Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:10 PM   #21

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
Its the constant upgrades that I have a problem with.... why dont they wait a while, get things sortedand release fewer models, there are so many different models at the moment its not funny. They are all very similar but have tiny improvements and newer features. The HD700 was a mess by all accounts, the HD800 not much better from what I read. The CG6, the CG65 (which I had), the HD1, HD1A, HD2.... and all the others in between.... what a product portfolio sanyo have!!!

I remember the C1,I had it, loved it. The C4 came out after a while, I didnt bite, the C5 was a huge improvement and I bought it. Then the CG6/CG65 appeared, I bought again and was happy enough but then the HD1 came out, I was tempted but resisted lucky enough.... HD1A..... em no thanks..... HD2.... hhmmmm that was quick.... HD1000..... now that has to be it!!! oops HD1010..... Damn you Sanyo!!!! HD2000.... no comment!

When you buythe latestsanyo, it wont be the latest for very long!!! I really think this is unfair, I like my HD1000 but when I saw the HD1010 come out that fixed the focus hunting I was pi**ed off big time. This would have been noticed in quality checking and testingno doubt but they released itanyway and then released a new model a few weeks later.... what a rip off!!!!! Come on, whats that about..... answer:they dont care about their customers!

I wonder when the HD2010 will be out.....
I agree with the Turk. I had a C5 and liked it. Then I bought a CG65 and gave the C5 to my son. The CG65 was a great improvement so I leaped at the chance to buy the HD700 when Amazon was selling it for $300. What a disappointment. The widest angle looked like it was on 5X zoom, almost impossible to work with. The colors were terrible so I sent it back. It's the only camera I've ever purchased that I sent back.

As the Turk suggests, a lot of us wish Sanyo wouldn't constantly put out new models and spend some time really fine tuning their existing cameras.

Sanyo has the handling qualities down pat. My CG65 is the easiest of all the hybrids for me to operate. The controls are perfect.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:57 PM   #22

I think they do an "update" every 9-12 months. That seams normal to me. Camera companies come out with new models as often or more. At least every 12 months at the big camera shows.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:00 PM   #23

Tummy wrote:
Quote:
I think they do an "update" every 9-12 months. That seams normal to me. Camera companies come out with new models as often or more. At least every 12 months at the big camera shows.
Sanyo releases new models faster than all companies out there that I've paid attention to.

I think one of the main complaints here that nobody is remembering to mention is the fact that a lot of things can be improved upon in our Sanyo cams with a simple firmware revision that they never give us. Think about it... the focusing issues could've easily been handled with a firmware upgrade. I'm also extremely confident they could've up'd the bitrate a little and given the HD1000 a 1080 30p mode with just a firmware revision.

I own a Cowon D2 mp3 player and they've been awesome with including fixes and even new applications with relatively frequent firmware upgrades. Sanyo however would rather release a slightly upgraded model and expect people to fork over $600 all over again. It's nonsense and it hurts their business. Think about it... those that went from the HD1000 to the HD1010 only to see that now, only a half a year later or so there's a new and better model coming out. Well, I think that worry about the latest & greatest model being right on the horizon might freeze a lot of people's spending. It has for me!

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:10 AM   #24

Well said Rev....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This 'hands on' review of thenew sanyosis interesting.... I am actually looking forward to an unbiased in depth review to see what the concensus is.

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...2000-20090121/

He mentions the digital zoom is handled differently... I wonder is this different to the previous models. Also the new noise reduction appears to smooth out the image with a loss in image detail. He says the add on lenses are good.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:33 PM   #25

I love hybrid cameras and see this as a niche Sanyo could have dominated. The Sanyos have the very best handling characteristics of any of the small dual use cameras. They are truly well thought out and user friendly.

About the image stabilization, I have a CG65 and have no complaints with the IS. However, those cameras with longer zoom are likely to be more susceptible to the shakes. I've noticed that Sanyo is claiming some special new IS system but I wonder if it really works. Just have to wait for a thorough review, I guess.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:29 AM   #26

I was just reading on the forum about the audio sync problem with face chaser and the HD1010, very interesting....

Maybe the HD2000 is an 'upgrade' that resolves this issue...

:G

Sarcasm is one of my finer personality traits.... if theres one thing that chicks dig, its a guy with a sarcastic sense of humour and scars, chicks dig scars! :-)
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:02 PM   #27

http://www.ephotozine.com/images/rev...2000_macro.jpg

Some photos here, nothing startling photo wise but detail for an 8mp tiny chip is impressive, note the f1.8 lense must give amazing low light performance for a compact superzoom,as a camera that is!
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:35 PM   #28

The VPC-TH1 looks interesting. I have been lusting after the Canon HF100 but it seems the 17Mbps 1920x1080p AVCHD video is a bit too much of a handful even on my Quad Core PC. 720P is a good compromise for me. I tried the HD700 but returned it as I didn't like the lens and the video was too noisy even for me indoors although it was very good during the day. Hopefully these newer Sanyos are an improvement.

I like the Pistol grip design but the VPC-TH1 has a 3 hour plus battery life which even if it only record 2 hours plus in the real world would be a great improvement in my opinion.

I was even thinking of staying with standard definition and replacing my C40 with a CG9 etc since they have the better h264 codec but I have found lately that I have been using my cheap Jazz HDV178 because I just prefer it's 720p video over the VGA Sanyo which is why I want to get a better quality 720p camera.

Since AVCHD is based upon the h264 codec, does it require the same amount of CPU processing for the same given bitrate, resolution etc. or is it a little harder to decode?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:40 PM   #29

budgie63 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice upgrade with the 60fps and the 8M still resolution, plus the interesting (and possibly useful, not sure if I'm fully getting the concept but I do like the idea of a wider angle than the standard HD1010 if that's what it achieves) wide angle feature. Of note though is what is not included with the HD2000: OIS. I won't be upgrading my HD1010 which I still think is a fantastic camera. Maybe a few more models down the track I may consider it.
opps.. i'm not too exciting .
olivia_k is offline   Reply With Quote