Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:36 PM   #1

Hi, If I use a clip on mic ( powered from the camera) with a10 meter microphone extention cablefor mySanyo Xacti 1010, is there any chance to damagemy camera? Is it safe to do so?
biju is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:45 AM   #2

YES you can definetly damage it If someone is walking by and trips on the cord. Technically speaking, I have no idea. Also, you mention that you are providing power from the camera to the mic? please elaborate. If you have a "self-powered mic", then we should not see any problems.

I would rather use a separate device embedded on the individual in question such as a lapel microphone if it is like for a wedding and such. In vegas video, you can simply mute the xacti clip and then use the microphone clip recording instead.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:53 AM   #3

Thank you. WhatI mean, If I use a ' Plug in' Microphone with long cord, normally the mic doesn't need extra power, it gets power from the camcorder itself. I would like to know whether the extra long cord will cause for any power mismatch with the camcorder or not? Means the long mic cord will add extra Ohms load to the camera?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:51 AM   #4

it depends on the quality of your wire. If your wire is made of pure gold, then We shouldnt see any problems.

According to the specifications of the xacti hd1000, this is what it says

[MIC] ø2.5 mm stereo mini jack (converts to a ø3.5 mm
stereo mini jack by the supplied microphone connection (microphone cable), 2 kΩ.
Sensitivity: less than –42 dB (plug-in power type
microphone)

It basically says it's 2 k-ohms. This is not quality as it is and you already want to push it way beyond its capability. What does your Microphone and wire say? I would seriously not try this because your audio will sound narrower or high frequencies will die. Could sound like an am station. I recommend wireless.

Here! let me give you a hint.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Impedance-matching and read up on
"Impedance-matching"

ohh and to narrow your search, Here is your answer.

pulled directly from wickepedia.
"Most professional microphones are low impedance, about 200Ω or lower. Low-impedance microphones are preferred over high impedance for two reasons: one is that using a high-impedance microphone with a long cable will result in loss of high frequency signal due to the capacitance of the cable; the other is that long high-impedance cables tend to pick up more hum (and possibly radio-frequency interference (RFI) as well). However, some devices, such as vacuum tube guitar amplifiers, have an input impedance that is inherently high, requiring the use of a high impedance microphone or a matching transformer. Nothing will be damaged if the impedance between microphone and other equipment is mismatched; the worst that will happen is a reduction in signal or change in frequency response."
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 4:33 PM   #5

Hi, Thank you very much for your valuable reply....Now I got an idea on it.

Happy New Year Wishes.....