Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 18, 2009, 2:15 PM   #11

That is really good news. What you did sounds just like the last DVD I made.

All the pics I took in HK were widescreen versions and they worked really well fading into actual clips.

Sounds like this could be the perfect package for me

Thanks again

EDIT

I have just found Roxio Creator 2009 which seems to do everything too. It's £10 cheaper, but I can get it for £30 from Amazon, so that would make it 1/2 the cost of Serif...... false economy??? Basically as long as it can take Pictures and my 720p clips in the same project (which it seems to) and make the conversion from 60fps to 25fps PAL then I will be happy :idea:

http://www.roxio.com/eng/products/cr.../overview.html

renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:21 AM   #12

Probably like a lot of people here I've gone through a lot of software trying to work out what's best. I was using Ulead DVD movie factory (having converted the files using mp4cam2avi), and this worked OK, but the Ulead software on my 5 year old PC was very slow. So having had Serif software in the past I was entitled to movieplus x3 quite cheap, and I'd seen agood review of it.

Its fantastic, even on my old PC it has no problem handling the MP4 files, and its response time is good, so its obviously not got too much bloatware inside it (which is what one of the reviews said and made me give it a try).

Also unlike Movie Factory, its good for converting from one format to another, so for my blog I take the files and convert to the Youtube high quality setting which while not Hollywood quality (its onlyfor my blog after all!), makes the files much smaller for uploading to the web.

Hope this helps

Vince
vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:02 PM   #13

I've had no problems at all loading HD MP4 files in Corel Video Suite, which is essentially the continuation of ULEAD.
Transit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 4:40 AM   #14

Well I have finally bought myself a proper Video Editing package that seems to be ok.... to a point.

I was watching QVC the other day and thay were showing Cyberlink Power Director v6, it looked good, so I ordered it. Good thing with QVC is the 30 day no quibble return policy. (I Know there is Power Director V7 out now)

The program seems pretty good except that it has to be run as Adminstrator in Vista for some reason, but it does what I need.It accpets the MP4 Files directly with no need to convert to AVI and lets me put photos in between my clips.

So far I am quite impressed with the results and the lots of different effects on offer, but I still have the problem of the video in the end DVD being ever so slightly 'nicky' for want of a better word. It looks fab but movement isnt fluid. Because the Xacti is 59.97 fps and I want to make a PAL 25fps DVD something obvioulsy gets lost in the conversion. :?

One of the effects that I have tried and seems really good is the ability to apply an anti shake option to particular clips - it really does seem to work.

I think I am probably going to return it for a refund as I can't get a fluid DVD out of it. I know I could make an NTSC DVD, but I can do that with Windows Vista DVD Maker and that's free :-)

I wonder if "Serif's MoviePlusX3" would produce the same results as I am getting or would that have more/better options to get over the frame rate issue?

Does anyone know of a program free or £££$$$ thatwill convert the raw MP4 files or AVI's from 59 fps to 25fps? Maybe that would be an option and convert them first before using Power Director?

renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:57 AM   #15

converting 60 to 30 or 24 fps is tricky. I have tried blurr sometimes or motion blurr but with bad results. I need to play with settings more but have not tried too much in this area yet.

Sony vegas video does a superb job of such conversions but the video quality is horrible. For some reason, it adds artifacts and I been using the software for years. I may need to try one last video setting which is in the motion capture settings.

Corel has problems in the same way when I tried the demo in converting framerates which results in video flickering. Converting same framerates is not a problem though. Video output is just as bad or a bit better than vegas video because of the added artifacts.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:35 PM   #16

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
converting 60 to 30 or 24 fps is tricky. I have tried blurr sometimes or motion blurr but with bad results. I need to play with settings more but have not tried too much in this area yet.

Sony vegas video does a superb job of such conversions but the video quality is horrible. For some reason, it adds artifacts and I been using the software for years. I may need to try one last video setting which is in the motion capture settings.

Corel has problems in the same way when I tried the demo in converting framerates which results in video flickering. Converting same framerates is not a problem though. Video output is just as bad or a bit better than vegas video because of the added artifacts.
I found out the problem with vegas video 7 and 8. I was not using this software at all until I figured out why the artifacts where so bad in my final render.

Loading the file in vegas was not a problem. The xacti files loaded fine. The problem was the way it interpreted the files. I saw blocks of red that where fine lines about 4 pixles separating various reds in blocks which was noticeable but not that bad. It output the files in the same manner. It was very fine but noticable on my monitor. I then loaded a file created by movieplusx3. The files was incredibly sharp. Since vegas is now interpreting xvid files, it shows the video correctly and no artifacts what so ever. Even xacti converted files to xvid and opened in vegas looked really good.

As of right now, vegas 8 bad encoding was not the problem. It encodes really good as a matter of fact. The problem is the xacti mp4 file. It interpretes the codec bad and produces artifacts.

What I am wondering is which codec is interpreting the file in windows? I would like to use another interpreter.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:33 PM   #17

im putting this up incase people here use vegas for video editing.

this one seems to work fine for me and artifact free.

winff->vegas video 7 or 8

winff settings are.

preset name: xacti2vegasmpeg
preset labal: xacti 2 vegas mpeg
preset command line: -vcodec mpeg1video -r 59.94 -s 1280x720 -b 20000K -acodec mp2 -ab 320k -ar 48000 -ac 2

if you are using other framerates and sizes, the line above is self explanatory. Leave 20000k and 320k for vegas to utilize and reconvert from vegas to your favorite sizes.

This produced no artifact problems. I give winff and vegas a 10/10. with devede for video dvd, a 9/10 for the fact that devede is too simple. dvd architect is not recommended because incompatability problems with some players. framerate reduction produces a fluid and no framerate problems at all. its smooth after dvd previewing.