Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:10 AM   #11

No need to get angry at me Trevmar, my previous post started with "Mr Tommy..." so I was in no way trying to tell anyone what brands to trust or not to trust.

I have a Cg65 myself, and for the price I paid, I would be more than happy if the camera broke so I had an excuse to jump to HD. but nevermind that, I was simply pointing the obvious: the HD100R probably wasn't even manufactured by Sanyo.

What I do know is this: for the low prices we pay for these cameras, I believe it is to be expected that they fail or break as often as they do. These are not the same consumer minidv cameras from a few years back (hell, some of those even had a manual focus ring and real CCD sensors.. try to find that on a cheap hybrid).
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:26 AM   #12

I guess my main complaint is that I'd be better off buying a new camera than fixing the young one I have. That ISN'T going to happen. I'd originally thought Sanyo was a 'good' name in electronics and I could trust them. While it worked, it did a fine job. I've got some YouTube stuff up that was more than adequate. The camera had some drawbacks (after all, it was only $200) but all in all, I liked it.

But to say it'll cost as much as a new one just to fix it (and I'm guessing it is just a computer chip glitch) is nuts - to me anyway. I'd have gone for a $50 repair, but $195 + shipping? Nope.

And if Sanyo just licensed someone else to make and brand it, they're shooting themselves in the foot if they don't support it.

I've been waiting for the price of HD camcorders to come down before I bought a 'real' one. This seemed like a nice affordable way to get my feet wet. It was - for a few months. So, now, back to waiting - ha.
Mr Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
No need to get angry at me Trevmar
Sorry if my response came across as directed at any member, it was not meant to be. If I was expressing any anger it was with the way that Sanyo diverged from the quality and size of the C6 and CG65 when they introduced their HD products. The HD700 let me down badly on an important shoot, and then 'grew' a manufacturing defect, as I documented here: http://www.vimeo.com/1207022

Sanyo had everything just right. Correct form factor, correct performance level, a decent interface (lacking only the ability to remember the manual EV and etc settings) and decent audio. Yet today I am walking around with Canon HF100's and a variety of Kodak HD cams (z1012, v1073). Of course the HF100 performance leaves the Sanyos for dead, but it is bigger and non-pocketable.
If only... Sigh...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:58 PM   #14

Hopefully this helps here is a link to sanyos website with the information on the model. http://us.sanyo.com/Digital-Cameras/...tion-Camcorder
Dalizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalizard View Post
Hopefully this helps here is a link to sanyos website with the information on the model. http://us.sanyo.com/Digital-Cameras/...tion-Camcorder
aha! so it is from Sanyo. then i retract my guesses on this not being a model made by sanyo electronics.

Still, just like Trevmar points out, Sanyo had the right formula with the C6 and Cg65. I actually own a CG65 and is so sturdy and portable, that unless it completely breaks or something similar, I see no reason to move away from it.

Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:02 PM   #16

Quote:
aha! so it is from Sanyo. then i retract my guesses on this not being a model made by sanyo electronics. ...
It could still be a case of badge engineering and not actually made by Sanyo as there are clones that are sold under different brands. I believe Toshiba was one of them.

Having said, even if not designed by them, it's their name on it and so they are responsible for the support.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Having said, even if not designed by them, it's their name on it and so they are responsible for the support.
I bought one of the HD100 and took it back the same day. Extremely poor low-light performance, no 'High Sensitivity' mode, and it lost all its settings (color, ASA, etc) when it went into Standby.

There had been some attempt by Sanyo to give it a user interface like the Xacti models, but it was a half-hearted attempt, sacrificing the best features of their previous operator interfaces...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
I bought one of the HD100 and took it back the same day. Extremely poor low-light performance, no 'High Sensitivity' mode, and it lost all its settings (color, ASA, etc) when it went into Standby.

There had been some attempt by Sanyo to give it a user interface like the Xacti models, but it was a half-hearted attempt, sacrificing the best features of their previous operator interfaces...
for the record, you quoted the wrong person here (but I agree with the quote anyway)