Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 25, 2009, 4:53 PM   #1

I love the form factor of these new Xacti camcorders.
If it can't fit in my pocket, I won't have it when I need it !
(I own a Canon Elura 20 currently)

Trying to tease out the differences between the Xacti HD1010 vs newer HD2000 (not released yet).

All help appreciated.

digitaldoctors.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:08 PM   #2

from Engadget:

======
If you compare the specifications of this (HD2000) and the previous model (HD1010), there are substantial technical changes:

Stills: 4MP vs. 8MP in the same sized sensor.

Bit rates at full quality: 14 Mbps vs. 24Mbps - a substantial jump in quality! Drops max recording time.

Sensitivity: 9lux vs. 6lux normal / 3lux vs. 2lux high-sensitivity

The bit rate improvements are great (taking it into prosumer Canon/Sony/Panasonic territory) - will be interesting to see image quality benchmarks...
======
As an owner of the previous model Sanyo Xacti HD1010, I can say that these iterations seem to provide only minor improvements. A mostly trivial bump in pixels, a more useful but equally non-"wow" bump in optical zoom. I do wonder if low-light recording has been improved, or if there have been any improvements to the image processing. I doubt it though.

These models really would stand to benefit from OIS! That being said, I'm quite happy with my HD1010 and the footage it produces. If interested, just wait a few months for the price to drop into the reasonable range (my guess is the HD2000 will start around $800 and fall to about $600, with a little bargain-hunting, after 3 months). Recording to flash media really is the way to go these days.
==========

Has anyone ever heard of a "Upright" or "Pistol Grip" camcorder with Optical Image stabilization (OIS) ? I dont think the Sony HDRTG1 has OIS.

Old Jan 25, 2009, 5:11 PM   #3

I like the Black HD2000.

Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:31 PM   #4

My HD1010 takes 8mp stills, I think Engaget got that part wrong.

To maybe help you a bit with your decision regarding the 1010 and the 2000. If I was buying new now and money was not a problem I would go with the 2000 for the 60 frames/sec at full HD alone. If money was a bit tight I would go with the HD1010 shoot at 720p 60 frames/sec and upscale to 1080.

If the 2000 had the optical stabilization and no other improvement I would upgrade my 1010. As it doesn't I am going to enjoy my fantastic 1010 and wait for the next upgrade.

As you said the ability to fit this FULL HD video camera in your pocket is such a fantastic feature. I was on the hill the other day videoing some of my hang gliding and a mate had a new small Canon video camera, it was small but would not fit in his pocket and he had to carry it around in a little bag, while I had mine in my back pocket, hands free, without worrying where did I leave the camera.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:12 PM   #5

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
Your HD1010 does 8mp's *interpolated* - meaning it's only really 4mp resolution that's been scaled up in size to 8mp. The new HD2000 takes native 8mp photos which means it truly is an 8mp photo - not a blown up 4mp photo.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:21 PM   #6

You are right rev my mistake. :sad:
Old May 7, 2009, 2:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by relate2 View Post

I would like to know how is response time in pictures comparing to a regular point and shoot pocket camera.
Is the response time between taking 2 pictures is quick?
kubeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 11:51 PM   #8

Response time is quick or you want really quick just take 7 full size photos per second which is an option on the HD1010 & HD2000. Lastly take a video and just hit the print screen button on your keyboard and paste the photo into a photo editor, like this one.

Old May 10, 2009, 12:11 PM   #9

Your screenshot is not bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relate2 View Post
Response time is quick or you want really quick just take 7 full size photos per second which is an option on the HD1010 & HD2000. Lastly take a video and just hit the print screen button on your keyboard and paste the photo into a photo editor, like this one.

MP4-19B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 11:12 PM   #10

Just want to add to this for those reading from the beginning. From the review quoted earlier:

"Bit rates at full quality: 14 Mbps vs. 24Mbps - a substantial jump in quality! Drops max recording time"

This is completely inaccurate and whoever reviewed it needs a bop on the head The bitrate is 24mbps progressive at 60 frames per second. The HD1010 only does 1080 at 30 frames per second at 12mbps. So that makes sense. You double the framerate you double the bitrate. In reality it's the exact equivalent of the HD1010's 12mbps 30p.

However, the HD1010 also bumped up the interlaced mode to 16mbps which is impressive. My HD1000 is only 12mbps and the HD1010 interlaced mode was pushed up to 14mbps.

The plus though, is that the HD2000 does 1080 at 60 frames per second. I think the original reviewer just got confused.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote