Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:30 PM   #1

hi to all.

i've had my CG6 for over a year now and still quite pleased with it.
but with the price of the CG9 now, i think i should "take a step forward", but not sure enough.

i know CG9 has more features compared to CG6, obviously, but is it worth it?
what about CCD vs CMOS in this case?
and as Sanyo will launch the new line in a few days, should i wait for them, what do you think?

i'm not considering the HD ones, yet, since it's still way above my pocket range.

thanks in advance for any opinion/advice.
sorry for bad English.:?
Paeijho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:59 PM   #2

From my reading, You should consider the camera if you are interested in 60fps recordings. but h.264 mpeg4 is not ready for the masses unless you are willing to fork out money for sony vegas, or some third party software to edit the videos. There are free ones out there but in reality, there are sync issues involved. Thirdly, reducing video footage from 60fps to 30fps successfully requires an excellent editor which can blend the videos together instead of just utilizing "every other frame" Vegas does just that, it blends video frames together making it seemless instead of something that would look like a "slide show" and "flickering".

both cameras are ccd.

You If you want great pictures, use something like a real camera. If you want great videos, use a real video camera. If you want to be in between, save up for something better. I think the issues above is something I would look at: 60fps, image quality of pictures, h.264 video editing. the h.264 video editing would concern me if i was in a budget.

Compare camera pictures, compare 60fps recording vs 30fps, also video conversions. I think you are good so far and this step forward will give you a bit of a headache.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:13 AM   #3

hi Cresho.
thanks for your response.

forgot to write here that i'm not like most of you here.
i don't edit my videos, i just want to shoot and enjoy whatever it comes out, good or bad.
and i also want a good decent pictures, even though something better would be great.

i'm not quite clear of your view, should i go for it(without the headache of course.:G), or should i save for something better?

btw, from the spec sheet, CG9 use CMOS sensor.
http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro..._cg9/spec.html
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:51 AM   #4

http://www.sanyodigital.com/specifications.aspx?v=21 I took a second look here and it is cmos. Thanks for pointing this out.

My other complaint about the new camera was the ability to record into a container that has usable and editable codec that are easily accessible to the average user. The MPEG-4AVC/H.264 iso standard is not common in most softwares and if you search these forums for software that is able to edit these types of files, you will find it difficult unless you place more money down for new software. Even then, there are cases where there is synchronization problems between audio and video. There are free ones but they have issues as well. Before you buy, make sure you are aware what you are getting yourself into. Download sample true video demos of the camera and see if you are able to edit them successfully. Then read up on cg9 bundled software: check if it satisfies the crowed. If I were you, I would wait.

other thoughts
-------------------------------------------

Then again, I used a RCA SteadyPix model cc9360 before I jumped midway into a high definition camera. Let me tell you that it was the best buy of my life regarding this big leap of quality. Small incriments of small boosts in image quality really doesnt impress me at all. For a camera, I still use a fujifilm s3800 which costs 50 bucks for day shots. It is way nicer than most new cameras and only 3.8 megapixles. What will impress me is when the new 2160p super high definition cameras will be available to us. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2160p

I hope this will help you some. For pocket cameras besides my hd1000, I am looking into upgrading my fujifilm for:
Canon Powershot SX10 IS
Panasonic Lumix FZ28
panasonic lumix fz5
canon sd1100
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5

ok, i'll think i'll pass CG9 and wait 'till CG10 reach "reasonable price".

thanks for your insight.

btw, for your upcoming pocket camera, i think you should consider the Lumix TZ series, i think they're great.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:08 PM   #6

interesting.... I miss typed the tz with fz. But I guess we are in the same page! I guess What I was trying to say is if you are happy, why upgrade? I been happy with the fujifilm s3800 for so long that I never thought of upgrading until i was reading up on the new stuff. Specs and images are enough to move me into the new direction.

one last thing i want to mention to you is that there are no high definition video resolution for recording......this alone should be enough to convince you. look at you tube! all high def videos.

Late!