. Full word processor, browser, bluetooth to my phone for net access...i have it for a long time.

ohh

hd1000 suffers in poor light as well and that is what I mess with to correct noise. I just make sure I have plenty of light.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 3:04 AM   #5

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
...hd1000 suffers in poor light as well and that is what I mess with to correct noise. I just make sure I have plenty of light.
Since you stay with the hd1000 and 'managed' to be happy with it, I guess I will try to monkey with settings and see how it goes. I was very tempted to return it to get a HD800...........until I finished reading the HD800 thread, http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=92&page=1, "it is NOT any better". I am a realistic person, I got a $300 HD camera, I would expect some shortcomings. My 1st 2 digicam are Hitachi and Panasonic, both costed a 'fortune' . I still have them, sitting on my gadget collections.

bun
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:46 AM   #6

Hi bunanson,

I have my HD700 about 1 year and I can tell you that:

First: low light performance is the week side of the camera. I usually try to avoid to make video in dark areas or use ISO 200 or 400. Also you can choose the proper source of light (sun, electrical lamp, fluorescent or so). It could help in indoor situation. But night shootage outside is almost dead zone for HD700.
Second: I mostly use 640x480 mode now. It's strange but this resolution brings more details than HD one and it much better than I had with C6. Of course it's my subjective point of view. But I have big advantage of that: I can use my old 2GB SD card (1hour 29min) and my 5-years old PC for editing.
Third: I usually buy the cheap bataries from this guy on EBAY:
http://myworld.ebay.com/orphanbiker/
I did it for my old C6 camera and now for HD700. I've tested those batteries enough - I was in 2 week trip to Europe this summer where I've used 1 original and 4 additional ones. Have no problem with them.

FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:08 AM   #7

FZKAP wrote:
Quote:
Hi bunanson,...low light performance is the week side of the camera. I usually try to avoid to make video in dark areas or use ISO 200 or 400. Also you can choose the proper source of light (sun, electrical lamp, fluorescent or so). It could help in indoor situation. But night shootage outside is almost dead zone for HD700.
Second: I mostly use 640x480 mode now. It's strange but this resolution brings more details than HD one and it much better than I had with C6. Of course it's my subjective point of view. But I have big advantage of that: I can use my old 2GB SD card (1hour 29min) and my 5-years old PC for editing.
Third: I usually buy the cheap bataries from this guy on EBAY:
http://myworld.ebay.com/orphanbiker/
I did it for my old C6 camera and now for HD700. I've tested those batteries enough - I was in 2 week trip to Europe this summer where I've used 1 original and 4 additional ones. Have no problem with them.

FZKAP
Thanks for the info, especially the battery. It is good to hear people with good experience with a vendor.

I will try a little bit more on the HD700. I have reasonable expectation. I do not need pitch dark shooting. Even my $800 panasonic wont work! But 'ambient' light HAS to work! That is most of the situations. Social gathering, dinner party, visiting museums etc. If ambient light failed, as the way it is, it will be quite difficult for my use. Editing on the computer is NOT a problem for me............yet! As I dont know how to do it :-)
I do know the included software is sooooooo sloooooow that it is to be avoid, using Vegas is what people suggested.

Going back to the thread I cited for the HD800, night clipping, that the OP shared. It is a pitch dark shooting...........I hope there will be another upload with more like ambient lighting situation.

bun