Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:55 AM   #11

I am glad its not only me that is horrified by what the manufacturers have been allowed to do, and for those that cant see the wobble on the hd1000, I am glad for you. I had it for less than 30secs in my hands and could see it straight away.

Just as a caution, do not get a Canon SX1 it has no low-light capability at all and wobble, worse ever.

Good luck with all of your cmos sensors but for me, its ccd all the way for video. Stills, well cmos seems fine and why should it be!
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:53 PM   #12

Yes, I knew it about Canon SX-1. I ordered Sanyo HD700, CCD chip camcorder, I hope it is perfect for my purposes. If not, then what you can do about it.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:40 PM   #13

Yes when I first heard they were using CMOS sensors in higher end consumer models, I naively thought that they must've overcome the CMOS rolling shutter effect until I saw some video of the Canon HF100 on vimeo.

Having said that, for general consumer use I don't find that the rolling shutter effect to be that annoying as long as you don't make wild swings and pans. It also seems that different people have different thresholds as to what they may find annoying because I have seen some video clips where someone will mention the terrible wobble and I can only just see it! I am not on about the extremes like I have seen in some videos where it is plainly obvious because of vibration, walking etc.

From the way CMOS works it was my understanding that it would be very expensive to produce one that had no rolling shutter hence why even high end CMOS cameras still suffer from it.

I too would like to see more CCD sensors in lower end cameras but I can't see this happening anytime soon since they appear to be going the other way towards CMOS so we have to put up with it for the time being.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:15 PM   #14

As a newcomer to this digital videographer business I guess CMOS would quite ok as long as you don't attempt to capture things that move, otherwise you should use CCD as long as you are not attempting to capture things that are too dark... is that right?

Especially the former condition sounds like a dealbreaker for video capture; this is why video is needed in the first place, to capture stuff that moves...

Maybe I misunderstood things.
hsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:51 AM   #15

What makes me laugh is that people are naively buying new dslrs, d90/5dk2 at a major cost and thinking, oh well these will be great in low-light, I can compliment the photos with excellent videography. What is the first thing they do, try to pan or move in the direction of the very thing they are trying to film, what do you get, the worse video wobble you have ever seen. Plus the dslrs may be great at night but at times have such shallow dof it makes it un bearable to watch.

I really dont know how we ever ended up here, but for the moment videoing is not a great experience imo unless you are prepared to have it either on a tripod, or cant pan and zoom to quick or can have any low-light capability. Overall it does dissapoint me that with all this technololgy we cant have something the size of the hd1000 that takes decent video to an sd card with no wobble and a 10x is lense, is it that hard! it certainly appears so.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:21 PM   #16

To me it is amazing to have this kind of technology in palm of your hand, but it isn't perfect, nothing is. Many of these devices catch even more light than human eye ever could in to their sensors and makes night as bright as day, like Sony's nightshot.

Here is my theological conclusion:

So if CMOS is devils chip, like everything else is also devils achievements, wasn't that God send us to earth for torturing because of one mistake, so this is what we get, nothing is perfect to us and we are always trying to search for Holy Grail of perfectness which was left behind when we step out from paradise.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:53 AM   #17

They can solve the problem tomorrow, if they really want to, global shutter, as per ccd, instead of rolling. This is something that will cost money, but it will solve all the issues, then we have the holy grail!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:59 PM   #18

Maybe not tomorrow, it takes time to squeeze CMOS physics. But I still hope they will invent some usable way to make global shutter in CMOS camcorders, but who knows how long it takes 1 or 10 years.