Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1

Anybody know of any good software that removes the camera shake from HD1000 clips?

I know istabilization works very well but its for the MAC only...
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:02 PM   #2

Try using Deshaker plugin with virtual dub. Here is a guide with download links (http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/deshaker_guide.htm). Both the plugin and the application are free.

If you are looking for commercial software. I know there is a plugin called Mercalli that can be used with Sony vegas, Adobe Premierre and various other applications. I never tried this one. But heard it is quite good. Here is the link I just googled for you (http://www.prodad.de/gb/mercalli_std_details.html)

Regards.
sorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:38 PM   #3

I have tried de-shaker and really appreciate that it is free but found it complicated to use and it did not work as well as I would have liked. I don't have the hundreds of dollars to buy the Sony or Adobe editing software to try Mercalli,

Does anyone know of any other stand alone image stabilisation software that works with HD video on the PC?

Thanks

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:13 PM   #4

Robert,
Deshaker works really well for me.
You have to take the time to figure out the configuration settings.
This is a video which was taken with hand-held Z1012 and V1073 throughout, run through Deshaker with a long (2000) time constant:

http://www.vimeo.com/1811379

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:00 AM   #5

Hi Trevmar,

Thanks for the video it looks very stable, unfortunately the videos I am trying to stabilise are taken on a very windy hill which buffets me, also trying to follow hang gliders in the air is not easy.

I get much better video now that I have bought myself a mono-pod. Some of my older videos though are in the extreme with the shakiness of the video especially the one I really want most. It is one a mate shot of me flying and I mistakenly set the camera to 1080i 60 fields/sec instead of 720p 60 frames/sec the battery was low and he zoomed in a fair amount.

I may give de-shaker another go but there are so many variables. I am a press button A then button B type of guy. I spent about 3 days playing with a lot of different settings in de-shaker and I got some reasonable results but not really good enough for what I wanted.

The video posted of the mac program showing a split screen with the stabilised and non stabilised version side by side looked exactly what I needed, unfortunately I own a PC.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:47 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, gonna give that Mercallia try, theres a demo on that link you posted.... the lite version is 60 euro
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:33 AM   #7

You need Mercelli expert to render HD video not the light version and that is $217 Australian just for the plugin. You then need to pay out more hundreds of dollars for the editing program to use the plugin.

I guess I will just have to make sure I use a tripod until Sanyo brings out OIS for the Exacti.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:29 AM   #8

You should definitely try virtualdub with deshaker. It is the best! Once you understand it, it is way powerful. I just did a kids party and my original video was way way shaky. I used these and my final video output was better. I am impressed. I was thinking of purchasing the shake program for vegas but for some reason, I am unable to remove the artifacts vegas adds in video during compression. My final video output is less than spectacular! more like mediocer. The color has noise in other words, The silhouette of a person is fuzzy. I have a very sharp monitor just for others who try to tell me otherwise.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:57 AM   #9

Hey Guys, first of all thanks for all the help...

I downloaded Mercelli for sony vegas and its great!!!!! one problem it does have thought is with 60fps at 720P (I dont use 1080i on the HD1000). You get anerrormessage saying there is no render template for it and even if I create one it does not work. Interestingly if I set the properties to 50fps (PAL) instead of 59.4fps (NTSC) it works fine. Dont know what is happening, I even downlaoded the latest update.

Ah well, I can live with it, it works really well and is very fast.....
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:23 AM   #10

I just have to reply to a previous post I made about De-shaker. I said it would not work properly for me. Well my apologies, I just tried it on one of my normal shaky videos and it works quiet well.

My problem was I was trying to de-shake a video that was very and I mean VERY shaky plus it was interlaced to boot which makes it even harder to de-shake a video.