Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:42 AM   #1

I am looking for a compact DC with HD movie capability (with zoom).
I have been using Sanyo HD700 for a while and have been happy with it as far as HD movie is concerned. But the still picture part of it is not that great and I often have to carry another DC for picture taking.

HD700 is now quite old and I am sure other compact has caought up with it in HD movie capability.
One major spec I chose Sanyo was the H264 format that can be played directly in PS3.

I have searched extensively in Panasonic and Sony compact and found at least several that satisfy at least some requiements such as Panasonic TZ and FX series (older series cannot zoom in movie), and Sony T500 (and others).

Thing I do not like Panasonic is the Quicktime movie files which is a pain to play and convert (which is a must step). I viewed some of the sample files from Steve's reviews of FX/TZ series and they do not look great on my PC.

Thing I do not like about Sony is the high price memeory card. I have not been able to find any sample files.

But these things can be overcome and I can live with that IF the quality.
Can anyone who have used Sanyo HD700 and others can recommend alternative.

What I want:
1. At least 5x zoom (wide preferred) and HD movie zoom capability.
2. compact size - Panasonic TZ 10xZoom is large but that can be the biggest 3. can be played in PS3 without conversion - preferred but this is not a must.
4. 8mp at least - but this is almost minimum with new compacts.
5. price - not important. New high end compacts now inevitably has a ceiling price which is favourable compared to years ago.

I am posting this in Sanyo, Panasonic and Sony forums so please please forgive the multi post.
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:04 AM   #2

I looked at the Panasonic TZ15 as it is known in Australia, the 10X compact, for my hang gliding. What really disappointed me was the sound quality and the really slow zoom in movie mode.

I ended up going with the Sanyo HD1010 and I must say my Canon S2 and Sony H9 digital cameras have sat in the cupboard since. The HD1010 to my eye takes very good digital photos and the video leaves the digital still cameras for dead, even the ones that supposedly take 720 HD video.

What I find is because the Sanyo can fit in the back pocket of my jeans I carry it virtually every where and I don't need a camera bag to carry it around in. You know the old saying comes to mind.....An instamatic camera in your hand will ALWAYS take a better picture than a DSLR sitting at home in the cupboard.

The new Sanyo HD2000 is out and may also be worth looking at.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:18 PM   #3

interesting..have you seen the new one coming out?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09...nasonictz7.asp
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:03 PM   #4

Now that's one to certainly keep an eye on, although I don't know how AVCHD Lite will work out in practice. It lookes as though they listened to the feedback with the sound quality. It would definitely work as a wing camera for my glider with the nice wide angle lens.

I tell you I am amazed at how far they are pushing the boundaries with cameras, even 5 years ago to have a pocket camera with a 25-300mm lens was unheard of, let alone with HD video as well. I say keep it coming.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:29 PM   #5

I finally narrowed down to 2: Panasonic TZ7 and Samsung WB500 (and WB550)

And I have bought WB500 because it is more than $100 cheaper than TZ7.

Moreover, TZ7 is not yet available (as WB550).

I am giving it a run down.

celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote