Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:13 PM   #1

We need a database of what people use to edit software or even hardware editors or viewers or how do you present your videos. I read some and seen some enginius configurations and exotic setups. List even commercial software which works for you and rate them and please include overall cost. Or just simply tell us what software you are using.

Here is my list of working softwares.

For linux, I use
winff->avidemux->cinelerra->output to mpg->winff for mp4 file or create a dvd with devede.
or
mp4cam2avi (wine)->virtualdub + deshaker(wine)->cinelerra (only edits mpg)->winff for mp4 file or create a dvd with devede.

on my virtualbox with windowsxp in linux
mp4cam2avi->virtualdub + deshaker->vegas video 7(mp3 enabled)->winff for mp4 file or create a dvd with devede or dvd flicks.

Mind you I have also created scripts for transcoding or passing through. Most of these processes are very fast. and are all free softwares (minus vegas)so this is why I have all these extra steps.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
my rating is
-------------------------------
mp4cam2avi 7 because you still cant view and cut scenes but transcoding is fine
virtualdub is 7 because it will not accept mp4 directly unless passthrough in mp4cam2avi
cinelerra a 7 because i need to convert mp4 to mpg for editing and will not accept mp4 directly
winff is a 9 because i need to create script files which is a bit tedious but results are marvalous since all it does is passthrough or convert
devede is a 9 since it works but menus are a bit ugly ...sort of but really good.
dvdflicks is a 5 since it works 50% of the time but it is very robust
Vegas video 7 is a 7 since it just works but you still need mp4cam2avi and output files usually is tough to get configured. it is mpeg4 divx and pcm. Radium crack divx mp3 works with vegas 7 and not 8 for mp3 audio or Use winff to get mp3 audio if you want to reduce file. THe other problem is the output video is a bit blocky or pixlelated. I'm not sure why but it is degraded quality wise. Not all will notice at all and good enough for most users.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

My overall cost for producing video is just pc purchase, time, electricity, and blank dvd's If I go the free route. Vegas video 7 was around 500 dollars.

pc is around 2 years old.

it has:
6400 amd black edition dual core
8800gt nvidia
gigabyte motherboard
2gb ddr800 ram
lots of S-ata drives 3gb/sec i think.
HP w2408 24 inch widescreen
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:28 PM   #2

I use Serif's MoviePlusX3 for virtually all of my editing. It cost me $49 on special, I think the normal price is $79. It does everything I need and some. It has its quirks like unless you have a very powerful computer it is best to let the program write it's proxy file before you start editing or the preview is very jerky, but hey $79 -v- $500 you can't have everything. :-)

It really is quiet powerful with photoshop like edits like levels, curves also blue screen, masks, stretch time etc.

http://www.serif.com/movieplus/

My computer is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.8 GHz
2 gig ram
9800GT Nvidia graphics card
ASUS motherboard

relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:28 AM   #3

I have just had a look at MoviePlusX3, but it doesn't list what files it accepts.

Does it take the MP4 files direct or do you have to change them to AVI's first.

Also, I am in the UK an I am having trouble getting discs which I created with Vista's MovieMaker to play in other peoples DVD players. It works ok in both of mine, but some of my friends player won't accept it. I had to burn it as an NTSC format to get it to work and therefore have to change the DVD to NTSC to get nice smooth playback.

Would you think MoviePlusX3 would mange to convert the 720p 60fps to PAL friendly 25fps? It does seem to have lots of options for that kind of thing

I would love to try it, but I don't think they offer a trial version

renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:50 PM   #4

I'm actually trying this software (on a side note) unless i need deshaking through virtualdub(pre-editing):
1. It imports directly to the video editor.
2. It outputs to anything you want including mp4(not xacti standart), avi, etc. and you can practically use xvid and mp3 as codecs. It uses codecs from your system as well.....its freakin good.
3. your project settings has default settings and you can create new ones including adding size, pixle ratio, 59.94fps
4. your output has settings pre-installed and you can also create new output templates easily including adding 59.94fps.
5. The video quality output of the movieplusX3 is in fact better than vegas video 7 or 8 but then again it is not as robust.
6. relate2 introduced it to me a while back and he is correct that it has plugins which give your videos the bang it needs.
7. This software has way better codec support than vegas video. You can't beat the price in my opinion.
This is your one step all in one video editor for the xacti and them crazy nuts at sanyo should of went with these guys for licensing instead of the junk they added in the disk.

so my workflow with this is

movieplusX3->to file
or
movieplusx3->devede or k3b (linux)->dvd

One thing I am not too certain is the codec it comes with. Is it using it's own or running off the codecs I preinstalled with codec packs?

anyway, my current codecs installed are the (don't install these if you dont need em)
XP-Codec-Pack-2.4.5.exe
XviD-1.1.2-01112006.exe
lame-3.96.1.zip
ffdshow_beta5_rev2033_20080705_clsid.exe

I give this software a 9 rating and not a 10 because of the lack of hardware accelerated video through the gpu, and no real project settings that matches your xacti (but easily added by user interface) and in combination with devede(free) its about a 8 overall. I have not tried the dvd menu editor for movieplusX3 so I can't comment.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:43 PM   #5

You are spot on with your review of MoviePlusX3 Cresho. Regarding the codecs they have a set up to save them money that works like this. If you need a specific codec the program will prompt you to unlock it, then they only have to pay royalities if the customer uses the specific codec rather than paying for every codec even though a customer may never need it.

One little flaw it has though and I have emailed their development team about it is if you want to export in MP4 format it will process smaller sizes but not 1280X720 or 1920X1080 the option is there to set those sizes but the program does not process the file. this is the first version of MPX3 so I think it just needs a patch. It will do WMV, MOV, .h264 at those sizes and at the moment I just process in WMV and upload to Vimeo and Youtube until they fix it.

Regarding renpriv's question, yes you can covert 720 60fps to Pal friendly 25fps, just make sure you use the "Project settings" under "File" before you start editing your project. For some reason whatever settings you set for size under the export settings are overridden by the project settings, which is understandable I just wish they would have the settings all in the same place.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:00 PM   #6

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
You are spot on with your review of MoviePlusX3 Cresho. Regarding the codecs they have a set up to save them money that works like this. If you need a specific codec the program will prompt you to unlock it, then they only have to pay royalities if the customer uses the specific codec rather than paying for every codec even though a customer may never need it.

One little flaw it has though and I have emailed their development team about it is if you want to export in MP4 format it will process smaller sizes but not 1280X720 or 1920X1080 the option is there to set those sizes but the program does not process the file. this is the first version of MPX3 so I think it just needs a patch. It will do WMV, MOV, .h264 at those sizes and at the moment I just process in WMV and upload to Vimeo and Youtube until they fix it.

Regarding renpriv's question, yes you can covert 720 60fps to Pal friendly 25fps, just make sure you use the "Project settings" under "File" before you start editing your project. For some reason whatever settings you set for size under the export settings are overridden by the project settings, which is understandable I just wish they would have the settings all in the same place.
export to xvid and you do get 1920x1080 or 1280x720 at any frame rate. Just use xvid for video codec bitrate 10000(16000 for quality) and mp3 audio using l.a.m.e. . If you cant use the mp3 codec output, I recommend......this file...not sure if its illegal or what but its wierd. lame-3.96.1.zip or ra-codec12.zip. the radium mp3 codec for windows xp is practically long forgotten but works fine and i can export mp3 audio in any rate through vegas video 7 (doesnt work on version "8") and works with MoviePlusX3.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:44 AM   #7

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
That is really good to hear. Although I did manage to create myfirst DVD of my trip to Hong Kong, it really was hit and miss whether or not Vista MovieMaker would actually burn a disc, then if it did, would it play or not. :O

In the UK they are charging £60 for it, but as I have my California trip in May and a Caribbean trip in November, I think it will be worth investing in it..Thanks again for your help and information

I guess when it converts from the original fileto 25fps PAL it would be quite a long process, I don't mind that as long as the end result is a fullwidescreen DVD with great quality :bye:

Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:13 AM   #8

I tried badaboom to do quick CUDA encoding...
It changes framerate to 30 from 60 and can't handle HD1000 sound.
No thanks.

mtmfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:53 AM   #9

I forgot to ask..... can you also add photos into the same project with MoviePlusX3 like you can in Vista MovieMaker..... that is really important to me as I like to have my photos mixed in with my video clips:|
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:31 AM   #10

I just dragged a random jpeg. It seems smart enough to accept it and auto adjust the height. Also, i streched the length of time since the default seems to be 5 seconds. I think you can drop like 10 and will auto arrange..not sure. I did a transition and it blended the video with jpeg transition with no problem. took 5 seconds to check.